classic flight mode?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

refuse
x4

classic flight mode?

Post by refuse » Sat, 26. Aug 17, 17:15

will be possibility in game to controll ships directly via mouse?
I like classic mode with invert pitch mouse.

Thank your for ansver
Last edited by refuse on Sun, 5. Nov 17, 17:30, edited 1 time in total.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 26. Aug 17, 17:31

Forwarded for post-XCon questions.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

zanosg
x3ap

Post by zanosg » Wed, 20. Sep 17, 03:59

If classic mouse mode is not available, I will NOT purchase this game. I feel like I have wasted my money on Elite Dangerous because I expected it to be able to do classic mouse mode only to find out that it cant. So its unplayable for me.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 20. Sep 17, 06:17

Whatever it is, I hope it's highly configurable, enabling the user to make valuable choices about their game experience.

Personally, I don't like an inverted axis for the mouse in an X game. Why? Because that's not what I'm used to for an X game. Plus, there's no atmosphere, so some idea of lifting surfaces requiring physical effort to move, and some sort of gravity making it easier to pull back as one is pressed back... No sense.

But, whatever - I want players to enjoy the controls in whatever manner best suits their preferred control scheme.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 20. Sep 17, 13:53

The dev reply to the OP's question is in the Q&A Index Sticky:

Q. Will we be able to control ships directly via mouse?

A. The game is designed with mouse and keyboard being the primary controls in mind.

Xenon_Slayer
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Xenon_Slayer » Wed, 20. Sep 17, 14:08

What is 'classic' mouse mode? As with X3 and XR we have the behaviour that the ship turns towards the mouse cursor. There are two modes, whether you have to click for the turn or whether it's always on.

Or do you mean 'classic' like in the older X games?

refuse
x4

classic flight mode with invert mouse

Post by refuse » Wed, 20. Sep 17, 15:52

yes i mean the mouse mode like in older x-games, or like in another space simulators (Elite dangerous, or for example Everspace, Independence War..., Descent series, Freespace series and many another games)

these cotroll schemas is also possible set in many flight simulators, and also in many other first person games

I play every games in mouse with invert pitch (invert Y), and I hope that it will be possible to set in new X4 game

the "Freelancer" control scheme in X-Rebirth is unplayable for me
Last edited by refuse on Wed, 20. Sep 17, 16:02, edited 1 time in total.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 20. Sep 17, 15:57

It's pretty common for games that have flight-sim-like gameplay and accommodate mouse controls to have an inverted y-axis option.

Did X:R not have this option? If not, then I would agree it needs to be implemented in X4. If it does, then I'm sure they'll continue that functionality.

refuse
x4

direct control via mouse with invert mouse

Post by refuse » Wed, 20. Sep 17, 16:17

no in X-Rebirth does not possibilďty to set invert pitch for flight only for walk on station, why? it is weird?

I use invert mouse many years and perfect suit me.
it's a question of habit.

So I would like to set it in X4

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 20. Sep 17, 16:21

@ refuse: I don't understand your issue.

In X Rebirth in Settings, Controls you can Toggle Mouse Steering between cursor-follow and classic, and in Mouse Settings you can invert axes.

Just explore the Controls options.

(I use inverted mouse pitch for flight.)

refuse
x4

No way - it would be fine

Post by refuse » Wed, 20. Sep 17, 16:57

Would you like to help me please, i can't to find it - maybe some screenshots?

I tried to find it, but i cant to find any Toggle Mouse Steering between cursor-follow and classic

I still think that it is no possible in X-Rebirth (yes this is possible in X3 series)

Thank you
Last edited by refuse on Wed, 20. Sep 17, 17:25, edited 1 time in total.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 20. Sep 17, 17:18

I mean in:
Settings/Controls/General Controls/Steering Digital/Toggle Mouse Steering/- key bound
Settings/Controls/Mouse/Invert Axes/ - axis options

Also if that doesn't work for you, I think the option to invert pitch is also available in just about every mouse control console supplied with your mouse driver. You might have to change this setting between play and non-play sessions if you use that though.

refuse
x4

thank you but it dont work

Post by refuse » Wed, 20. Sep 17, 17:47

yes, i know togle mouse steering

but Settings/Controls/Mouse/Invert Axes/ is only for FP (first person) and only work on stations not work for flying

do you really fly with invert pitch? how?

i tryed everything, so i hope that it will be possibly to set in X4

i try to change also gamepad mode but without success

-----
in the past i tried to find solutions for invert mouse posibility in games via mouse drivers and it is too complicated, also i dont want invert mouse for whole game only for movement, not for menu... for example

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 20. Sep 17, 18:46

I think I understand the issue better now and will try to explain more clearly.

No, you cannot invert the flight mouse pitch in the in-game controls. However, you don't need to do that to get the same effect as classic X3 game mouse control with inverted pitch.

In any X3 game with the option 'Invert Mouse Pitch' selected as 'Yes' (which is how I play), when you push the mouse forwards the ship's nose goes up and in forward flight the ship will then fly upwards. Obviously pulling the mouse back drops the nose of the ship. Remember, this is true only with the 'Invert Pitch' option. Otherwise without that option, the mouse would act just as an aeroplane's joystick would - pull back to climb and push forward to drop.

In X Rebirth, by default, when you push the mouse forwards the cursor and the Skunk's nose goes up and in forward flight the Skunk would fly upwards. Pull the mouse back and the Skunk's nose drops.

So you see X Rebirth is already in classic X 'invert pitch' mode.

refuse
x4

i need invert pitch without cursor

Post by refuse » Wed, 20. Sep 17, 19:11

i dont remember exactly how i set mouse (invert/no invert) in X3 but there is
mode without cursor steering and i can inverted mouse for pitch

when I push mouse down the ship nose goes up and when I push mouse up the ship nose goes down

this is what i need!!!

the same behavior mouse like in every fps games like quake... :-)
is it now clearly described?

Do you play for example new space game Everspace? this is not space sim exactly but this is good example how is possible to solved the problem, there is posible set every what you like (mouse steering like in Freelancer game and normal mouse mode with fix cursor in the middle and invert or no-invert settings)
The same setting was possible for example in Spaceforce Rogue Universe too :-)

so why I can't set it in X-Rebirth? and I really want it in X4
Last edited by refuse on Wed, 20. Sep 17, 19:21, edited 1 time in total.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 20. Sep 17, 19:20

I understand now. You want the mouse to act as if it were the joystick in an aeroplane - as with many flight sims. That is also how the earlier X games play with Invert Pitch off.

I don't think X Rebirth can do that, and your mouse driver cannot do that just for flight but not for everything else as well.

You can do what you would like in Rebirth using a joystick or controller thumbstick though.

Sorry for misunderstanding about exactly what you wanted.

zanosg
x3ap

Post by zanosg » Wed, 20. Sep 17, 19:37

Alan Phipps wrote:The dev reply to the OP's question is in the Q&A Index Sticky:

Q. Will we be able to control ships directly via mouse?

A. The game is designed with mouse and keyboard being the primary controls in mind.
That doesn't really answer the question really. Sorry but the answer I would like to know is just not there.

zanosg
x3ap

Post by zanosg » Wed, 20. Sep 17, 19:39

Xenon_Slayer wrote:What is 'classic' mouse mode? As with X3 and XR we have the behaviour that the ship turns towards the mouse cursor. There are two modes, whether you have to click for the turn or whether it's always on.

Or do you mean 'classic' like in the older X games?
Hi. Please watch this video. He explains is perfectly. Around 2 minutes into the video he starts talking about classic mouse mode. Basically with this on your mouse pointer is directly tied to your ships "crosshairs".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bcNhvp9daQ
Last edited by zanosg on Wed, 20. Sep 17, 19:54, edited 2 times in total.

refuse
x4

yes that is correct

Post by refuse » Wed, 20. Sep 17, 19:45

But I think, that set only invert mouse for pitch would be horrible for control ships, without fix in the cursor in the midle - in the Everspace is possible tick "centered crosshair"

Another solution is two modes for controlling ships like in X3-series and possibility to switch them.

----
I tried for example couple years ago to set invert mouse via driver in Freelancer but without centerred cursor it was unplayable.

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Wed, 20. Sep 17, 21:59

Breaking it down technically to what it is would solve a lot of confusion.
The "classic" boresight mode (default X3:R and older) is velocity driven: The faster you move your mouse, the harder you turn (capped by the ships max turn rate limit) in the direction you moved your mouse in. Stop moving the mouse, the ships stops turning.

The default steering in X3:TC and newer titels is position driven. You position the cursor and the turnrate direction of the ship is based on relative distance of your pointer to the center position of the screen. Joysticks are similar (but they measure angle instead of relative position)

velocity driven is better for precision and accuracy (provided the ship has quick reaction/ high turnrate) and it is intuitive. Position driven is better for slow reacting ships (capitals) - because you dont have to scrape a hole through your desk to complete a 360 turn. However, to stop turning you always have to check your screen if you are in the "deadzone" - because there is no selfcentering mechanism on computer mouse like you would have on a normal joystick.

Inverted pitch can be implemented for both methods.
[ external image ]
X-Tended TC Mod Team Veteran.
Modeller of X3AP Split Acinonyx, Split Drake, Argon Lotan, Teladi Tern. My current work:

Return to “X4: Foundations”