One question that might not have been asked - sub-displays/monitors

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

One question that might not have been asked - sub-displays/monitors

Post by euclid » Sun, 27. Aug 17, 17:12

Hi all,

Due to a family event I was not able to participate at the life stream event but I've watched the first presentation (Bernd's) on youtube. However, either I've missed this issue or it was never raised:

Monitors

As you will remember, in previous X games there is this nice feature to setup several ship monitors. Independent of the ship type you always could define an external view and/or a target view.
The first is quite useful when navigating areas with lots of obstacles, for example asteroid fields. The latter is mostly for the fun to watch from the missile view approaching the target.

In capital ships (more precise, ships with turrets) you could change a monitor to turret view (actually cycle through all turrets) and also operate the turret manually.

Hence, there are two questions here:
  • 1# Will there be an option to setup additional custom ship monitors (top left/right etc.)?
    2# Will it be possible to manually operate turrets?
Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

Ricemanu
x4

Post by Ricemanu » Sun, 27. Aug 17, 17:22

Regarding question #2: Bernd said no to that in the presentation.
#1 sounds cool but my personal experience would say that since it's not really in Rebirth, it probably won't be in X4.

LTerSlash
x4

Post by LTerSlash » Sun, 27. Aug 17, 19:12

What i always wanted to do on X3 and it was not possible is just to send the secondary monitor to another physical monitor, or maybe having the sector map on a second monitor, etc.

Ricemanu
x4

Post by Ricemanu » Sun, 27. Aug 17, 19:25

LTerSlash wrote:What i always wanted to do on X3 and it was not possible is just to send the secondary monitor to another physical monitor, or maybe having the sector map on a second monitor, etc.
This would be amazing, especially with the new map feature. Unfortunately, i think this is not an easy feat for a regular UI system.

SamuraiProgrammer
x4

Post by SamuraiProgrammer » Mon, 28. Aug 17, 00:34

LTerSlash wrote:What i always wanted to do on X3 and it was not possible is just to send the secondary monitor to another physical monitor, or maybe having the sector map on a second monitor, etc.
THIS!!!

Please oh please please please

Even if the second monitor is only text information!

Just think.. a spreadsheet like grid showing trade prices & availability color coded with trends.

*swoon*

Rei Ayanami
x4

Post by Rei Ayanami » Mon, 28. Aug 17, 01:25

Ricemanu wrote:Regarding question #2: Bernd said no to that in the presentation.
#1 sounds cool but my personal experience would say that since it's not really in Rebirth, it probably won't be in X4.
Additional monitors wasn't part of X2 either and they implemented it in later X titles.

Heck, they already implemented that multi-monitor in X:R which has different display options and some mods make it possible to watch your selected target or your missile that you shot, so it's not impossible to implement these monitors in the X:R/X4 engine.

skylinedr
x4

Post by skylinedr » Mon, 28. Aug 17, 10:08

I loved the multi monitor setup in X3. Always had a target monitor and a second one to see the back turret, like the mirror in my car. I really hope its possible again in X4.
Ich mag den Gedanken einer "Spukhaften Fernwirkung" nicht. - A.Einstein

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Mon, 28. Aug 17, 10:41

Rei Ayanami wrote:
Ricemanu wrote:Regarding question #2: Bernd said no to that in the presentation.
Additional monitors wasn't part of X2 either and they implemented it in later X titles.
Target monitors were already a part of X2, where it was also possible in a limited way to move them to a second monitor.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Rei Ayanami
x4

Post by Rei Ayanami » Mon, 28. Aug 17, 13:07

X2-Illuminatus wrote:
Rei Ayanami wrote:
Target monitors were already a part of X2, where it was also possible in a limited way to move them to a second monitor.
They were ways to have more ingame views/ingame monitors? Well, it has been a while since i played X2. :oops:

Also, you mean using additional PC monitors in X2? I never used a second monitor with my pc. But good to know, for the next time i play X2 again.
Last edited by Rei Ayanami on Mon, 28. Aug 17, 17:05, edited 1 time in total.

Perahoky
x4

Post by Perahoky » Mon, 28. Aug 17, 16:59

Please respect to misunderstandnings between ingame-monitors and physical monitors.
I think you mean different things here.

(Physical-)Multi-Monitor-Support wasn't provided in X2 nor X3 - i asked for it and tried it (correct me if i'm wrong - i hope so :P )

But it would be also fantastic to have this feature.
Second map is used to control my property/the universe, first monitor used to fight & flight.
Just like in Supreme Commander etc.
"Hope is the last force i have"
"This is how liberty dies, with thounderous applause"
***Modified***

Rei Ayanami
x4

Post by Rei Ayanami » Mon, 28. Aug 17, 17:04

Perahoky wrote:Please respect to misunderstandnings between ingame-monitors and physical monitors.
I think you mean different things here.
Except for my last sentence in my last post ("never owned two monitors") i meant ingame monitors/ingame views/additional ingame cameras. :roll: I edited my previous post to make it a bit more clear.

Kitty
x3tc

Post by Kitty » Mon, 28. Aug 17, 23:47

Euclid, I hope so. I miss the 1+5 monitor map of X2. This does not prevent me from playing to X3x games, but, well, I really liked to be able to observe my turrets, external view, and targets at the same time while displaying the cockpit in the main window.

#pray

Ricemanu
x4

Post by Ricemanu » Mon, 28. Aug 17, 23:53

Rei Ayanami wrote:

Heck, they already implemented that multi-monitor in X:R which has different display options and some mods make it possible to watch your selected target or your missile that you shot, so it's not impossible to implement these monitors in the X:R/X4 engine.
That sounds very interesting. Can you guide me towards that please? I already searched before you posted that info, but couldn't find anything relevant.

EDIT: Yes, of course, monitor... vs. display... i meant actual physical displays, while you guys were talking about the ingame ship monitors. :D :oops:

SamuraiProgrammer
x4

Post by SamuraiProgrammer » Tue, 29. Aug 17, 01:58

To be clear, I would love to see the game be capable of using multiple physical display devices. I think it would be great!

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Wed, 30. Aug 17, 15:07

Kitty wrote:Euclid, I hope so. I miss the 1+5 monitor map of X2. This does not prevent me from playing to X3x games, but, well, I really liked to be able to observe my turrets, external view, and targets at the same time while displaying the cockpit in the main window.

#pray
This is exactly what my question is about. However, a little bird told me that it is very unlikely to happen in X4 :-(

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

JSalzbrunn
x4

Post by JSalzbrunn » Sat, 11. Nov 17, 15:22

SamuraiProgrammer wrote:To be clear, I would love to see the game be capable of using multiple physical display devices. I think it would be great!
That! :D

patient zero
x3tc

Post by patient zero » Mon, 13. Nov 17, 05:42

I asked about multiple displays in another thread.
CBJ wrote:There are technical reasons why this wouldn't work, but a more important factor is that it would utterly destroy the immersion. Being able to move interactive displays within your cockpit might be nice, provided it made sense within the 3D game environment, but then they couldn't be Windows-windows. Making them Windows-windows and being able to drag them around your desktop would dump you back in the real world in a most unpleasant way.
This is only a virtual reality.

rulerofallcheese

Post by rulerofallcheese » Mon, 20. Nov 17, 16:32

Ahem...

NPC dialog shouldn't turn off the minimap or block user input! Come on guys! Just put that stuff into the ship's log if you don't want to implement a full monitor/watch window feature. This would be a huge improvement to the experience and seems like something that should be easy to implement because the functionality already exists to support it.

Pretty please? Would a round of beers for the team convince you?

gbjbaanb
x3tc

Post by gbjbaanb » Fri, 24. Nov 17, 00:21

patient zero wrote:I asked about multiple displays in another thread.
CBJ wrote:There are technical reasons why this wouldn't work, but a more important factor is that it would utterly destroy the immersion. Being able to move interactive displays within your cockpit might be nice, provided it made sense within the 3D game environment, but then they couldn't be Windows-windows. Making them Windows-windows and being able to drag them around your desktop would dump you back in the real world in a most unpleasant way.
CBJ is wrong. Plain wrong. Immersion is not provided by displaying a fixed cockpit on a (in my case) 25" monitor with flowery wallpaper behind it. Immersion comes from the gameplay that lets you ignore the flowery stuff, and focus on the game. Moveable windows, no problem if you get the game right.

Now if X4 used a 360 VR system going, he might have a point.

The Q
Pancake Award Winner 2017

Post by The Q » Fri, 24. Nov 17, 09:33

gbjbaanb wrote:
patient zero wrote:I asked about multiple displays in another thread.
CBJ is wrong. Plain wrong. Immersion is not provided by displaying a fixed cockpit on a (in my case) 25" monitor with flowery wallpaper behind it. Immersion comes from the gameplay that lets you ignore the flowery stuff, and focus on the game. Moveable windows, no problem if you get the game right.
Immersion comes exactly from the flowery wallpaper behind the gameplay. If this wouldn't be the case, you would be able to "play" any spreadsheet software by calling it a space game.
Morkonan, Emperor of the Unaffiliated Territories of the Principality of OFF-TOPIC, wrote:I have come to answer your questions! The answers are "Yes" and "Probably" as well as "No" and "Maybe", but I'm not sure in which order they should be given.
xkcd: Duty calls

Return to “X4: Foundations”