EnglishGermanFrenchRussianItalianSpanish

Give it another try
View previous topic :: View next topic
RainerPrem

MEDALMEDALMEDAL

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Mon, 4. Sep 17, 15:59    Post subject: Give it another try Reply with quote Print

Hi,

Seeing X4 has motivated me to give Rebirth another try. Having read all those tips I took my time to buy heavy shields, the fastest available engine and a bulkload of different missiles before attempting to board the Taranis.

At the moment I'm rather frustrated, because around it are three PMC Suls with a big load of - I assume - fighter drones. My shields are depleted every time before I even reach the Taranis. And the the big things are shooting at me, so it only takes five seconds or so before "Game over".

Any tips how to avoid dying again and again?

cu
Rainer

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)

MEDALMEDALMEDAL

PostPosted: Mon, 4. Sep 17, 16:02    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Avoid the PMC drones by parking just about inside one of the friendly supporting force capitals and let them shoot at the drones/Suls and take all the shots meant for you. Pop out to resume the fight again when the odds are less stacked against you.

lostboron

PostPosted: Mon, 4. Sep 17, 16:18    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

You could try an easier target. Once you have a capital ship, you can try to direct it towards the suls.
If you really want to do it all by yourself, get a lot of astrobee, tristar and novadrone missiles. For the novadrones, you need to know your target well to be able to direct them towards the most problematic turrets, from a safe distance. You can also target the reactors to buy some time.
Use the astrobees against the drones, it works well but you might need a lot of them. Or you could destroy the drone launching pad with a novadrone if you know where it is.
When you get close to the suls or taranis, use the tristars to quickly destroy the turrets. Seek shelter at the back of the taranis where it cannot hit you easily.
Destroy every turret, shield, jump drive and drone launch pad and reduce hull a lot before you attempt boarding.
Most importantly: make sure there is no "friend" in the area that would destroy the taranis when you are boarding it.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)

MEDALMEDALMEDAL

modified
PostPosted: Mon, 4. Sep 17, 16:22    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

IIRC, the pre-hacked Taranis target is neutral to the friendly forces supporting you, so they won't attack it.

You don't need to destroy every surface element on the Taranis either as they have been hacked and so play no part in the defence against boarding, nor do they add (much) to the target's boarding defence score. You can take the target fairly intact (apart from the engines, jumpdrive and hull?) with quite a weak squad of green marines as long as you do what boarding assists Yisha demands.

Caveat: The above is all from a few versions ago - probably 3.51.

Last edited by Alan Phipps on Mon, 4. Sep 17, 16:33; edited 1 time in total
RainerPrem

MEDALMEDALMEDAL

PostPosted: Mon, 4. Sep 17, 16:32    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Alan Phipps wrote:
Avoid the PMC drones by parking just about inside one of the friendly supporting force capitals and let them shoot at the drones/Suls and take all the shots meant for you. Pop out to resume the fight again when the odds are less stacked against you.

Hi,

there are *no* friendly force capitals. The only non-red ship is the one that gave me a lift, and there are no places to hide. Should I land on it again?

cu
Rainer

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)

MEDALMEDALMEDAL

modified
PostPosted: Mon, 4. Sep 17, 16:34    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Hmm, there should be some others jumping in to help. Yes use the one there if you can until other options arise. I didn't land, I just bravely hid nearby or in one. Very Happy

I wonder if this mission has changed since 3.51?

Last edited by Alan Phipps on Mon, 4. Sep 17, 16:36; edited 1 time in total
RainerPrem

MEDALMEDALMEDAL

PostPosted: Mon, 4. Sep 17, 16:35    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

lostboron wrote:
You could try an easier target. Once you have a capital ship, you can try to direct it towards the suls.
If you really want to do it all by yourself, get a lot of astrobee, tristar and novadrone missiles. For the novadrones, you need to know your target well to be able to direct them towards the most problematic turrets, from a safe distance. You can also target the reactors to buy some time.
Use the astrobees against the drones, it works well but you might need a lot of them. Or you could destroy the drone launching pad with a novadrone if you know where it is.
When you get close to the suls or taranis, use the tristars to quickly destroy the turrets. Seek shelter at the back of the taranis where it cannot hit you easily.
Destroy every turret, shield, jump drive and drone launch pad and reduce hull a lot before you attempt boarding.
Most importantly: make sure there is no "friend" in the area that would destroy the taranis when you are boarding it.

Hi,

I don't see any capital ship for myself in the near future. Is there even a chance to buy one in Albion? This is still early in the campaign.

Or do I understand anything wrong?

cu
Rainer

RainerPrem

MEDALMEDALMEDAL

PostPosted: Mon, 4. Sep 17, 16:37    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Alan Phipps wrote:
Hmm, there should be some others jumping in to help. Yes use the one there if you can until other options arise. I didn't land, I just bravely hid nearby or in one. Very Happy

Having the fastest engine and the biggest shields, I *can* stay in a safe distance from those. Do they have an expiration date like the drones in X3?

cu
Rainer

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)

MEDALMEDALMEDAL

PostPosted: Mon, 4. Sep 17, 16:42    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Here's some support for my method.

RainerPrem

MEDALMEDALMEDAL

PostPosted: Mon, 4. Sep 17, 16:46    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Alan Phipps wrote:
Here's some support for my method.

Do those drone carriers have a limited number of drones? I noticed that I can take each one out with a single Starlight missile. I've got thirteen of them left, and if I can thin the herd, it could perhaps work.

cu
Rainer

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)

MEDALMEDALMEDAL

PostPosted: Mon, 4. Sep 17, 16:51    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

They don't have an endless supply of drones, but they only launch them in small batches and hence keep the threat to you going for a fair while.

I'm more interested in what happened to the rest of the HOA capitals that are supposed to be helping you, to be honest. I think that there is a delay before they arrive though. Just hold out and see.

RainerPrem

MEDALMEDALMEDAL

PostPosted: Mon, 4. Sep 17, 17:00    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Alan Phipps wrote:
They don't have an endless supply of drones, but they only launch them in small batches and hence keep the threat to you going for a fair while.

I'm more interested in what happened to the rest of the HOA capitals that are supposed to be helping you, to be honest. I think that there is a delay before they arrive though. Just hold out and see.

I'll try. In the meantime I got a call from a woman telling me that I was behaving unacceptable near their station, and she was giving my data to the police ...

What the H***???

cu
Rainer

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)

MEDALMEDALMEDAL

modified
PostPosted: Mon, 4. Sep 17, 17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Sorry, your private affairs in real life are not relevant to the game ... Very Happy

Oh, you mean in the game? I suppose the zone is PMC-owned or -allied. Since the PMC are there legally and I'm unsure whether your presence and your 'unprovoked' attacks on PMC property are as legal, she may have a point.

Last edited by Alan Phipps on Mon, 4. Sep 17, 17:14; edited 1 time in total
RainerPrem

MEDALMEDALMEDAL

PostPosted: Mon, 4. Sep 17, 17:12    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Alan Phipps wrote:
Sorry, your private affairs in real life are not relevant to the game ... Very Happy

Groan. Not funny at the moment. I sneaked in, destroyed the jump drive and got away again. But the next run I was killed again.

cu
Rainer

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)

MEDALMEDALMEDAL

PostPosted: Mon, 4. Sep 17, 17:18    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Wait, is there more than one Taranis in the zone? If so you could be hitting the wrong one in terms of eventual boarding. I found it best to wait until later when the obvious target ship is hacked and then Yisha tells you what needs to be destroyed.

You know the more I hear, the more I suspect that this mission may have changed since I did it in 3.51.