Set primary product in complex and questions about logistics

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

MrKincaid
x3ap

Set primary product in complex and questions about logistics

Post by MrKincaid » Mon, 4. Sep 17, 20:29

I am building my first complex in Albion Prelude. For now there is a silicon mine, crystal fab and solar power plant. Now that every product is used by another part of the complex there are only intermediate products and ressources. Are there scripts or mods to set a product as the primary product that should be sold?
Last edited by MrKincaid on Thu, 7. Sep 17, 17:38, edited 1 time in total.

Timsup2nothin

Re: Set primary product in complex

Post by Timsup2nothin » Mon, 4. Sep 17, 21:19

MrKincaid wrote:I am building my first complex in Albion Prelude. For now there is a silicon mine, crystal fab and solar power plant. Now that every product is used by another part of the complex there are only intermediate products and ressources. Are there scripts or mods to set a product as the primary product that should be sold?
CAGs can be set to sell only designated products, whether they are intermediate or not. If you want to have the complex open for trading with other races you can control what they buy through your price settings. If you set the price on an intermediate product at average or above they generally won't buy it.
Trapper Tim's Guide to CLS 2

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

MrKincaid
x3ap

Post by MrKincaid » Mon, 4. Sep 17, 21:31

That's how I handle it for now. But this also means that this trader only sells energy cells even if there is a shortage of any of the intermediate products. Also you would have to set this for every CAG itself. And if, for some reason, all the energy cells get sold then the CAG will go and buy them for 20 credits (maximum price because nothing in stock) and then after bringing them to the complex and the stock is over the threshold it will take the recently bought cells and sells them for 18 (minimum price because many in stock). A global setting at the complex would be much more comfortable and with the energy cells as primary product they will never be bought.

Making other ships buy by setting the price below average is also not a good option. Why should I sell them for 14 when I can sell them for 20?

Edit: Oh, and then there is also the problem that new CAGs only can buy resources. He must level up to Trader first before he can sell and buy intermediate products. If you build a new complex and have no CAG to spare from another complex then you first have to assign a CAG that levels up to trader only by buying ressources while you can only assign a normal factory trader to sell stuff. You can't blacklist or whitelist items for them, so he would sell all the intermediate products and also there is no dynamic pricing for factory traders.

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Mon, 4. Sep 17, 21:48

CAGs can be set with a threshold inventory value. That is, they will not sell any intermediate product if the inventory is below X% of capacity. So they won't "sell you out" of something that you need. You might need to adjust that value based on production at your complex and the cycle times of your factories.

As to pricing, a CAG will do the best it can within the price parameter you set. In other words, if you set the price of e-cells at 16 and have a CAG designated as an e-cell buyer it will get the best deal it can find within range, but will never pay above 16. Another CAG designated as an e-cell seller will get the best deal it can find within range, but never sell for less than 16. Unless your market is really swamped almost all of your purchases will be below, and almost all of your sales will be above, and the worst that can happen is some cells will pass through on a break even.

Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

MrKincaid
x3ap

Post by MrKincaid » Mon, 4. Sep 17, 22:03

I wouldn't have a problem with a CAG selling all my energy cells. They are the product I want to sell. I would have a problem with a CAG buying any energy cells. I could work around this be setting the CAG to a salesman, I guess he would only sell then. But this negates one advantage of the CAGs: You don't need designated buyers or sellers. The ships can do both. And as far as I understood they even do the same in one run. Loading products, jumping to a station where they can sell, then jump to a station nearby that has resources, buys them and comes back to the complex. This wouldn't work with designated buyers and sellers.

About the pricing: I understand it works like this:

I set the minimum and maximum for energy cells (as product) to 16 and 20.

Now the stock is full and the script sets the price to 16 to have more options to sell them. If the stock is empty it sets the price to 20. The opposite for ressources. Here you would set the prices like 12-16. If you don't have any the price is set to 16, if your stock is full the price is set to 12. (Exactly like tha dynamic prices on all the stations work.)

Of course if the price to buy is set to 20 that doesn't mean the CAG buys for 20, he still takes the best offer he can find. The problem here is that you can only set one price for buying and selling, but that's an issue with the game, not the CAGs.

Anyways, all these are workarounds that wouldn't be necessary if there was an option to set an intermediate product to a primary product. That's why I asked if that is somehow possible. :)

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Mon, 4. Sep 17, 23:03

You do use the CAG dynamic pricing function? Interesting. I've never touched it. I like my fixed prices.

The CAG has adjustable limits. The Trade Duties menu:
Purchasing Intermediates
The Agent will buy intermediate wares if their stock at the complex is below this value. This value is also when selling intermediate wares; the Agent will always leave at least this much in the complex in order to safeguard production.

Selling Intermediate Products
The Agent can sell intermediate wares if the stock level exceeds this value.
Push the purchase limit down. Then the CAG has little reason to buy ECells.
Push the sell limit somewhat down too, so that the Complex won't keep huge stock.

I see no huge problem in buying ECells. They are probably cheap. If the CAG then proceeds to sell those same ECells, it will get a better price; there will be profitsss.

Not only credits, but transactions with the NPC too. Those could improve both Trade Rank and Race Reputation.

Besides, if you buy all the cheap energy from NPC SPP's, then the NPC Energy Traders will drift elsewhere and your CAG might have better chance to find/reach "better" NPC energy consumers.

I'd fix the intermediate prices at average and let the CAG do its thing.

CLS and CAG pilots are exchangeable. One can "train" a pilot with CLS2 already before one has any Stations.

One can transfer pilot from one station to another. I have non-loop stations, where my CAGs learn. There are some slots to save/restore config.

One could, on a "learning station" that has two CAG's, have the experienced as Salesman that leaves all purchases to the apprentice and ensures by selling that the Station craves for more resources.

The trivial "workaround" (that requires one more ship) is to not connect the SPP into the Complex. Then you have products.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

MrKincaid
x3ap

Post by MrKincaid » Mon, 4. Sep 17, 23:53

I like the dynamic pricing. I don't want to sell my energy cells for 14 credits per unit. If there is no customer who is willing to pay 20 credits I can wait until they run dry and pay the price. However, if my stock runs full I have to sell them or else I can't produce energy cells which means I am losing credits. So if this happens I want to sell them cheaper to make space for production.

You have a point with buying cheap cells at other factories and selling them with profit. This would also have the advantage that no one else can buy cheap cells when I bought them all and they have to pay the higher price. But again: The problem here is that there is only one price I can set. If I want to buy cheap cells and sell them at high prizes I would have the set the minimum and maximum to 12 to 20. But then the CAG could sell at 14 or buy at 16, depending on the stock. I don't know why egosoft thought it would be good to have one price setting for buying AND selling. It would have been easy for them to make two options: a selling price and a buying price.

Didn't know of the CLS yet. To be honest, I don't fully understand what it does. I just tell him to sell a product of his homebase, set a price and he goes off and sells the product? And when you make him a CAG he keeps his level?
One can transfer pilot from one station to another. I have non-loop stations, where my CAGs learn. There are some slots to save/restore config.
Of course you can. You even must do this. At the first level they only buy ressources so you need to level them at least once to have them sell products. But levelling three times is much more time consuming. And again: Just because you can't say that this is my product I want to sell. Just because you also use this product to manufacture more of it doesn't mean that this isn't your product anymore. I produce and sell energy cells. I don't know why it shouldn't be possible to do it in a complex the same way I would do it in a SPP.
The trivial "workaround" (that requires one more ship) is to not connect the SPP into the Complex. Then you have products.
Still a workaround. And, as you said, it requires an additional ship and more logistics. A simple "this is the thing i want to sell" would solve all the problems. Before I start to look for workarounds I want to check if there really is no solution. ;)

Sinxar
x4

Post by Sinxar » Tue, 5. Sep 17, 00:45

MrKincaid wrote:Are there scripts or mods to set a product as the primary product that should be sold?
Yes it is included in the bonus pack for Albion Prelude. I didn't answer when I first seen the post because I assumed the others knew and could provide detailed instructions to get to it but since that doesn't seem to be the case...

It is the Global Administration (part of the CAG script) and you may have to set a hotkey to get to it. You can switch products between primary and intermediate by clicking on it.

Look here under Global Administration: https://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=275924

The place where you switch the product is "Complex settings". Just scroll down or search for Global Administration to find it quickly in that thread.

MrKincaid
x3ap

Post by MrKincaid » Tue, 5. Sep 17, 00:57

Oh wow, I knew of that Menu, it's where I set the dynamic prices. I didn't know you can just hit enter on an intermediate product and it becomes the main product of the complex. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks. :)

And also thanks to jlehtone for the discussion, it also really helped me. :)

Great to have such a helpful and nice community even for a game that is 6 years old now. :)

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Tue, 5. Sep 17, 02:41

I just have to say that if you are waiting for a price of 20 you are likely in for a very long wait. A production cycle takes a number of e-cells to start...say 30 at some random example factory. If the factory has 17 in stock it cannot produce...so that 17 is never going anywhere and the price will never rise from 19 to 20. Eventually someone will come along and sell at 19 and the odds are 29 to one against them hitting an even multiple that will lead to a price of 20 the next time around either, since to have a price of 20 they must have zero in stock.

Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

MrKincaid
x3ap

Post by MrKincaid » Tue, 5. Sep 17, 11:49

The same is true for my complex. The price will only be set to 20 when there are almost no cells left. If there is no one who pays 20 for them the price will gradually go down to 17.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Tue, 5. Sep 17, 20:14

It could be interesting to have statistics over longer period.
The CAG has "Trade Log" in "Configure Reports" that should write data to a text file.
  • Fixed ECell price at 16cr.
  • Dynamic 16--20cr pricing.
How many transactions CAG does in each case? Amounts, actual prices?

In other words, one should be able to show whether pricing makes a difference, and if yes, how much.

Sinxar wrote:Yes it is included in the bonus pack for Albion Prelude. I didn't answer when I first seen the post because I assumed the others knew and could provide detailed instructions to get to it but since that doesn't seem to be the case...
:oops: Gosh, totally forgot that feature (along the rest of CAG globals). I've seen the BP manual(s), for the feature was already in the X3TC CAG, long before actually playing X3TC/AP.

MrKincaid wrote:Didn't know of the CLS yet. To be honest, I don't fully understand what it does.
No Sir. Not it. Them. There are two CLS (Commodity Logistics Software): CLS1 (Internal Logistics) and CLS2 (External Logistics).

CLS1 first appeared (essentially) in X2. It is the equivalent and forefather of Complex Construction Kit. Just like the tubes, the CLS1 transfers (intermediate) wares from player producers into player consumers. Tubes are nice, but not everything can be connected to a single Complex.

I have a Hammer Forge. It has CAG. The Forge buys only cheap resources and is willing to sell Hammers at average-1. I do not expect it to ever sell.

I have a Dock. It has a CAG. It trades Hammers at average-1. In theory it could buy cheap Hammers from NPC and sell to NPC Docks.

The Forge has a CLS1 too. Set to deliver Hammers to my Dock. I have set it to charge a price for each delivered missile. Price that barely covers the production costs. Price clearly below average. My Dock funds the Forge, but the Forge does not make profit. If the Dock sells to NPC, it will make good profit.

I have a CLS2 ship at the Dock. It does buy (it could simply load) Hammers from my Dock at average-1. The CLS2 is set (by default) to take/put credits from the player account.

There you have it. When I go to War, I take some missiles with me. The CLS2 refills from the Dock and transfers credits from player account into the Dock's account. The CLS1 refills the Dock and transfers credits from Dock to Forge. The Forge gets enough credits to produce a new batch of missiles.

CLS2 does not need any home. CLS2 can trade. It is like a train on predetermined route. More involving to set up, but with imagination and diligence an amazing tool.

For better CLS2 examples, look at Trapper Tim's Guide to CLS 2 (in signature of Timsup2nothin).

MrKincaid
x3ap

Post by MrKincaid » Wed, 6. Sep 17, 18:19

I had a look at the CLS now because my complex is ready and I have to deliver Ore and Silicon to the complex and Energy Cells from the complex to the mines. Can this be done with on CLS?

It looks to me that I would need 3 CLS. One with the complex as the homebase that supplies the mines with energy cells. One with the ore mine as homebase that supplies the complex with ore and one with one of the silicon mines as homebase that supplies the complex with silicon from both mines. If I set the ore mine as homebase there is no option for me to set the silicon mines as suppliers. Is this correct? Is there a better way to supply the mines with cells from the complex and bring ore and silicon from the mines to the complex?

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Wed, 6. Sep 17, 20:03

MrKincaid wrote:I had a look at the CLS now because my complex is ready and I have to deliver Ore and Silicon to the complex and Energy Cells from the complex to the mines. Can this be done with on CLS?

It looks to me that I would need 3 CLS. One with the complex as the homebase that supplies the mines with energy cells. One with the ore mine as homebase that supplies the complex with ore and one with one of the silicon mines as homebase that supplies the complex with silicon from both mines. If I set the ore mine as homebase there is no option for me to set the silicon mines as suppliers. Is this correct? Is there a better way to supply the mines with cells from the complex and bring ore and silicon from the mines to the complex?
I'm not sure, but from reading this it appears you are using CLS 1...the internal supplier. I use CLS 2 (external) for pretty much everything and can't really answer questions about CLS 1 very well. If you want to know how CLS 2 works there's a link to a guide in my sig.

Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Wed, 6. Sep 17, 20:30

MrKincaid wrote:Is this correct?
Yes, for CLS1. Easy to set up.

Single CLS2 ship can probably do it. Slightly more clicks to start. I suppose.

Are the Mines in same sector?

If they are, then they can be connected to form a Complex. Complex that has both Ore and Wafers as Products. Then one CLS1 can haul both Mineral types.

Tractor Beam (Paranid tend to make/sell them) in M6 and you can tow a Mine close enough to others in order to join into Complex. Towing in X3TC/AP is very easy (compared to X3R, particularly the very first tow implementation in X3R).

MrKincaid
x3ap

Post by MrKincaid » Wed, 6. Sep 17, 22:35

Timsup2nothin wrote:I'm not sure, but from reading this it appears you are using CLS 1...the internal supplier. I use CLS 2 (external) for pretty much everything and can't really answer questions about CLS 1 very well. If you want to know how CLS 2 works there's a link to a guide in my sig.
Yes, I wanted to use the CLS1 for this because it seems he has a look at the stocks of all mines and the complex and only loads wares if they are needed somewhere else. At the moment I set up a CLS2 to do a supply run. First he loads as much energy cells as he can. Then flies to the ore mine, unloads as much ec as possible and loads the free space full with ore. Then he flies to the silicon mine, unloads as much ec as he can (if he still has some left), loads full with silicon wafers then flies to the second silicon mine and does the same. At last he flies back to the complex, unloads as much ore and silicon wafers as possible, loads ec and so on. The problem with this is that I produce more ore and silicon then I need. So the complex runs full of ore and the freighter can't unload everything leaving less space for ec. With every cycle there is more ore in the freighter and therefore less space for energy cells. At some point the freighter is full with ore and can't ship ec to the mines. Not a problem for the ore mine, the complex is full of ore anyways. But the silicon mine also don't get energy cells which means no silicon wafers in the complex -> no crystals -> no energy cells and the production stops.

Also, setting this up was a pain in the ass. You need a lots of clicks to add the waypoints. And I used a new untrained CLS for that (only 4 stations in the same sector, so he is capable to do this). But because you can just set 4 waypoints for the untrained CLS you can't add actions to existing waypoints once you added the fourth. I had to set the waypoints on one of my trained CAGs, then save it, load it at the untrained CLS and then edit every load/unload because of the higher cargo limit in the actual CLS.

I will have a look at your link to see if there is a better solution.
They are. I wanted to avoid moving the mines. I found it more challenging and interesting to set up a proper supply route with freighters. I was hoping CLS1 would be good enough to supply multiple stations at the same time. I mean, he is already at the mine and he has to fly back to the complex. Why shouldn't he load some ore and silicon wafers when he flies back? But it looks like this will be the way I'll do it. Otherwise I would need 3 freighters with 3 pilots who get paid for flying around with no cargo, half full or just sitting around doing nothing. Not gonna pay these lazy paranids for nothing. :D

ajime
x4

Post by ajime » Thu, 7. Sep 17, 08:32

MrKincaid wrote:
Timsup2nothin wrote:I'm not sure, but from reading this it appears you are using CLS 1...the internal supplier. I use CLS 2 (external) for pretty much everything and can't really answer questions about CLS 1 very well. If you want to know how CLS 2 works there's a link to a guide in my sig.
Yes, I wanted to use the CLS1 for this because it seems he has a look at the stocks of all mines and the complex and only loads wares if they are needed somewhere else. At the moment I set up a CLS2 to do a supply run. First he loads as much energy cells as he can. Then flies to the ore mine, unloads as much ec as possible and loads the free space full with ore. Then he flies to the silicon mine, unloads as much ec as he can (if he still has some left), loads full with silicon wafers then flies to the second silicon mine and does the same. At last he flies back to the complex, unloads as much ore and silicon wafers as possible, loads ec and so on. The problem with this is that I produce more ore and silicon then I need. So the complex runs full of ore and the freighter can't unload everything leaving less space for ec. With every cycle there is more ore in the freighter and therefore less space for energy cells. At some point the freighter is full with ore and can't ship ec to the mines. Not a problem for the ore mine, the complex is full of ore anyways. But the silicon mine also don't get energy cells which means no silicon wafers in the complex -> no crystals -> no energy cells and the production stops.

Also, setting this up was a pain in the ass. You need a lots of clicks to add the waypoints. And I used a new untrained CLS for that (only 4 stations in the same sector, so he is capable to do this). But because you can just set 4 waypoints for the untrained CLS you can't add actions to existing waypoints once you added the fourth. I had to set the waypoints on one of my trained CAGs, then save it, load it at the untrained CLS and then edit every load/unload because of the higher cargo limit in the actual CLS.

I will have a look at your link to see if there is a better solution.
They are. I wanted to avoid moving the mines. I found it more challenging and interesting to set up a proper supply route with freighters. I was hoping CLS1 would be good enough to supply multiple stations at the same time. I mean, he is already at the mine and he has to fly back to the complex. Why shouldn't he load some ore and silicon wafers when he flies back? But it looks like this will be the way I'll do it. Otherwise I would need 3 freighters with 3 pilots who get paid for flying around with no cargo, half full or just sitting around doing nothing. Not gonna pay these lazy paranids for nothing. :D
I prefered to load in small quantities for each item though. I Keep my HQ supplied with 1 CLS2 only with more than 30 waypoints(per destination) to supply all items. One time pain :wink:

MrKincaid
x3ap

Post by MrKincaid » Thu, 7. Sep 17, 17:38

When I tell him to load 100 ore and then I flies his route, coming back to the complex and there is only room for 20 ore he keeps 80 in his freighter. Then he flies back to the mine and loads 100 again then he already has 180 in the freighter. This would build up too. It would take longer until he is full with one product, but it would still happen.

@Timsup2nothin

I read your guide. First of all it was great, very nice to read and I learned a lot from it. Thanks for that. But, on thing I learned: Don't try to make routes with multiple products. It works if you let your CLS unload between every buy in a storage vessel. But I don't think this will work if he has load on every flight.

For example:
1. Fly to storage, unload all and load full of energy cells.
2. Fly to complex, load full of energy cells
3. Fly to mine, unload all ec and load full of ore
4. Fly to complex, unload ore

Problem is: When he flies to the mine but they don't need much ec there is not much room to load ore. I would have to edit it like this:

1. Fly to storage, unload all and load full of energy cells.
2. Fly to complex, load full of energy cells
3. Fly to mine, unload all ec and load full of ore
4. Fly to storage, unload ec
5. Fly to mine, load ore
6. Fly to complex, unload ore

This way, if he loads full with ore after his first visit on the mine he would skip 4 and 5 and bring it to the complex. If he has some ec left he would unload them into the storage, then fly back to the mine, load ore and after that he brings the ore to the complex. 6 Waypoints just for one mine and I have 3 of them. For now. The complex will grow and there will be more mines in the future. And there is lots of flying back and forth, doesn't seem very effective.

I guess my only options are buying two more freighters and equip them with CLS1 and let every CLS handle one ware or to move the mines to the complex and connect them.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Thu, 7. Sep 17, 19:17

MrKincaid wrote:The complex will grow and there will be more mines in the future.
This is where we will go next.

So far we know that there are at least four implementations for transferring wares:
  • Tractor and Tubes. One Complex to hold them all.
  • Each Station has Trader(s) to buy and sell.
  • CLS1 pushing products to consumers.
  • CLS2 ferrying wares around.
We do(?) know what it takes to set them up and what it takes to keep them running. Each has ups and downs.

Now we go for more stations. How does each of these solutions scale up or out? What does it take to add one more Mine?

At some point one will reach scale, where the throughput of a freighter becomes significant. Up to now we have looked at 3 CLS1 vs 1 CLS2. What is true for three wares and four stations might not hold when stations are ten or hundred.

How many producers and consumers can one (top level) CLS1 ship serve sufficiently? How many Mines can that first ECell CLS1 keep running?

Lets assume that you do build enough to push the three CLS1 to their limit. Now replace them with three CLS2 ships. Will they be equally loaded, or is one more efficient than the other? I don't know the answer.

Apart from the maximal throughput of each optimally configured implementation is the question of what does it take to create that optimal configuration?

CLS2 has multiple options for how much to load/buy/sell/unload. Some of those should be better at avoiding full cargobay than others. Tim?

Note that one Silicon Wafer costs 24 ECells to mine and Ore Mine consumes 6 ECells per 1 Ore. The CLS2 should deliver/fetch by those ratios. If the CLS brings in more energy than it loads minerals, then the Mine's ECells stock fills unnecessarily. Worse yet, undersupply of energy will stall the Mine.

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Thu, 7. Sep 17, 19:47

Thanks for the good review.

The command you are needing is the 'up to' command. Instead of 'load 100 ore' use 'load up to 100 ore.' If he pulls in and still has 80 left he will 'top off' to the designated hundred and move on.

I usually try to not mix loads, but there are situations where it is the best solution and you may have gotten into one.

That said, the 'truth' that I came to operate by at some point that changed my perspective is: freighters are cheap. Usually that leads me to solve problems by just using more ships. I just started using a mod that charges maintenance fees for ships and stations, so my perspective might change, but generally speaking.

Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”