Are you going to pre-order?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Are you going to pre-order X4: Foundations?

Yes
43%
No
38%
I'm not sure yet
20%

Total votes: 452

skiiwa
xr

Post by skiiwa » Wed, 13. Sep 17, 19:54

Hated Rebirth. Still do. Foundation is still a Preorder for me for 2 reasons. 1, they didn't abandon a really REALLY bad game(Rebirth) and 2, Pretty much all games before were great! Still wish they would go more realistic (Elite Style on the spacetravel and handling thingy) But they are giving us back 2 of the most important things. Cockpits and we can fly EVERYTHING! :D

StormMagi
x4

Post by StormMagi » Wed, 13. Sep 17, 23:37

I will if they can offer it on GOG, otherwise I doubt it.
MOD XR Show Skills

Flying spaceships since 1993.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 14. Sep 17, 09:18

skiiwa wrote:Hated Rebirth. Still do. Foundation is still a Preorder for me for 2 reasons. 1, they didn't abandon a really REALLY bad game(Rebirth)
OK, I'm not seeing the logic there? You're saying that Rebirth started out bad and didn't improve, despite all Egosoft's efforts, yet you're going to pre-order the next game anyway? What if it turns out to be awful and doesn't improve despite all Egosoft's efforts?

skiiwa
xr

Post by skiiwa » Thu, 14. Sep 17, 21:24

pjknibbs wrote:
skiiwa wrote:Hated Rebirth. Still do. Foundation is still a Preorder for me for 2 reasons. 1, they didn't abandon a really REALLY bad game(Rebirth)
OK, I'm not seeing the logic there? You're saying that Rebirth started out bad and didn't improve, despite all Egosoft's efforts, yet you're going to pre-order the next game anyway? What if it turns out to be awful and doesn't improve despite all Egosoft's efforts?
That's because you are too focused on the very first sentence and you are also putting words into my mouth. I never said rebirth didn't improve. I don't like it because of their gameplay decisions.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 14. Sep 17, 23:01

You said: "Hated Rebirth. Still do." So, no matter how much it's improved since release, it's still not changed into a game you actually like. How do you know the same won't happen with X4, is all I'm asking?

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Fri, 15. Sep 17, 00:21

pjknibbs wrote:
X Rebirth was a disaster at v1.0 for consumers

X Rebirth v4.21 would have been a miracle patch shortly after release but of course it wasn't possible. The thing is it was necessary to make X Rebirth a minimal viable product.

Let me be clear for the benefit of doubt.... XR had some truly awesome innovations that were clouded by dreadful gameplay and user experience (UX) elements probably born out of necessity. Now to v4.21 many (not all) of the problems have been addressed and XR is to its credit a worth while space sim its just taken 3+ yrs

What does that say about per-ordering X4? It says you pay a steep premium for what is effectively early access whether it is sold as early access or not.

Your choice therefore is simple, if you have any doubts as to the UX you may face hold off purchasing until you are satisfied.

MPX10L
x4

Post by MPX10L » Fri, 15. Sep 17, 09:43

Well I did say eventually, right? :D
Also I'm not even sure anymore whether CIG will be faster than Josh and Adam. ^^

Sao t'Lp
x4

Post by Sao t'Lp » Fri, 15. Sep 17, 09:52

adrianstroschke wrote:Well I did say eventually, right? :D
Also I'm not even sure anymore whether CIG will be faster than Josh and Adam. ^^
Is this a Limit Theory reference right there or am I just imaging things?

As for the topic of pre-ordering the game: Albeit X-Rebirth was a deasaster at launch I didn't regret preording because I supported one of my favorite game studios. X4: Foundations looks really worthwile, the map interface looks awesome and I can see the potential in it. Still I think I will delay my preorder decision until further material is published.

Edit: Oh I see now, the answer to my question is on page five. :oops:
You want Split? :split:

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Fri, 15. Sep 17, 10:03

@ Sao t'Lp ...you referenced correctly,,, which will come first ,,Star C, Limit T, hopefully X4.
As for pre-order will wait an see what age group X4 is aimed at...

Slashman
x4

Post by Slashman » Fri, 15. Sep 17, 21:16

I'm still trying to fathom this urge to pre-order.

A product that is a digital good with no limit on supply.

A product whose predecessors were all more or less not quite ready to go at launch and took months of updates to get to a good place.

Whether you preorder or not, or choose to buy on the same day with good word of mouth and reviews, you can still play the game on launch day. You can still support the devs by buying day one or two at full price.

Hell even if you wait 3 months after launch until the game gets fixed, you can simply choose not to buy at sale prices and give the devs your full support by paying full price.
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Sat, 16. Sep 17, 00:32

Slashman wrote:I'm still trying to fathom this urge to pre-order.
I've never understood this, myself (except in cases where stocks of a highly anticipated items may be limited - then it's understandable.) It seems to stem from some odd impatient urge to "want to be first", or something? But in this day and age of digital distribution for the majority (and more and more often becoming the only available option, with box sales often no longer even being offered at all), there seems little reason to me NOT to wait and see... Not to mention that, as you point out, early adopters inherit all the problems at start along with whatever (often only perceived) "advantages" they gain - and with those problems come frustration and the potential for disappointment, bitterness, and the like... Maybe it's just another symptom of what I call "the ADD generation", a product of a society increasingly invested in instant gratification, with less and less patience ever being exercised.
-
Boron passenger: "You must hurry - my testicles are drying out!"
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff

Loltak
x4

Post by Loltak » Sat, 16. Sep 17, 11:09

There is at least one reason why I could pre-order <=> pre-loading
I have a poor bandwidth and it could take days to download the game so if I am sure of a "Day one purchase" I could pre-order to gain time.
It's simply convenient.
The reason/need of a Day one purchase is an other discussion, but for myself I know exactly what it implies.(Yes sometimes I'm impatient :mrgreen:)
X4: Fondations Vanilla all extension.
Casual ineffective player at slow pace

DaMuncha
x4

Post by DaMuncha » Sat, 16. Sep 17, 12:04

I only pre-purchase when..

A) I know Im going to buy it on Day 1 anyway

B) Prepurchase comes with a discount for the game

C) Pre purchase Discount and goodies for a game if I know Im going to buy it on day 1 anyway.

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Sat, 16. Sep 17, 12:47

DaMuncha wrote:I only pre-purchase when..
B) Prepurchase comes with a discount for the game
Ah yes, I forgot that sometimes that is offered - fair enough :) As well as the occasional special edition (as per C), if that sort of thing appeals (I've found very few that have tempted in that regard, but there have been those very few...)
-
Boron passenger: "You must hurry - my testicles are drying out!"
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff

skiiwa
xr

Post by skiiwa » Sat, 16. Sep 17, 13:41

pjknibbs wrote:You said: "Hated Rebirth. Still do." So, no matter how much it's improved since release, it's still not changed into a game you actually like. How do you know the same won't happen with X4, is all I'm asking?
Because of their previous track record of good games...Like I said. Read the whole post. not just the hate part...Giving the players only "one" ship to fly, in a universe full of ships is something I will Never like, no matter how much they "improve" Rebirth.

SteveMill
x4

Post by SteveMill » Mon, 18. Sep 17, 10:22

Preordered XR so no chance.

Preordering is a mugs game nowadays with release dates seemingly dictated by accountants.

Like with Mass Effect Andromeda I will follow the first few weeks of reviews before making a decision.

RiccDeckard
x4

Post by RiccDeckard » Mon, 18. Sep 17, 12:57

I ticked yes.

I'd preorder if there is a discount, a nice goodie or early access...

Br,
Ricc

Memnoch

Post by Memnoch » Tue, 19. Sep 17, 12:56

It would have to be a hefty discount. But to be honest it's not worth the risk. I'll keep a keen eye out for those that get early access.

And that itself will be telling. Will journos be given an early access copy so they can either get previews out before release or at the very least a day 1 review prepped before hand.

From watching videos by TB and a few others it seems common for publishers to withhold review copies for games they don't have much confidence in, or one they suspect will receive negative feedback.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gavcvi19q1g

RodentofDoom
x4

Post by RodentofDoom » Tue, 19. Sep 17, 13:00

I will most likely order around release date

and I expect X4 will eventually eat several hundred hours of my free time away from work

wwdragon
x4

Post by wwdragon » Thu, 21. Sep 17, 06:12

I will preorder it to be sure I can do my level 5 thing, assuming I need to.
Editing posts since long before I remember.

Return to “X4: Foundations”