Play X Rebirth VR (Oculus) without Oculus

Feedback and information for X Rebirth VR Edition

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

theManx

Play X Rebirth VR (Oculus) without Oculus

Post by theManx » Sun, 10. Sep 17, 20:03

First, Sorry for posting this here. I'm new and tried to post to the X Rebirth VR forum but the "New Topic" button just kicked me back to the main index?!

Anyway, the question;
I know if I unplug my Oculus, X Birth VR will switch to desktop mode automatically, but I've purchased the game through the Oculus store and they set it up to launch through their interface.

How can I launch my game completely independent of Oculus or VR?

Why?
Firstly, the game is designed with an extensive menu system and shortcut keys. Simple things like save game (A function key) are complicated under the VR hood. For many things the keyboard functions don't work in VR mode and its extremely challenging to use the keyboard while under the VR hood anyway.

Secondly, the game is a poor port of the game graphics over to VR. Note, I am a real life pilot and I play DCS world in VR (Fighter flight Sim), I've completed Lone Echo (Space simulator game) and Adrift (Another space simulator) but in X Rebirth, just standing on the deck at a docking location and rotating my character horizontally (Which is painfully slow by the way) is shockingly Nauseating to watch and I have to close my eyes. I'm taking my game time to write this as I am too nauseated to play anymore.

I like the game, but we can't all be great at everything. I just feel this game is probably easier to enjoy the old way.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 10. Sep 17, 20:52

Re posting problem just clear your browser cache and you should be OK again. FAQ.

Wouldn't the non-VR game with its larger universe, greater station population and various DLC content options be more up your street? Yes, I know you have already bought the VR version but that wasn't to your liking. You can get deals for classic XR now and again.

Moving to XRVR forum.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

theManx

Post by theManx » Sun, 10. Sep 17, 21:20

Actually I figured it out on my own.
But the "play" / "research how to play" ratio is telling the story.
- VR implementation makes me ill - Research how to play it on desktop.
- Joystick doesn't work properly - Research how to configure the joystick.
- Finally Register on the manufacturers website for the first time so I can ask for help to use Egosofts product - Gotta research the faq just to use their website that I've never visited before.

The fun has finaly been beaten out of me for this game. Thanks Egosoft.

Return to “X Rebirth VR Edition”