[4.21] BUG - Map menu freezes for a few seconds - Oculus issue possibly

Feedback and information for X Rebirth VR Edition

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

CalaveraLoco

[4.21] BUG - Map menu freezes for a few seconds - Oculus issue possibly

Post by CalaveraLoco » Tue, 12. Sep 17, 00:34

Hi!

After the new update I exprience pretty frequent freezes and closes when navigating the map menu. It's most prevalent when I'm zooming out from 'zone to sector' or 'sector to galaxy' view. (there may be other causes.. but I mainly just organized some trade runs during todays session)

Latest Nvidia driver and latest Oculus everything. Started the game in Oculus mode.

Has anybody else encountered this?

Anyway I'm glad we got the update, now I don't move like professor Xavier on the stations.

big_bad_lynx

Post by big_bad_lynx » Tue, 12. Sep 17, 00:47

same here.

also weird green -silver colours appear (and stay) when taking off oculus and putting back. loading a save sometimes help

theManx

Post by theManx » Tue, 12. Sep 17, 03:14

Absolutely! Its making things very difficult at best.

I've had it happen on the mission bulletin board and the map.
For a while I was just using the mission bulletin board and it would happen about every 4th or 5th time I opened it. When using the map, its far more frequent and unpredictable.

The sequence of event I see when its happening is like this;
- Rather then displaying the map or selecting the desired mission, an hour glass appears.
- long pause (about 15 to 20 seconds). Sound may jump and graphics freeze.
- The map or mission display panel (which ever is in use) suddenly closes.

Now you have to re-open it again.

I'm on an Alien ware Area 51 with SLI'd GTX1080's on Windows 10.
I'm using an Oculus with a software update today to version 1.18.
I received the X Rebirth update to 4.21 which broke things earlier.
I updated my Nvidia driver to 385.41 and the game became runable again with the addition of the bugs.

I am noticing other issues but their a bit harder to define so I'm waiting for a clearer determination of what they are (Graphic effects like all textures turning into a Negative)

Franc Kaos

Post by Franc Kaos » Tue, 12. Sep 17, 05:24

Can confirm, Oculus, everything updated, no mods. Happens when docked for me, sometimes the whole screen glitches, loading icon then closes.

Seems ok (only played for half hour last night), when in the ship but since I avoid using ship monitor as much as possible, didn't really test it properly.

EDIT: Maps also glitchy when flying, sectors is the worst. Zones will glitch but sometimes display after 10 seconds, galaxy pops up pretty quickly but sectors (and the other one) crash close.

Also Mission Briefings, looking at current or accepting new seem to suffer the same issue and will force close.

Bazza
x3tc

Post by Bazza » Tue, 12. Sep 17, 08:02

I only had a brief go but didn't come across this. I am on the Vive though so maybe its Oculus specific.
ZORK, IW2:EOC, GIANTS, NOLF 1, Runaway, Gothic I&II, Mafia, Arx Fatalis, Divine Divinity, Vietcong... I Loved Those Games

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Tue, 12. Sep 17, 09:42

Using Oculus .. No issues as described ..using HOTAS so maybe controller issue.... As of testing 08:40 am gmt with all updates.

garybrain
x4

Post by garybrain » Tue, 12. Sep 17, 11:43

Same as the OP. All updates nvidia and oculus.

The Side menu goes into freeze state and when recovers ( 15 secs or so ) the side menu is closed. This happens in zone map and when clicking on briefing.

In some cases the colour scheme goes all retro bright colours. Have to remove Headset to reset.

Bazza
x3tc

Post by Bazza » Tue, 12. Sep 17, 13:46

Played some more and used the map quite often and it didn't happen for me. Its looking like its Oculus specific.
ZORK, IW2:EOC, GIANTS, NOLF 1, Runaway, Gothic I&II, Mafia, Arx Fatalis, Divine Divinity, Vietcong... I Loved Those Games

theManx

Post by theManx » Tue, 12. Sep 17, 14:19

I can confirm as an Oculus user, I've been playing via desktop version now and no glitch on the desktop version. It's specific to my VR. It might be the way the game interfaces with the Oculus code or just bad Oculus update

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Tue, 12. Sep 17, 15:03

My bet would be on a glitchy oculus update,, did not find the update process reassuringly smooth.... no indication how long it would take, in fact I did think at one time it had finished when it had not even started...
For what it is worth ... :)

Boeng01
x4

Post by Boeng01 » Tue, 12. Sep 17, 20:53

I got the HMD freezes already most times i'm starting the game.

Nvidia 1080Ti, 385.42
Oculus 1.18

Sound effect loops (while music is playing normal), black screens on HMD. Takes up to a minute sometimes, then the main menu appears.

Also occurs when changing selected graphic settings, for instance the 2D resolution.

Also getting the colorful texture bugs.

Also realized that the highways are not visible any more in game. Still 'physically' there and usable by flying in, also visible on the radar but not visible in space. Is this a bug or a feature? :?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 12. Sep 17, 21:05

@ Boeng01: You say in another thread that you first noted these issues after uninstalling an XRVR mod and that they then followed you into a clean vanilla reinstall of XRVR. Just for completeness, did you also start a new vanilla gamestart or are you still using the saves carrying on from before?
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

derbasti
x3

Post by derbasti » Tue, 12. Sep 17, 21:14

Same here with every update installed.

The game takes a long time to start to the main menu. Loading the saved game takes much longer than before.
When I return to my ship from my capital ship it takes a really long time. And I can not open the map in game, everything just freezes.

Oculus 1.18
Nvidia 385.41 (GTX 1080)

_STF_

Same here

Post by _STF_ » Tue, 12. Sep 17, 23:24

Hi,

got the same problems today after updating everything (nvidia, oculus, xrvr).

Maybe its related to the touch controls?

Cannot open the sector map (only sometimes), and often there are graphic glitches afterwards (these disappear on sector change)

Stefan

Boeng01
x4

Post by Boeng01 » Wed, 13. Sep 17, 10:10

Alan Phipps wrote:@ Boeng01: You say in another thread that you first noted these issues after uninstalling an XRVR mod and that they then followed you into a clean vanilla reinstall of XRVR. Just for completeness, did you also start a new vanilla gamestart or are you still using the saves carrying on from before?
Started with a completely new game, deleted the install folder and /documents/egosoft folder, so it should have been 'as new'

I will start to make complete backups of the 'virginal' install, maybe this helps in the future to reproduce issues.

<Thanks. Alan Phipps>

Return to “X Rebirth VR Edition”