Living Breathing WARRING Universe?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Should wars be "natural"?

Yes, wars should start and stop based on the living game
57%
Maybe; get the rest of the game working first
35%
No, only scripted wars as the plot demands
8%

Total votes: 185

RodentofDoom
x4

Post by RodentofDoom » Thu, 21. Sep 17, 03:00

RAVEN.myst wrote: Also, I think that shipyards ought to have separate construction and repair docks.
I like this.
Falcrack wrote: No need for a home field advantage. One mechanic which would help to ensure balance is creating a threat level for each race. As they grow more powerful, the other factions increasingly turn their attention to the more powerful faction, until the more powerful faction is brought down to size again. It would be a positive feedback mechanism, to self-regulate the size and power of each faction.
This is fairly elegant as a concept too, retains dynanism and hopefully would prevent stagnation or npc dysfunctionality.

vadiolive
x4

Post by vadiolive » Thu, 21. Sep 17, 03:21

I still believe in 3 layer of war

1 - Race war
2 - Corporation War
3 - Freelancer acts

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Thu, 21. Sep 17, 04:05

Falcrack wrote:One mechanic which would help to ensure balance is creating a threat level for each race. As they grow more powerful, the other factions increasingly turn their attention to the more powerful faction, until the more powerful faction is brought down to size again. It would be a positive feedback mechanism, to self-regulate the size and power of each faction.
I like this. Between this self-regulating feedback loop and (just to be extra sure) some sort of "elastically centering" strength affected by distance from home approach, the races could be kept in equilibrium even while not suppressing major conflagrations. There is, however, still at least one way for it to go 'boing' - given that the economies are being touted as being more "realistic" or what-not, it could still be possible for a faction's back to be broken beyond its ability to right itself without some deus ex machina intervention. However, I don't see this *necessarily* as a problem: such an event would likely be rare, and thus would result in a fairly unique subsequent game experience; thereafter the player could ignore that situation, or capitalise on it, or seek to help out in an effort to rescue that faction. Personally, I think this could lead to some interesting emergent developments.
-
Boron passenger: "You must hurry - my testicles are drying out!"
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff

Beermachine
x4

Post by Beermachine » Thu, 21. Sep 17, 04:50

A truly dynamic warring X universe with a good strategic AI layer for me would be fantastic.

As for placing artificial limits on the ability of a race to expand beyond a certain point, this seems to me to ruin the whole point of a truly dynamic universe. It would be dynamic up to a point and then become fairly static and lifeless.

Take the hugely successful Mount and Blade series. Factions can be destroyed with no player interaction. Each game is truly dynamic and completely unique. The end game often boils down to supporting the random strongest faction, maintaining a status quo by defending the weakest, or striking out with your own faction. It truly gives the impression of being part of a living world, one where events continue without the player. Unlike most games where nothing meaningful happens without the "hero" player being at the heart of the changes or by predetermined scripts (which become predictable).

The same could apply to X games. Obviously like mount and blade it would have to be a slow process, so the player has time to build up a fleet / wealth to have an impact on the game world before it evolves too much (a story line trigger could also be used, like the dissolution of an intergalactic peace treaty). There would also have to be numerous way to affect the outcome of wars, besides just direct fleet involvement. Supporting a races ship building efforts with masses of stations could be one such way for players who want to remain more neutral, or sponsoring pirates against factions. This adds an incentive to the late game, don't want to see a faction get wiped out and lose access to their ships / equipment, better support them either directly or indirectly before it's too late.

Personally I find it much more enjoyable having to react to the unknown circumstances of a truly dynamic sandbox than a static one, or dynamic to a certain point and then static / predictable.
Last edited by Beermachine on Thu, 21. Sep 17, 05:28, edited 2 times in total.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Thu, 21. Sep 17, 05:02

Another way to limit factions being wiped out is for NPC factions to simply not attempt to completely wipe out a race. They will not declare wars or try to gain territory from factions which are too small, a relatively powerless rump state. They could also be coded as to not take over the home sectors of each race. Think of it as being a gentleman's agreement. If the player wipes out a race completely, then the diplomatic penalty could be for all races to align themselves against the player, as penalty for breaking this taboo.

wwdragon
x4

Post by wwdragon » Thu, 21. Sep 17, 06:18

I do want dynamic border friction, but for actual wars... that should be down to player actions.

So I choose 'get the game working first!'.
Editing posts since long before I remember.

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Thu, 21. Sep 17, 06:58

@Beermachine: Ideally, my own personal preference would also be a universe without contrived, artificial constraints protecting non-player factions from each other, though with perhaps a slight tendency to regress to the mean (which would, in fact, be realistic in any case) thus preventing reliable, predictable occurrences of things rapidly spinning out of control. Unlike many players, I have no need to salve my ego by being godlike and requiring all consequential in-game events to depend on player (ie. my) actions - I would be much happier if history were to unfold with or without me, presenting me with fluid, mutable situations to react to. Then, if a faction is going under, it would be up to me to hasten that, oppose it, cash in or otherwise capitalise on it, ignore it altogether - whatever, depending on my role-playing concepts and goals.

Of course, events can't be TOO "swingy" - if too much upheaval can come too often from out of the blue, that makes the universe less plausible, not more. So while unpredictable, even catastrophic things can happen, the way their consequences unfold needs to be plausible, logical, and believable. Complete sudden reversals should be rare, and happen as a result of some action or event (player or non-player), not just come out of nowhere - and something along the lines of "the Split are beating the stuffing out of the Borons, have them on the ropes, down to a last stand across a handful of worlds... but suddenly an interdimensional gateway opens and swarms of Kha'ak pour into the heart of Split territory, decimating the entire Split navy and in so doing buying the Boron a reprieve" would be utterly vomit-worthy to me - I'd probably quit playing after something like that.
-
-
-
The Write Stuff

Beermachine
x4

Post by Beermachine » Thu, 21. Sep 17, 08:24

@RAVEN.myst

I agree fully with your post, including a slight tendency in the universe to regress towards the mean so that the natural balance doesn't get out of control too quickly.

The fall of a race should be a gradual process, where the player can look at the map and make a strategic call that it's likely (but not guaranteed) that a race may not survive in the long run. The decline also needs to take place over quite a few different wars, not just one, with the possibility of turning the tide. This allows the player plenty of time to implement any strategies to stop or hasten that decline.

As you mentioned, unexpected turnabouts should be possible, but rare (especially once a race has reached the point of terminal decline). Ideally these would also be logical but semi-random, and not completely predictable or scripted. Again, like the decline, it should take a long time for a race to recover, with the likelihood being it's just a temporary reprieve before annihilation. Like you, I'd vomit with any scripted saviour events, destroying all sense of a believable universe.

Obviously it's more difficult coding and balancing a dynamic factional war AI (without artificial constraints) that is logical but also random enough to not be predictable, but IMO the rewards of emergent gameplay and longevity in a single player sandbox game are well worth it. Mount and Blade has benefitted greatly from this, with a large following and modding community to this day (and guaranteed massive sales for Mount and Blade 2).

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 21. Sep 17, 20:11

Falcrack wrote:Another way to limit factions being wiped out is for NPC factions to simply not attempt to completely wipe out a race. They will not declare wars or try to gain territory from factions which are too small, a relatively powerless rump state. They could also be coded as to not take over the home sectors of each race. Think of it as being a gentleman's agreement. If the player wipes out a race completely, then the diplomatic penalty could be for all races to align themselves against the player, as penalty for breaking this taboo.
Personally, I think NPC factions should be capable of being wiped out. That would add a very interesting dynamic to the game, and possibly provide a real end of game scenario if one race managed to overpower all the others. But it should take a long time and give the player something to work for or against.

Of course, this would only work if the universal economy wasn't so integrated that wiping out a race brings the whole economy to a standstill because some critical ware died with that race. All the races should be relatively self sufficient. Or the game could be designed such that races were taken over rather than wiped out, keeping factories intact and functioning.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Thu, 21. Sep 17, 20:41

Nanook wrote:Personally, I think NPC factions should be capable of being wiped out. That would add a very interesting dynamic to the game, and possibly provide a real end of game scenario if one race managed to overpower all the others.
This is of particular interest to me. What has been the single most galling thing for me in all Xs is the fact that once I have become "uber powerful", there is nothing for me to do, so much so that reaching that point is, well, pointless. I would love to be able to decide "OK, screw it! Enough of these petty squabbling children - I am now going to remake the universe in MY image!" *twirl mustache/stroke goatee*
Nanook wrote:Or the game could be designed such that races were taken over rather than wiped out, keeping factories intact and functioning.
A related concept: wrecks from destroyed stations could be explorable and salvageable - this way, one could enter the site of a major battle, and poke around in the debris and derelicts (perhaps even have dead-station crawling as an application for "walk-in-station" - there, I said it :P ) This way, one could hope to recover or reverse-engineer the secrets of some race-specific technology, for example - and then potentially becoming the sole provider of that (perhaps crucial) item to the whole universe. (It always annoyed me that if I wanted access to jumpdrives without jumping (pardon the pun) through hoops, I had to remain on good on certain very specific and very few factions, especially in pre-Terran days.)
-
-
-
The Write Stuff

Beermachine
x4

Post by Beermachine » Thu, 21. Sep 17, 23:28

Nanook wrote:
Personally, I think NPC factions should be capable of being wiped out. That would add a very interesting dynamic to the game, and possibly provide a real end of game scenario if one race managed to overpower all the others. But it should take a long time and give the player something to work for or against.

Of course, this would only work if the universal economy wasn't so integrated that wiping out a race brings the whole economy to a standstill because some critical ware died with that race. All the races should be relatively self sufficient. Or the game could be designed such that races were taken over rather than wiped out, keeping factories intact and functioning.
Yep. If self sufficiency is not possible due to design considerations then taking over crucial factories would work, and is believable in the sense of using the expertise of the conquered race.

Races could also be resurrected by taking over their previously core sectors and liberating the population rather than claiming ownership. Obviously they'd need a lot of support in those early stages to re-establish themselves on the galactic stage.

The very thought of a dynamic universe with the possibility of being involved in a "hold the line" epic battle of Argon Prime against a rampaging race to save the last free colony of humans sounds fantastic to me. As long as the damn Minbari don't surrender before finishing the job :)

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Fri, 22. Sep 17, 00:12

Beermachine wrote:The very thought of a dynamic universe with the possibility of being involved in a "hold the line" epic battle of Argon Prime against a rampaging race to save the last free colony of humans sounds fantastic to me.
So you want multiplayer, so you may try to thwart my dreams of galactic conquest? OK, fair enough :)
Beermachine wrote:As long as the damn Minbari don't surrender before finishing the job :)
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a light bulb?
None - they always surrender right before they finish the job, and they never tell you why.
[Ivanova rolls her eyes, turns over to try to get some sleep...]
-
-
-
The Write Stuff

Fedora01
x4

Post by Fedora01 » Fri, 22. Sep 17, 03:03

One thing that could happen to further reduce the chance could be increased pirate raids against the more powerful faction(s) so that a faction can't bring its entire military might to bear, even against core sectors if needed.
Also, Xenon sectors could provide natural chokepoints by having the Xenon become increasingly more active as combat continues, eventually leading up to a "mini-invasion" that both factions must focus on or risk losing several sectors. and should a faction push past a xenon sector (or even take one) will increase xenon activity within a local area (once again building up to a "mini-invasion). :)

Beermachine
x4

Post by Beermachine » Sat, 23. Sep 17, 00:09

RAVEN.myst wrote: So you want multiplayer, so you may try to thwart my dreams of galactic conquest? OK, fair enough :)
That's the magic of a truly dynamic system, the amount of emergent gameplay options it opens up is staggering. Players having many different choices of interaction based on their preferred play style, and can experiment with other styles that give a game amazing longevity without getting bored or burnt out. It's especially good for sandbox games, particularly ones that are not storyline plot driven (or are poor in that department), as the players interaction with a dynamic simulation makes their own unique stories. Rimworld's popularity is in a large part due to this dynamic sandbox style of storytelling, with the fact that it can be brutal in it's randomness only adding to it's appeal.

It's the reason why I find this answer by Egosoft to be so disheartening.

Is the end goal for the dynamic factions to create an always changing universe, or will they work towards an equilibrium that (without the player messing with things) will eventually settle into a fixed state?
The aim is for things to keep changing but remain in overall balance, i.e. we don't want one NPC faction wiping out another NPC faction just by chance.

To paraphrase, things don't change at all in the grand scheme of things, other than superficially, with artificial immersion breaking checks in place to maintain the status quo.

- Race takes over a critical sector with abundant resources for ship building. No real effect on a races ability to expand.
- Race takes over a strategically vital sector. No real effect
- Race destroys an enemies vital ship building / economic sector. No real effect.
- Many more.

Reasons for the player to get involved in the shape of the galaxy, to be strategic with which races to supply with ship building materials, stations, missions, etc. None. Until the player wants to as nothing meaningful will change in the meantime anyway (and maybe never).

Hopefully it's not hardcoded, so that modders can remove these artificial balancing mechanics without having to use hacky workarounds.
RAVEN.myst wrote: How many Minbari does it take to screw in a light bulb?
None - they always surrender right before they finish the job, and they never tell you why.
I'm with Ivonova on that one :p, though I did like the Centauri light bulb joke.
Last edited by Beermachine on Sat, 23. Sep 17, 00:40, edited 1 time in total.

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Sat, 23. Sep 17, 00:39

Yes, that official stance is discouraging to me, too... If this is the default desired behaviour, it could still make for a good application for a game-start configuration slider or even a simple binary toggle: races "protected" from each other, or not, up to the player.
Beermachine wrote:
RAVEN.myst wrote: How many Minbari does it take to screw in a light bulb?
I'm with Ivonova on that one :p, though I did like the Centauri light bulb joke.
My recall of this one is hazier, but wasn't it along the lines of [Londo in raspiest of loud voices] "in the days of the Republic, thousands of servants [or was it slaves?] would [etc.]"?

Edit: Quote fixed - Sparky
-
-
-
The Write Stuff

Beermachine
x4

Post by Beermachine » Sat, 23. Sep 17, 00:43

RAVEN.myst wrote: My recall of this one is hazier, but wasn't it along the lines of [Londo in raspiest of loud voices] "in the days of the Republic, thousands of servants [or was it slaves?] would [etc.]"?
That's the one. Like with all jokes, it's Londo's delivery that makes it good.

Edited extra.
RAVEN.myst wrote:Yes, that official stance is discouraging to me, too... If this is the default desired behaviour, it could still make for a good application for a game-start configuration slider or even a simple binary toggle: races "protected" from each other, or not, up to the player.
Yes, a game start option would be the best of both worlds, making everyone happy. Can't see it happening though, as it would mean more coding / testing needed. Could also be some unforeseen complications. Games with truly dynamic simulation gameplay tend to have it as one of their core mechanics, rather than tacked on, to be exceptional.

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Sat, 23. Sep 17, 01:49

Beermachine wrote:Could also be some unforeseen complications. Games with truly dynamic simulation gameplay tend to have it as one of their core mechanics, rather than tacked on, to be exceptional.
I dont disagree. However - "truly dynamic" is pretty nebulous. It's certainly not wrong to say that a dynamic universe is pretty much one of the pillars of the X series from X2 onwards (not sure about earlier). Exactly how dynamic it is varies with dev ressources and tech, but their goal seems to be "as good as possible while 'safe' for gameplay stability", for X4 certainly. If they want to build ships and stations from ressources and economy, this is the foundation of a detailed dynamic simulation already - more than we ever had. And if the possibilities of all out wars are kept in mind when designing the dynamic universe mechanics, then adding a "war logic statemachine" (the one that makes AI decide to declare war and pool ships into fleets to send to attack, the one that makes peace/ceasefire decisions, ...) at a later point will not require a total overhaul of everything. It's just another layer on top of the already dynamic foundation that brings even more dynamic behaviour and therefore greater potential variety in gameplay.

ES do have to consider such war scenarios one way or another if they want to make the universe as dynamic as they said - because the player can do whatever he wants, and possible missions or random events might lead to war-like situations, where factions have to at least respond properly to bigger fleets of aggressors (by putting up a defense).

In X3 sometimes a Khaak invasion would happen in a sector and unless a NPC capital ship flew there by chance after several hours, the sector would remain forever lost. Zero reaction. I think TC improved this a bit, but response was extreeeemely slow and often inadequate to what was happening. In X4 this would be disastrous, if a single enemy capital could wreck entire swathes of space and it's traffic. It could have extreme impacts on economy around the area and possibly even globally.
[ external image ]
X-Tended TC Mod Team Veteran.
Modeller of X3AP Split Acinonyx, Split Drake, Argon Lotan, Teladi Tern. My current work:

RodentofDoom
x4

Post by RodentofDoom » Wed, 27. Sep 17, 12:37

economic resilience is needed

in previous versions of the X series, there have been wares/products with a sole racial/faction supplier

if this is matained in x4 and total war is a thing, there is a danger that the entire economic system WILL irreversably collapse

which will make for an very limiting game experience

i know the player can build any station, and produce any ware/product
but if there is no set timescale then the damage can be done before the player has a chance to react or counter it

Beermachine
x4

Post by Beermachine » Tue, 12. Dec 17, 01:14

Killjaeden wrote:
Beermachine wrote:Could also be some unforeseen complications. Games with truly dynamic simulation gameplay tend to have it as one of their core mechanics, rather than tacked on, to be exceptional.
I dont disagree. However - "truly dynamic" is pretty nebulous. It's certainly not wrong to say that a dynamic universe is pretty much one of the pillars of the X series from X2 onwards (not sure about earlier). Exactly how dynamic it is varies with dev ressources and tech, but their goal seems to be "as good as possible while 'safe' for gameplay stability", for X4 certainly. If they want to build ships and stations from ressources and economy, this is the foundation of a detailed dynamic simulation already - more than we ever had. And if the possibilities of all out wars are kept in mind when designing the dynamic universe mechanics, then adding a "war logic statemachine" (the one that makes AI decide to declare war and pool ships into fleets to send to attack, the one that makes peace/ceasefire decisions, ...) at a later point will not require a total overhaul of everything. It's just another layer on top of the already dynamic foundation that brings even more dynamic behaviour and therefore greater potential variety in gameplay.

ES do have to consider such war scenarios one way or another if they want to make the universe as dynamic as they said - because the player can do whatever he wants, and possible missions or random events might lead to war-like situations, where factions have to at least respond properly to bigger fleets of aggressors (by putting up a defense).

In X3 sometimes a Khaak invasion would happen in a sector and unless a NPC capital ship flew there by chance after several hours, the sector would remain forever lost. Zero reaction. I think TC improved this a bit, but response was extreeeemely slow and often inadequate to what was happening. In X4 this would be disastrous, if a single enemy capital could wreck entire swathes of space and it's traffic. It could have extreme impacts on economy around the area and possibly even globally.
Apologies for the late reply.

I don't disagree, truly dynamic is very nebulous :) In my particular usage, it's specific to this thread, namely dynamism in relation to a warring factional game world simulation (be it military or economic), and subsequently how that simulation evolves naturally due to those interactions.

In that context, while X games have a detailed simulation that is dynamic in the short term on the individual level, at the grand strategy level they are very static, especially when compared to any good strategy game from the last 20 years. In almost every one, starting a game with 7 factions of equal strength on the same map, run it in observer mode and then look at the map at the end game. Every time it will be unique, with different factions destroyed, vastly different sizes of occupied territory, army / fleet numbers and compositions, resource stockpiles, etc. Do the same for X games, and apart from the distribution of economic stations (which is also very predictable, with the same stations being de-spawned), 500 or 5000 hours in it's all pretty much the same. Very little evolution at all, with only temporary or minor changes (in the grand scheme of things), like one or two destroyed sectors out of hundreds mostly unchanged. Faction military fleet strengths are the same, overall numbers of traders, etc. They may fluctuate on the short term, but long-term, not at all. Even the players actions have minimal long-term effects (other than stations), with the all powerful GOD maintaining the games status quo. The economic simulation in relation to the price of goods is the only thing that could be considered dynamic, but again GOD's no resource cost spawning and resource black holes ruins that in the long run. That's what I mean by a static vs dynamic simulation model.

Now, this isn't a problem in games that aren't in the strategy genre, or where it's not a core gameplay mechanic. If (and it's a big if) Egosoft is planning on making the endgame of X4 a more strategic factional warfare based gameplay, then not including the core game design principles of nearly every good strategic factional warfare game ever made, is a strange design decision indeed. One of the core gameplay experiences is to adapt to an ever evolving, unpredictable simulation, reactively and proactively, where the player and the AI factions share the same basic rules / mechanics (with varying degrees of abstraction for factional AI). While X games have done this reasonably well on a small scale, it's completely different when applied to a grand strategy format. Take that dynamic simulation away and replace it with a more static, predictable model while also limiting the AI's ability to conquer and the depth of strategic gameplay is vastly diminished.

I agree that having a resource based system, rather than spawning for free, is the very foundation of a grand strategy games dynamic simulation. Still, it's the very basic bare minimum, and a LOT more needs to layered on top of this to make a good simulation with enjoyable, proactive and reactive strategic gameplay. Basic diplomacy is another bare minimum, but from what I gather (could be wrong) it won't be included at release.

Don't get me wrong, I loved X2 and all the X3's, just not for the dynamism of their universe on the grand strategy level, which I've always considered to be a missed opportunity, making the endgame very flat (for me). Also, it's not the 90's or 2000's anymore, and player expectations, especially in terms of emergent gameplay, mechanics, simulation dynamism, depth, etc have advanced considerably (especially if the storyline, marketing and graphical budget aren't astronomical). If one man independent development studios can release games with in-depth, dynamic game world simulations (there are many recent examples), then professional game studios should be able to do the same.

As a pure speculation, I fear that just like XR where Egosoft didn't understand the complicated design and gameplay requirements to make a "GTA in space", they don't understand the same for a strategy based endgame (grand or RTS). I hope to be proven wrong.

ezra-r
x4

Post by ezra-r » Tue, 12. Dec 17, 13:53

Beermachine wrote:
RAVEN.myst wrote: My recall of this one is hazier, but wasn't it along the lines of [Londo in raspiest of loud voices] "in the days of the Republic, thousands of servants [or was it slaves?] would [etc.]"?
That's the one. Like with all jokes, it's Londo's delivery that makes it good.

Edited extra.
RAVEN.myst wrote:Yes, that official stance is discouraging to me, too... If this is the default desired behaviour, it could still make for a good application for a game-start configuration slider or even a simple binary toggle: races "protected" from each other, or not, up to the player.
Yes, a game start option would be the best of both worlds, making everyone happy. Can't see it happening though, as it would mean more coding / testing needed. Could also be some unforeseen complications. Games with truly dynamic simulation gameplay tend to have it as one of their core mechanics, rather than tacked on, to be exceptional.
perhaps limited to certain permitted conflict zones?

Return to “X4: Foundations”