No useless ships

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Useless NPC ships?

Keep them to make universe seem more busy
75%
Leave them out of the game
25%

Total votes: 153

Clownmug
x4

Post by Clownmug » Fri, 22. Sep 17, 05:04

Might as well get rid of all those useless stars and planets too since we'll never be able fly to them. :roll:

Crimsonraziel
x4

Post by Crimsonraziel » Fri, 22. Sep 17, 09:25

Clownmug wrote:Might as well get rid of all those useless stars and planets too since we'll never be able fly to them. :roll:
You sir, are a genius!
Don't make me hungry. You wouldn't like me when I'm hungry!
#MakeNishalaGreatAgain #BoronLivesMatter :boron:
#LoveAldrin #FreeAlbion #ReturnOfMegalodon

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Fri, 22. Sep 17, 23:03

imho XR advanced the feel of a more living universe something X3 was frequently criticized for, I say keep them whilst they add to that ambience but cull them when necessary for performance.

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Sat, 23. Sep 17, 00:54

BigBANGtheory wrote:imho XR advanced the feel of a more living universe something X3 was frequently criticized for, I say keep them whilst they add to that ambience but cull them when necessary for performance.
Didnt GTA have amount of civ's and traffic slider as gameplay/graphical option? I think this would be a good way.
[ external image ]
X-Tended TC Mod Team Veteran.
Modeller of X3AP Split Acinonyx, Split Drake, Argon Lotan, Teladi Tern. My current work:

monster.zero
x4

Post by monster.zero » Sat, 23. Sep 17, 01:03

More ships the better.

There should be millions of star ships flying around the 'city'.

Probably 10-20 billion ships in the galaxy.

Heck...Earth has 3 billion+ vehicles.

If you traveled back in time and told some one in 1899 that there would be billions of horseless carriages driving around...they would have called you crazy!

Fast forward to 2017....There will be billions of personal spacecraft flying around in the year 2117.
DEC BC ; Decrease the counter
LD A, B ; Load one byte of the counter into the accumulator
OR C ; Bitwise OR with the other byte
JR NZ, Loop

Aven Valkyr
x3ap

Post by Aven Valkyr » Wed, 15. Nov 17, 00:53

If the dynamic game engine is well made, there will be no need for "fluff". The universe will already be extremely busy with ships flying all around, doing their thing. I even hope we see stations filled with captains that are fulfilling orders or picking up contracts. I hope the dynamic element of this game is carried deeply throughout its theme. I hope the whole game is built around the dynamic content, every little detail fulfilling some purpose.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 15. Nov 17, 16:54

monster.zero wrote:More ships the better.

There should be millions of star ships flying around the 'city'.

Probably 10-20 billion ships in the galaxy.
Modern day's CPU beg to differ. Ask again when we will have comercially viable quantum CPU.

thrangar
x4

Post by thrangar » Wed, 15. Nov 17, 16:54

I thought everything was made from scratch, wouldn't that be a huge draw on mineral resourses to make FLUFF ships?

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Wed, 15. Nov 17, 17:37

thrangar wrote:I thought everything was made from scratch, wouldn't that be a huge draw on mineral resourses to make FLUFF ships?

Minerals will probably be like all previous X Games and respawn or the economy would collapse.

These XS Vehicles will be the BMW's, Chevrolets, Toyota's of the X Universe.
Tiny consumer friendly vehicles intended only for 'short-distance' travel, like cars, they would need something like a Ferry/Carrier type ship of much larger size in order to go further distance.
But for a Factory worker that lives on a Station and needs to travel to another Station the other side of the Zone , they would need something small and cheap like an XS Vehicle.
The Highway System for zone to zone travel.

Resources to build them will be very small as well, seeing as they have no boosters, shields, weapons, they are civilian vehicles big enough for 1/2 people.
It wouldn't be a burden on resources, if this Planet we live on can sell us cars, computers, etc. A vast Universe of near limitless asteroids floating in Space wont be a problem for the population.

thrangar
x4

Post by thrangar » Wed, 15. Nov 17, 18:37

spankahontis wrote:
thrangar wrote:I thought everything was made from scratch, wouldn't that be a huge draw on mineral resourses to make FLUFF ships?

Minerals will probably be like all previous X Games and respawn or the economy would collapse.

These XS Vehicles will be the BMW's, Chevrolets, Toyota's of the X Universe.
Tiny consumer friendly vehicles intended only for 'short-distance' travel, like cars, they would need something like a Ferry/Carrier type ship of much larger size in order to go further distance.
But for a Factory worker that lives on a Station and needs to travel to another Station the other side of the Zone , they would need something small and cheap like an XS Vehicle.
The Highway System for zone to zone travel.

Resources to build them will be very small as well, seeing as they have no boosters, shields, weapons, they are civilian vehicles big enough for 1/2 people.
It wouldn't be a burden on resources, if this Planet we live on can sell us cars, computers, etc. A vast Universe of near limitless asteroids floating in Space wont be a problem for the population.
No what I mean, is not that it can be explained by how large the universe is but...If we want war between the races and military ships are needed(constantly) really how much game resourses and or priority building will be allotted to Fluff ships....not against this but, will be surprised if this comes to fruition

Greenhorn
x3ap

Post by Greenhorn » Wed, 15. Nov 17, 20:04

Hmm, I didn't vote ,maybe im confused or ,is egosoft confussed, but,they said in, twitch,real economy-which ships come from somewhere, where there built.,i would expect real traffic where those ships came from,would you think so?.if I see traffic of ships I, the player would think theres something important where they came from, point a to point b,advantages or disadvantgees in traveling somewhere, if you have fake traffic you lose the players confidence of what is real and what is really fake?and.will throw off players( common sense of thinking), do you agree?.Note; I haven played x rebirth but x3 terran conflict- albine prelude I have.bye all.
Running latest Steam X3: Albion Prelude .v 3.1 + bonus pack.favorite single music :Coldplay - Something just like this.Muse - Supermassive blackhole.Audiomachine - Sol Invictus,Cinematic.And finally, Florent Zunino - Foundation - Titles.

patient zero
x3tc

Post by patient zero » Thu, 16. Nov 17, 00:06

Sometimes I like to go sightseeing, driving around with no actual destination just to get out of the house for awhile. It probably seems useless to people who have somewhere to go and wish I would get out of their way, but I do it anyway because it's fun.
This is only a virtual reality.

Aven Valkyr
x3ap

Post by Aven Valkyr » Thu, 16. Nov 17, 00:09

After reviewing the videos of XR and seeing all the busy station traffic I came to a conclusion.

I feel that there should be a mix of fluff ships and non-fluff ships. I mean, any ship you see in a highway, or out and about within the sector, doing something, should be ships that are assets of some sort in the game that are controlled by the dynamic content. So any actual SHIP in the game should not be a fluff ship.

That being said, I do like all the little things buzzing around the stations. I like the little policing ships with their flashing lights. It makes no difference to me if buddy wants to hop in his space rover and go to the local pub for a drink. Or like a little ambulance rover that is buzzing across the station. It's these little details that bring things to life, so I think you could do that, have like little space cars flying all around like you did in XR.

So my answer is not really a part of the poll questions

rulerofallcheese

Post by rulerofallcheese » Thu, 16. Nov 17, 01:25

They should be removed from highways so they aren't as cluttered.

Anywhere else, i don't really care.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Thu, 16. Nov 17, 16:59

patient zero wrote:Sometimes I like to go sightseeing, driving around with no actual destination just to get out of the house for awhile. It probably seems useless to people who have somewhere to go and wish I would get out of their way, but I do it anyway because it's fun.
^---- This.

I too, like to go for a drive. Seeing new things, relaxing as one travels down the road, maybe on a comfortable trip through some nice scenery.

I especially love it when I enter a new sector and hear the screams of a Boron M5 pilot as he paints himself all over the side of my TL as I come through the gate. Hey, if you're going to travel, you might as well "do it big," right? :)

ezra-r
x4

Post by ezra-r » Thu, 16. Nov 17, 21:05

I'm quite surprised with the results of the poll.

But one has to make distinctions:

* Useless ship is that one which is added to highway for the purpose of make it look busy, but the ship does not even exist.

* Useless could also be those lots of small ships that go from one station to another but it's just plain fake, because they do nothing.

In previous iterations of X games, we had civil ships that flown around and served really no purpose but to be pirate cannon fodder, I'm kind of ok with those. Civilians exist and serve no purpose to you most times, but they kind of have a purpose, represent that there are civilians.

But a universe filled with purposless ships for supposedly interesting eye candy? Rather not.

Comparing fake traffic/ships with planets, stars is not fair, and proves the point of the op.

schedarx
x3ap

Post by schedarx » Thu, 7. Dec 17, 16:39

I expect that all flying ships will have some function whether it's trade, patrol or exploration.

Terran Jupiter
xr

Post by Terran Jupiter » Thu, 7. Dec 17, 17:29

Depends if you are talking about the NPC ships that just come out of 1 part of the station only to re enter it some place else but other npc trade ships and so on yes keep them but lose the civilian ships maybe or at least that's what I call them.

jpm1

Post by jpm1 » Thu, 7. Dec 17, 18:21

so in future tourism is prohibited :D. i'm against that suggestion. plus, it would need a very powerful proc, that not everybody can afford

Return to “X4: Foundations”