X4 cpu scaling

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

lostProfitssssArrgh

X4 cpu scaling

Post by lostProfitssssArrgh » Sun, 1. Oct 17, 17:34

Hi!

Will X4 improve on X-R's engine and be able to use any amount of cpu cores available in a given system?

Barring the above being automatic, will the user be able to define cpu thread assignments, like in Skyrim's .ini files for example?

Thank you!
-lpa

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sun, 1. Oct 17, 17:38

From the Q&A submit question thread:
CBJ wrote:
StormMagi wrote:Will X4 be able to use multiple cores and scale with the number of cores available or is it too soon to talk about this?
X4 currently has a similar threading profile to XR, but we are always looking for ways to spread the load further.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

DaMuncha
x4

Post by DaMuncha » Sun, 1. Oct 17, 17:39

Berned said in the live stream that X4 will support multiple cores

lostProfitssssArrgh

Post by lostProfitssssArrgh » Sun, 1. Oct 17, 18:12

X2-Illuminatus wrote:From the Q&A submit question thread:
Didn't see that one :S

Given this:
CBJ wrote:X4 currently has a similar threading profile to XR, but we are always looking for ways to spread the load further.
we're looking at 2 high% threads + 1-2 low% threads for the time being.

So the answers to my questions, at this point, are:
- X4 scales automatically across n-cores: No
- X4 allows user assignment of CPU resources : No

koyuka
x3

Post by koyuka » Sun, 1. Oct 17, 19:16

CBJ wrote
X4 currently has a similar threading profile to XR, but we are always looking for ways to spread the load further.
I heard a girlfriend helps :D :roll:

spankahontis
x4

Re: X4 cpu scaling

Post by spankahontis » Sun, 1. Oct 17, 20:33

lostProfitssssArrgh wrote:Hi!

Will X4 improve on X-R's engine and be able to use any amount of cpu cores available in a given system?

Barring the above being automatic, will the user be able to define cpu thread assignments, like in Skyrim's .ini files for example?

Thank you!
-lpa

If you mean Skyrim's Memory Block Folder for pulling additional resources to the game if it exceeded it's resource capacity of 256MB by allocating another block of 256MB?

Then I would avoid Skyrim on that one, it was known to be broken and cause crashes to desktop, Bethesda never did fix it.

Sheson got around this bug by creating the Memory Patch adding an additional 512MB to the root block and an additional 256MB to it's 2nd Block so it never needed to call upon the broken second block if the game was reaching it's peak.

X4 will be 64-Bit anyway so wouldn't need that as Skyrim (Oldrim) was 32-Bit.
Plus in theory, Vulkan is better for resource management anyway.
The only limitations will be in your hardware.

lostProfitssssArrgh

Post by lostProfitssssArrgh » Sun, 1. Oct 17, 22:04

spankahontis wrote:If you mean Skyrim's Memory Block Folder for...
No, that's not what I mean. Having control over which logical CPU a given task is assigned is what I was referring to.

scritty
x4

Post by scritty » Thu, 5. Oct 17, 18:17

This is great news.
Back playing X3 TC for the first time in a few years and looking forward to this new game.

Just decided to upgrade my PC for the first time since 2013 to something with more cores and threads so seeing games take advantage of that is a nice thing to see.
We've got lumps of it ..around the back !

Alith-Ahnar
Xtreme
Xtreme
x4

Post by Alith-Ahnar » Thu, 5. Oct 17, 19:02

lostProfitssssArrgh wrote:
spankahontis wrote:If you mean Skyrim's Memory Block Folder for...
No, that's not what I mean. Having control over which logical CPU a given task is assigned is what I was referring to.
To be honest why would you want to limit your application to a core if you ask in the first place for multi threading?

As long as you don't run a system with multiply NUMA nodes a fully multi threaded app should not need to be manual guided to a specific core at least not in a none server/workstation scenario.

If i ask for multi threaded i want it to make use of all the cores and with all the cores i mean all the cores 32+ not just meager 4 or 8.

The best example for highly multi threaded in an actual game is Ashes of the Singularity that thing really uses pretty much everything what you throw at it and uses it. (Some quirks exist with extreme high core count CPU's as of writing this)
X2: You better go play with asteroids!/You losssssee profitsssss!
X4: Chelt are better pilot then you!/Machine behave badly Split switch off.

lostProfitssssArrgh

Post by lostProfitssssArrgh » Thu, 5. Oct 17, 20:09

SplitBoy wrote:To be honest why would you want to limit your application to a core if you ask in the first place for multi threading?
Originally in the OP, as a fall-back method if automatic scaling wasn't provided.
SplitBoy wrote:...a fully multi threaded app should not need to be manual guided ...
Agreed. Although manual control may allow further optimisation when thread loads are uneven, as can be the case for games.

StormMagi
x4

Post by StormMagi » Thu, 5. Oct 17, 21:57

MOD XR Show Skills

Flying spaceships since 1993.

Alith-Ahnar
Xtreme
Xtreme
x4

Post by Alith-Ahnar » Fri, 6. Oct 17, 00:04

SplitBoy wrote:To be honest why would you want to limit your application to a core if you ask in the first place for multi threading?
Originally in the OP, as a fall-back method if automatic scaling wasn't provided.
SplitBoy wrote:...a fully multi threaded app should not need to be manual guided ...
Agreed. Although manual control may allow further optimisation when thread loads are uneven, as can be the case for games.
All makes sense but still the question was proper aka full multi-threading.

So my question stays why asking for options to fix broken or limited multi-threading if we should hope and encourage the adoption of a proper implementation. :)

I know i know hope for the best prepare for the worst.
X2: You better go play with asteroids!/You losssssee profitsssss!
X4: Chelt are better pilot then you!/Machine behave badly Split switch off.

darkelf1

Post by darkelf1 » Fri, 6. Oct 17, 07:49

love it...... :lol: :lol:

lostProfitssssArrgh

Post by lostProfitssssArrgh » Fri, 6. Oct 17, 13:01

SplitBoy wrote:I know i know hope for the best prepare for the worst.
You nailed it.

Dygaza
x4

Post by Dygaza » Fri, 13. Oct 17, 16:51

X2-Illuminatus wrote:From the Q&A submit question thread:
Didn't see that one :S

Given this:
CBJ wrote:X4 currently has a similar threading profile to XR, but we are always looking for ways to spread the load further.
we're looking at 2 high% threads + 1-2 low% threads for the time being.

So the answers to my questions, at this point, are:
- X4 scales automatically across n-cores: No
- X4 allows user assignment of CPU resources : No
Under DX9/11, or OpenGL you would have 2 high% threads (game logic and driver thread), but under Vulkan; driver thread is very thin, also rendering should be able to be split under multiple cores. Thus we should have only one high% thread (game logic) and multiple "medium" threads.

I would actually love hearing Egosoft's comments and experiences of learning Vulkan API. I bet there's a lot of trial and error when you're learning new API from scratch.

patient zero
x3tc

Post by patient zero » Tue, 17. Oct 17, 19:42

lostProfitssssArrgh wrote:will the user be able to define cpu thread assignments
This doesn't need to be embedded in the game.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/38430 ... _Your_FPS/
This is only a virtual reality.

Return to “X4: Foundations”