Attack in Las Vegas

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

clakclak
x3

Attack in Las Vegas

Post by clakclak » Mon, 2. Oct 17, 12:46

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/la ... ay-n806461

- German media speaks about at least 50 deaths; 200 injured
- Shooter in the 32 floor of the mandalay hotel
- shooting into the crowd of a country festival
- apperently using a fully automatic weopen
- Identity of shooter is known to police
- police no longer assume that the attacker acted alone

Let's hope they get him soon, before more people can get injured
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Mon, 2. Oct 17, 12:54

They already got him. A local 64 year old.
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Mon, 2. Oct 17, 12:59

Not seeing anything about the shooter but seeing as he's already being described by the media as a "lone wolf" rather than a terrorist or a hardened criminal, I'm gonna assume for now it's a white guy. :roll:
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Mon, 2. Oct 17, 13:05

Bishop149 wrote:Not seeing anything about the shooter but seeing as he's already being described by the media as a "lone wolf" rather than a terrorist or a hardened criminal, I'm gonna assume for now it's a white guy. :roll:
Lone Wolf would be strange because they already cought his accomplice.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Mon, 2. Oct 17, 13:07

It's a bit early to say that "a person of interest" = "an accomplice".
I can't breathe.

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Mon, 2. Oct 17, 13:12

clakclak wrote:Lone Wolf would be strange because they already cought his accomplice.
Nonetheless, it's the term that 2 out of the first 3 news reports I read used for him. Come now, they don't let silly little things like facts get in the way of the the narratives they want to build. . . . . . Which was kinda my point.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Mon, 2. Oct 17, 14:04

RegisterMe wrote:It's a bit early to say that "a person of interest" = "an accomplice".
Very true. Used that word because it was the one used by some media outlets.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 2. Oct 17, 14:08

Right now, the media will replay the same video clips, over and over, and come up with different commentary for every single replay. And, they'll keep doing that until they completely exhaust all footage, witness interviews, wild speculation, etc...

Note: The woman mentioned at the beginning as a "person of interest" is no longer such - She is not suspected as having anything to do with this act.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 2. Oct 17, 14:23

If the current estimates of 50+ dead are correct, this is the worst mass shooting in US history, with the next worst being the 49 killed at the Pulse in Orlando last year. Guessing nobody has any idea about a motive as yet?

Retiredman
x3ap

Post by Retiredman » Mon, 2. Oct 17, 15:07

Still to vague about this. The accomplice was a woman who lived with the guy. Don't know if the police caught with her or she contacted police.
Lived in a senior community - may have been the manager.
A family member is wondering what happened and why.

So much not known...
Wait for the facts..
You think a hero is some weird sandwitch and not a guy attacking a Xeno J with a kestrel.

Sir.. I said .. A guy attacking a J with a kestrel is the sandwitch.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Mon, 2. Oct 17, 15:14

Wait ... you can buy and carry an assault weapon in Vegas? :shock:

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Mon, 2. Oct 17, 15:22

They're now saying 400+ injured.
I can't breathe.

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Mon, 2. Oct 17, 15:57

RegisterMe wrote:They're now saying 400+ injured.
Fully automatic fire into a packed crowd . . . . truly horrifying. I'd be (very pleasantly) surprised if the death toll doesn't rise further.

According to Nevada state law this incident would definitely be defined as "terrorism" but apparently the local police do not agree. Its "too early" to define it as such because “We don’t know what his belief system was at this time.” Both logically and legally this is irrelevant, it is the act that is defined as "terrorism" the motivation as precisely nothing to do with it.
Just goes to show how politicised that word has become.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 78456.html

Golden_Gonads
x3tc

Post by Golden_Gonads » Mon, 2. Oct 17, 16:02

Apparantly the shooter stole/used the neighbours ID to book the room, thus her being considered a suspected accomplice.

I had considered heading out to Vegas next week... Good thing I never got around to renewing my passport... (And on having this thought I immediately felt a little dirty - 50 dead and one of my first reactions was all about me. Natural, but)...

Rive
x3tc

Post by Rive » Mon, 2. Oct 17, 16:08

Mightysword wrote:Wait ... you can buy and carry an assault weapon in Vegas? :shock:
With half dozen (at the very least) magazine? ...

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Mon, 2. Oct 17, 16:16

Golden_Gonads wrote:(And on having this thought I immediately felt a little dirty - 50 dead and one of my first reactions was all about me. Natural, but)...
Yeah . . well, the big story on Australian news services has been "Person of Interest is an Aussie." :roll:
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 2. Oct 17, 16:33

Well the Aussie news always has been just a little bit parochial - Their headline for the sinking of the Titanic could well have been 'Sydney man lost in shipping accident'.

Apparently the perpetrator also had access to 10 or so other rifles and weapons besides the one used. It makes you wonder.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Mon, 2. Oct 17, 18:00

I almost made a flippant comment about ISIS claiming responsibility earlier but decided it would be in very poor taste so didn't.
But lo and behold:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 78941.html

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Mon, 2. Oct 17, 18:08

Charlton Heston's original lunatic speech:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ju4Gla2odw

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

felter
xr

Post by felter » Mon, 2. Oct 17, 19:03

Just think, if this happened in a country or a state that allowed gun ownership, where anyone would be allowed to carry a concealed gun without a licence, where they could buy a fully automatic firearm from a private citizen without having a check done first, or that they were allowed to own as many kinds of firearms without registering them first. This attack would never have happened, as all of those killed and injured would have been able to protect themselves from this lunatic. What more can be said to justify gun ownership.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Return to “Off Topic English”