Livestream 2: solar panels - Resolved.

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Crimsonraziel
x4

Livestream 2: solar panels - Resolved.

Post by Crimsonraziel » Tue, 3. Oct 17, 16:14

In the station construction section of the livestream we saw a solar plant modul consisting of multiple solar panels with different orientations.

Is this model static or do these panels align themselfes to the nearest star when they are finished?

If it is static, it makes no sense to me, that the panels are oriented differently. The power source for all panels of one solar plant modul should be the same star and given the distance to said star, shouldn't the angle for every panel be the same?
Don't make me hungry. You wouldn't like me when I'm hungry!
#MakeNishalaGreatAgain #BoronLivesMatter :boron:
#LoveAldrin #FreeAlbion #ReturnOfMegalodon

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 3. Oct 17, 16:16

The [url=https://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=396292]Q&A thread[/url] at the top of the forum wrote:Do Solar Panels/modules align to the sun?
Planned, but not yet implemented.

Crimsonraziel
x4

Post by Crimsonraziel » Tue, 3. Oct 17, 16:42

Sorry, musst have overlooked that. I'm relieved. Thanks for replying.
Don't make me hungry. You wouldn't like me when I'm hungry!
#MakeNishalaGreatAgain #BoronLivesMatter :boron:
#LoveAldrin #FreeAlbion #ReturnOfMegalodon

RainerPrem
x4

Post by RainerPrem » Wed, 4. Oct 17, 05:42

CBJ wrote:
The [url=https://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=396292]Q&A thread[/url] at the top of the forum wrote:Do Solar Panels/modules align to the sun?
Planned, but not yet implemented.
Hi,

When someone designed them for Rebirth, they did overlook the fact that they should always point into exactly the same direction, even if that looks boooring. It seems that shiny form beats function in that case...

cu
Rainer

adeine
x4

Post by adeine » Wed, 4. Oct 17, 07:15

It would be neat if they didn't, but actual energy generation took the angle into account: maximum efficiency when facing sun(s) head on, to no production at all if in shadow. Maybe have a tracking version available with some drawbacks (cost, space, etc.) that aligns optimally regardless of how you place it.

With the in-depth station editor, this would be a great way to encourage people to plan their stations sensibly.

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Wed, 4. Oct 17, 22:14

adeine wrote:It would be neat if they didn't, but actual energy generation took the angle into account: maximum efficiency when facing sun(s) head on, to no production at all if in shadow. Maybe have a tracking version available with some drawbacks (cost, space, etc.) that aligns optimally regardless of how you place it.

With the in-depth station editor, this would be a great way to encourage people to plan their stations sensibly.

X3:AP had a system of having suns that were hotter than normal ones and placing a solar panel there would increase your energy cells yield greatly.
But similar problem with the direction. By the answer it looks like we will see that happening.

Return to “X4: Foundations”