Player Headquarters and its Capabilities

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

ZaphodBeeblebrox
x4

Player Headquarters and its Capabilities

Post by ZaphodBeeblebrox » Wed, 4. Oct 17, 06:29

If I recall correctly, there was mention of a player headquarters as a plot
reward. I was just wondering what capabilities a station like that should have.

Will we have any need to reverse engineer unique ships in X4 to obtain blueprints
for their production in the game?

Will we have any control over the build of the station, so that we could add extra
components to it, like the other stations in the game?

Having a base that is part shipyard, warehouse and research centre seems to be like a good idea to me.
It was a woman who drove me to drink... you know I never went back and thanked her.

Don't try to outweird me, three-eyes. I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Re: Player Headquarters and its Capabilities

Post by RAVEN.myst » Wed, 4. Oct 17, 06:36

ZaphodBeeblebrox wrote:Having a base that is part shipyard, warehouse and research centre seems to be like a good idea to me.
+1
It would also be nice if it had some degree of customisation, perhaps several module "slots" of the player's choice - this way, perhaps, the player could choose to produce some of the ship components, or perhaps drones, at the same station, or alternatively opt to keep those off-site but expand the storage or shipbuilding capabilities instead, for example.
-
Boron passenger: "You must hurry - my testicles are drying out!"
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff

RainerPrem
x4

Post by RainerPrem » Wed, 4. Oct 17, 08:34

RAVEN.myst wrote:
ZaphodBeeblebrox wrote:Having a base that is part shipyard, warehouse and research centre seems to be like a good idea to me.
+1
It would also be nice if it had some degree of customisation, perhaps several module "slots" of the player's choice - this way, perhaps, the player could choose to produce some of the ship components, or perhaps drones, at the same station, or alternatively opt to keep those off-site but expand the storage or shipbuilding capabilities instead, for example.
Hi,

I can imagine a game start, where the player ONLY owns a small core of a headquarter and no ships, so he has to trade for wares with adjacent stations until he can build his first ship ...

Nothing for "Fight" oriented players...

cu
Rainer

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Wed, 4. Oct 17, 10:30

Quite like the idea of a start with a small run down station to start with but it would be open to many varying opinions ( to put it mildly) on where the station would be likely placed .... unless you started with just a basic CV.

Ah !!!,... but then at the start you would not know where your preferred location would be.... mmmmm !!!

RainerPrem
x4

Post by RainerPrem » Wed, 4. Oct 17, 10:45

birdtable wrote:Quite like the idea of a start with a small run down station to start with but it would be open to many varying opinions ( to put it mildly) on where the station would be likely placed .... unless you started with just a basic CV.

Ah !!!,... but then at the start you would not know where your preferred location would be.... mmmmm !!!
No CV. Just an area, where enough NPC traders visit your station to trade the wares sufficient for a ship you already have the blueprints for. And in the meantime you can go EVA, use the repair laser on the station and find hidden lockboxes ...

Just dreaming
Rainer

PabloRSA
x4

Post by PabloRSA » Wed, 4. Oct 17, 12:09

I can see this happeneing in a story mode.
Uncle dies and left you a run down station whcih you can restore to life.

What i would like to see if customised story, allow me to choose which sector the station is in out of 3 for eample and how much money was left to me by my uncle small, medium, large, did he leave me 1 or 2 ships.
I was considering doing something like this for X3 mod.

I can then set my own back story for the start of the game anyway.

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Wed, 4. Oct 17, 13:43

RainerPrem wrote:I can imagine a game start, where the player ONLY owns a small core of a headquarter and no ships, so he has to trade for wares with adjacent stations until he can build his first ship ...
PabloRSA wrote:I can see this happeneing in a story mode.
Uncle dies and left you a run down station whcih you can restore to life.
Nice ideas, in my opinion! :)
I particularly like the idea of a "zero-ship" start, with a small station with nothing but a dock and modest storage, allowing for some trading. It would be for patient players, as such a start could be quite slow (rather like Goner Witness if you don't allow yourself to bail and sell the Ranger.)
-
-
-
The Write Stuff

gbjbaanb
x3tc

Post by gbjbaanb » Wed, 4. Oct 17, 15:15

I love that idea, seeing as player ships are getting to be less and less a thing (what with cap ship bridges someone else pilots, and teleporting to whatever ship happens to be present far away).

So I'd like to see the PHQ have a 'operations base' module where the player can fly his empire from behind a desk. A big wooden desk with a little nameplate on it. And a futuristic executive metal toy.

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Wed, 4. Oct 17, 17:21

gbjbaanb wrote:So I'd like to see the PHQ have a 'operations base' module where the player can fly his empire from behind a desk. A big wooden desk with a little nameplate on it. And a futuristic executive metal toy.
And different options you can have a mechanic (or rather, interior decorator) install for you :D
-
-
-
The Write Stuff

Greenhorn
x3ap

Post by Greenhorn » Wed, 4. Oct 17, 20:17

hhmmm hi too all players ,just a thought I was wondering what capabilities a station like that should have,hmmm im thinking not just blue prints of military ships,but a little more kick in ship speed,energy and like armor upgrade 2x- 4x thick hulls.hmmmm color coded armor? maybe,.bye all.
Running latest Steam X3: Albion Prelude .v 3.1 + bonus pack.favorite single music :Coldplay - Something just like this.Muse - Supermassive blackhole.Audiomachine - Sol Invictus,Cinematic.And finally, Florent Zunino - Foundation - Titles.

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Wed, 4. Oct 17, 22:23

gbjbaanb wrote:I love that idea, seeing as player ships are getting to be less and less a thing (what with cap ship bridges someone else pilots, and teleporting to whatever ship happens to be present far away).

So I'd like to see the PHQ have a 'operations base' module where the player can fly his empire from behind a desk. A big wooden desk with a little nameplate on it. And a futuristic executive metal toy.

From what they've shown us of the Module building, It would be prudent to have a large central module, unique looking to anything you've seen.. Circular something like this.

http://aliens.humlak.cz/aliens/aliens_p ... base00.jpg

It would have opposing module slots that you would use to connect the pieces together. Add a Shipyard cradle or something else.

RAVEN.myst wrote:
gbjbaanb wrote:So I'd like to see the PHQ have a 'operations base' module where the player can fly his empire from behind a desk. A big wooden desk with a little nameplate on it. And a futuristic executive metal toy.
And different options you can have a mechanic (or rather, interior decorator) install for you :D
Like the interior changes you can buy for the Skunk, only for your Main Office/Personal Suite. :D

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Thu, 5. Oct 17, 02:42

spankahontis wrote:
RAVEN.myst wrote:
Like the interior changes you can buy for the Skunk, only for your Main Office/Personal Suite. :D
Yup, that's exactly what I meant. :)
-
-
-
The Write Stuff

RainerPrem
x4

Post by RainerPrem » Thu, 5. Oct 17, 05:01

gbjbaanb wrote:I love that idea, seeing as player ships are getting to be less and less a thing (what with cap ship bridges someone else pilots, and teleporting to whatever ship happens to be present far away).

Hi,

this is exactly what I'm missing when walking around on my own stations in X:Rebirth. The manager doesn't even bother to get up, when I enter the room.

cu
Rainer

ZaphodBeeblebrox
x4

Post by ZaphodBeeblebrox » Thu, 5. Oct 17, 06:16

Maybe we could have a Bobble Head collection as in the Fallout games.

If each of the Ego staff had a bobble head made, finding them would give
a bonus to some part of the game.

Bernd seems to like trading, so finding his bobble head would give a bonus
to station production.
It was a woman who drove me to drink... you know I never went back and thanked her.

Don't try to outweird me, three-eyes. I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sat, 7. Oct 17, 02:39

birdtable wrote:Quite like the idea of a start with a small run down station to start with but it would be open to many varying opinions ( to put it mildly) on where the station would be likely placed .... unless you started with just a basic CV.

I like the idea of a run-down, second-hand, budget-bin station that you start out with. At first, it's very basic, offering few frills other than a place to store things with a few docks.

But, then, the player can build on it, adding capabilities in order to customize it for their own use. Maybe they want it as a front-line station, to hold its own against attack. OK, they'll add torpedo launching facilities, fighter bays, a marine barracks, a repair facility, shield units, extra armor, etc..

If a player wants it primarily as a trade-station, they'd add lots of warehouse space, dockspace, some trade facilities stocking a few high-profit goods, a cantina, entertainment facilities, maybe a small shipyard that can sell small and medium ships or repair them, etc.

In other words, give the player a facility of their own that is usable, at first, but not overly powerful, and let them tailor its capabilities, giving them a free hand in creative play and design.

Return to “X4: Foundations”