Smartphones...

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mrbadger
x3tc

Smartphones...

Post by mrbadger » Wed, 4. Oct 17, 14:33

Does anyone else think that smart phones are going a bit crazy now?

Not just size wise, but I do think this 'must get bigger' lark is nuts.

But why do we need such expensive, large devices to carry round with us?

I see students on campus with expensive phone that have broken screens, because they cost so much to repair they have to tolerate them being bust.

And there isn't even a need to upgrade most of the time. My current phone is five years old. An iPhone 5. I've had the battery replaced earlier this year, and I'm probably going to need the screen replaced soon, which will cost £60. Apart from that it works ok.

Five years is pushing it a bit, I admit that, but it still works, and I like it.

But people are rushing to get the latest expensive phone that will hardly fit in their hand, if it's android, most won't get an OS refresh after two years, and probably won't work after then anyway. And if they drop it, repairs are so expensive, they likely won't happen.

I'm not going to complain about the iphone X cost, anyone who could afford to buy one of those wouldn't care how much it cost anyway. It seems most manufacturers have overpriced phones to me.

Now I like new toys. I love new toys. I just got a new Macbook pro. It's great, and the purchase was justified, because it's a machine I use for work. Not buying a new iPhone though, because I fail to see any reason to, or any redeeming feature while my current phone is still functional.

When I do it'll be from their budget range, which is, for some reason, where you have to go to find the phones that in fact most closely fit what Steve Jobs actually wanted the iPhone to be, and what interested me in the iPhone to start with.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

greypanther
x3ap

Re: Smartphones...

Post by greypanther » Wed, 4. Oct 17, 14:53

mrbadger wrote: But why do we need such expensive, large devices to carry round with us?
We do not need them, it is all about want and ego. Consume; consume; got to consume. A certain amount of image too! :P
mrbadger wrote:like new toys.
About sums it up for me! :D

I do not own a smart phone, in case you couldn't guess!
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 4. Oct 17, 15:05

I don't make extensive use of my smartphone's features but I do have one. It's 5 years old and the only reason I'm vaguely considering upgrading is because it is becoming a bit unreliable to recharge even with a new battery. What puts me off replacing it are exactly the things you mention. The phone I have was a "mini" model that fits nicely in my pocket and is comfortable to hold, while newer models are all too big. Price-wise too, I'd end up paying for a lot of features I really don't need or want. What I'd like is smartphone that runs a recent version of Android, does the basics really well and is reasonably compact. I don't mind paying a reasonable price for the privilege, but apparently I'm in a small minority as nobody seems to market such a phone.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Wed, 4. Oct 17, 15:23

I'm still using a 'stupid' phone, specifically this one. It does not even have a camera, probably been using for about 10 years now?

And despite working in an environment where I often meet large quantities of people, I have never seen another person who does NOT have a smartphone. But hey it worked for me. I have never miss a meeting, I always answer all of my emails promtly, I just never do it on my phone. So 'need'? No, you don't 'need' it. :)

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Wed, 4. Oct 17, 15:33

Does anyone else think that smart phones are going a bit crazy now?
No. I use mine almost exclusively as a mobile computer, and the more powerful and customisation available the better.

Also, you lot are getting old and even more set in your ways. The young and the new fangledness. Comon people, get over yourselves! Phones for image indeed...

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Wed, 4. Oct 17, 15:56

Antilogic wrote: Phones for image indeed...
Without a doubt! This particularly after a conversation with my 16 year old son and friend, about the new i phone 8.

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Wed, 4. Oct 17, 16:05

greypanther wrote:
Antilogic wrote: Phones for image indeed...
Without a doubt! This particularly after a conversation with my 16 year old son and friend, about the new i phone 8.
Some people might have it for image, same as LITERALLY ANYTHING can be for that. A phone doesn't make it special.

For others, it's a tool that can be used. For me, in my personal life and my job, having a powerful phone is of considerable use as I make use of it. Same as I do my computer, my chair... whatever...

This thread is literally - new things are scary and I don't understand them. I'm going to use being old as an excuse. New things should have stayed in the past! :roll:

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 4. Oct 17, 16:11

No, it isn't. It's a "new things are unnecessarily large and expensive for the purpose for which I need them" thread. You're welcome to your large, expensive phone. I'm not scared of it, and I do understand it, thanks very much. I just don't need it and don't want a) to pay that much to use a subset of its functionality or b) to have to try and use something large and unwieldy when something smaller would do the job much better for my purposes.

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Wed, 4. Oct 17, 16:14

Not wanting to use extra functionality or whatever is not an issue. The issue I have is where people don't understand why people would want to having something and then jump to "this shouldn't exist! They only want it because they think its coooolll". Drives me nuts.

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Wed, 4. Oct 17, 16:26

Antilogic wrote: Drives me nuts.
It may well drive you nuts, just as it drives me nuts how many people spend so much, just because of all that functionality, only to never use more than a fraction of it. You are only the second person I have met, or interacted with who actually uses that extra functionality for work etc. Most people I have met, ( including myself, ) would rather use a tablet or laptop. ( Perhaps because of my failing eyesight, because of my very great age! :roll: ) Most people just seem to use it for facebook and watching You Tube, in my experience...

I do agree though, many people make assumptions about others, without good evidence, after all we all have an ass. :P

Edit: Who said they should not exist btw? You can have whatever toys, or tools, that you want and can justify to yourself! Cooooolll :)

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Wed, 4. Oct 17, 16:43

Most people I have met, ( including myself, ) would rather use a tablet or laptop.
Bare in mind for non-work related functions, we are very much headed towards a phone being the primary and often only computer device for a person. So Youtube and Facebook might be their primary use, but they wouldn't have anything else. So they would sometimes do banking, record hi-def video, play video games in VR, etc. All from the one device.

On the work front, HP (and I think Dell too?) even have a phone that plugs into a dock and becomes a Windows 10 PC when connected to monitors, keyboard etc. No idea if it's any good, but it's an example of the direction things are headed.

InFlamesForEver
x3tc

Post by InFlamesForEver » Wed, 4. Oct 17, 17:09

Not really. If that's what people want to spend their money on they can. I recently upgraded after my last phone lost the ability to be a phone, couldn't get signal, and it was going to cost more to repair than it was worth. Took the opportunity to change carriers and get a phone on contract. Got the Samsung S7, really nice to have a phone that I can play Hearthstone on without it overheating.

So sure they might seem crazy and expensive if you don't use them much, but as someone who uses them to play games and as a mini-computer they're great. The phone still costs less than my graphics card so...
In Flames We Trust
Listening to Whitechapel soothes the soul!! :D     ¹ ¤ ¹      But, the nuns are watching...
Samuel Creshal wrote:Keyboards: What separates the men from the boys.
XRM Trailer - XRM Installation Guide Video

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 4. Oct 17, 17:14

I can see the general value of "smartphones" and I can certainly see their advantages for certain types of workers. But, I don't need any of those features. I have a "Challenged Phone." It's an old smartphone, I just don't use it like that and have no apps on it. It's also old.

But, it's tiny. It's not the giant almost-notebook sized expensive crap that's out there today. I like it as it's light, easily fits in my pocket, can be put in a suit-coat pocket, shirt pocket, whatever...

I used to be like young people, on the edge of technology, then I took an arrow to my pager...

I had a pager as soon as they became popular for people other than physicians. I had a FM radio-telephone before they were in common commercial use. I had a bagphone. I had computer-this/computer-that as soon as I could get my hands on one.

I don't begrudge techies and young people chasing fads and neat stuff. But, that doesn't mean that I don't think some of it is needless and stupid. If I was still out in the workforce, doing what I used to do, then I'd probably have the latest gadgetry, too. But, I'm not, so I don't need all that stuff.

I will say, however, it is getting increasingly more difficult to avoid the "just use our app" phase of business and services that I still use. Everyone has an "app" and they all want you to use it. Well, screw them and their stoopid app, right in their smart@$!

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Wed, 4. Oct 17, 17:16

You can use yours as a minicomputer Flames? Really?

I knew they were getting more powerful of course, but I'd never have imagined you'd be able to do that with them. How many terminals will yours support? ;)

Personally I've long thought that the true purpose of the smartphone is to allow pretty girls on the train or the bus to avoid eye contact and ignore me completely without appearing excessively rude.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 4. Oct 17, 17:21

I have a Nokia e63. 'Nuff said, really. Frankly, it works for making phone calls and sending/receiving texts, and since that's all I care about a phone being *able* to do, I'll happily take being able to plug it in to charge every week or so over being able to play Angry Birds or browse the web.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Wed, 4. Oct 17, 17:34

Erm... I wish I could do without a Smartphone but the world turns faster and faster, having a smartphone, tablet or notebook was mandatory on my university and is mandatory where I am working at right now.

Smartphones are just the cheapest, most portable, most comfortable all around tools available. Certainly not the best in all task, but able to.
Notebooks i.e. are pretty expensive, need lots of base-power, have short living batteries, get hot, are uncomfortable to use and carry around.

And on top of all that, it is an status symbol. In the past it was books then cars and now it is smartphones.

No, I dont think this is unreasonable or crazy at all. This is a logical human development at best.

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Rug
x4

Re: Smartphones...

Post by Rug » Wed, 4. Oct 17, 17:47

mrbadger wrote:Does anyone else think that smart phones are going a bit crazy now?
Judging by the replies to this question it seems that each of us is able to find a phone which fits our needs/wants. So the answer is "No". :)

Rug
I like to think everyone just wants to feel human.

(Antilogic)

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 4. Oct 17, 18:05

Tamina wrote:..No, I dont think this is unreasonable or crazy at all. This is a logical human development at best.
I agree.

However, I'd also point out that the seemingly logical argument that some justify their pursuit of such tech isn't always credible. Specifically - "It's so useful and practical."

Chasing after new tech is fast-becoming more of a social and cultural status issue in regards to "conspicuous consumption" than any desire to increase one's "smartphone use capabilities."

InFlamesForEver
x3tc

Post by InFlamesForEver » Wed, 4. Oct 17, 18:45

brucewarren wrote:You can use yours as a minicomputer Flames? Really?

I knew they were getting more powerful of course, but I'd never have imagined you'd be able to do that with them. How many terminals will yours support? ;)

Personally I've long thought that the true purpose of the smartphone is to allow pretty girls on the train or the bus to avoid eye contact and ignore me completely without appearing excessively rude.
As many as I like if I use the remote access app I have to connect to my desktop...
In Flames We Trust
Listening to Whitechapel soothes the soul!! :D     ¹ ¤ ¹      But, the nuns are watching...
Samuel Creshal wrote:Keyboards: What separates the men from the boys.
XRM Trailer - XRM Installation Guide Video

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Wed, 4. Oct 17, 18:48

Antilogic wrote: Also, you lot are getting old and even more set in your ways. The young and the new fangledness. Comon people, get over yourselves! Phones for image indeed...
Set in my ways?

No, just sense to match my money. I have a batter gaming setup then *any* of my students, and a better Laptop, well two better Laptops. The only place I'm lagging is my phone, and that by choice, not because I'm incapable of 'getting it'.

I don't use my phone as a mini computer. I tried, but it's just not convenient, the terminal windows are too small, and I use terminals to do everything. Now the most I do on it aside from using iMessage (texting) is online banking and listening to audiobooks.

In fact I found that I am actually more up to date technology wise than other lecturers, they just own newer stuff, sometimes.

But, just owning it doesn't mean they know how to use it now, does it. And often they don't even own stuff as good, or as new as mine, anyway.

About the only advantage of being disabled, is the money I'd otherwise spend on travel gets spent on lovely new tech stuff, if I think it's worth it.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Return to “Off Topic English”