New graphic engine? Just curious about performance...

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Koci
x3tc

New graphic engine? Just curious about performance...

Post by Koci » Thu, 5. Oct 17, 19:56

Yes, I have old rig, but - if I can play X Rebirth with high graphic settings and decent framerate (about 30-40 FPS) - will it be possible with X4?

Have a nice day :-)

Koci
Koci aka Stary Wuj

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Thu, 5. Oct 17, 20:04

Other section of X4 Q&A thread wrote:Can you already estimate the system requirements?
No we can't, as too much will change.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Thu, 5. Oct 17, 21:01

Depends how far egosoft are willing to push vulkan so it takes all the power out of the gpu as vulkan and dx12 are suppose to bring alot of extra performance with being able to get lower level stuff than previous older api's.

I hope they can. That way you can display larger fleet battles on screen without as much slow down.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

BoronLoco

Post by BoronLoco » Mon, 30. Oct 17, 23:32

I've just finished to see X4 videos and there is something really bad on the graphics at this point, IMO.

Vulkan or not... everything looks like a toy, full of colors, without some contrast, without any deep or sense of void, which space is actually all about. Rebirth graphics has something in this same direction which I really don't like.

Hope Egosoft change some settings here, because X3 Reunion/TC/Albion graphic style, when arrived on its time, was really impressive, and it still looks incredible today.

Glad to see that an X4 is coming anyway.
Best of lucks and wishes

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Tue, 31. Oct 17, 09:39

From the Q&A thread:
Other

Will X4 share the same overall, less reflective, more "cartoonish"/flat looking visual style of XR, or will there materials now have more shady shaders, as could be expected because of the new PBR approach?
We still have some work to do, but hopefully it will look more "shady".
Shown in the 2nd Livestream was also a color correction option.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 31. Oct 17, 14:58

X2-Illuminatus wrote:...Shown in the 2nd Livestream was also a color correction option.
That's pretty interesting. Most games don't give that sort of low-level access to how the graphics are presented. In general, they give access to environmental effects that have since become relatively standardized. (Bloom, water effects, shadow quality, etc) Giving the player access to how the individual ships appear in their game, with a basic desaturate effect for the texture/materials, and who knows what else, is very "new."

Just a note: I'd love to see the ability for the player to easily introduce new texture sets. ie: Relative texture references in an FBX file to texture format files (dds, etc) rather than embedded textures. Though, with PBM, much more may be needed for a player or modder to create quality, useful, teture/material changes.

Return to “X4: Foundations”