Coffee

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mrbadger
x3tc

Coffee

Post by mrbadger » Fri, 6. Oct 17, 16:03

Anyone else here coffee fans?

I don’t mean Starbucks style stuff, I mean proper coffee.
Espresso, Pourover and such.

I’m a big fan of pourover myself having several types - Chemex, Hario (cloth filtered and v60).

I don’t have a Kalita wave cone, I think it’s too basic.

I haven’t tried vacuum filtration yet, but I’m considering getting one of these pretty soon to try it out. In this case I admit it’s mostly because I think it’ll look cool rather than I think it’ll produce a decent cup. It might, I don’t know, but I can engineer a really nice cup in my Chemex.

I pretty default to my Chemex when I want a really good crisp cup of Yirgacheffe light roast, although the Hario woodneck cloth filter is good, just not as crisp.

Espresso has more or less become something I make for guests if the ask for it, although if we’re in a hurry we will use the machine in the morning. One downside of pourover, if it can be called a downside, is it is not fast to make. Personally I enjoy a drink that takes a while to make.

No-one asks for instant in my house, or at least, not twice….

One thing I have never tried is Turkish coffee, because I couldn’t make it safely myself. I’m told it’s lovely.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Fri, 6. Oct 17, 16:09

I hate the taste of coffee. But a few years ago I found myself in the office one weekend in Poland, the vending machine was out of Coke and there were no tea bags, and I badly needed caffeine. But there was a coffee machine.

Seeing as I don't like the taste of coffee I went for the most amount of caffeine in the least amount of coffee - espresso. And now I love 'em (though I still hate the taste of any other form of coffee eg cakes, ice cream, or any coffee other than espresso).

I have one of these and use illy espresso ground coffee.
Last edited by RegisterMe on Fri, 6. Oct 17, 17:25, edited 1 time in total.
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 6. Oct 17, 16:53

Caffeine doesn't play nice with my kidneys, so I think I've drunk maybe half a dozen cups of coffee in as many years...used to love the stuff, but waking up in the middle of the night feeling like someone's been punching you in the lower back is not a good tradeoff for a few minutes of drinking pleasure! :(

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Fri, 6. Oct 17, 17:51

This is a pretty accurate representation of my relation with coffee.

I don't drink that much... 1-2 cups a day depending of how awake I am, and I'm still trying to reduce. But I love the taste like a Teladi likes it's profitsssss.
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Fri, 6. Oct 17, 17:54

I'm Australian. So of course. ;)

(Actually I'm anomalous - though I like good coffee, I'm also happy with cruddy Instant. :) ).
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

berth
x4

Post by berth » Fri, 6. Oct 17, 18:22

We use this with various coffee beans which we grind ourselves. Standard Lavazza as the day-to-day, other (nicer) stuff on high days and holidays.

All pretty basic kit but it works for us.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 6. Oct 17, 19:07

I used to be a big coffee person, but I went for quality over quantity. I drank strong, black coffee (usually Illy or Segafredo) two or three times a day at home and/or work, and normally had a double espresso at the end of any meal out. Sadly no longer.

A few years ago I had something flu-like, and for a while afterwards I found the taste of both tea and coffee deeply unpleasant. My taste for tea recovered after a few weeks, but I've never been able to bring myself to drink a coffee since. I still have my nice Gaggia espresso and cappuccino machine, but it's basically just kitchen decoration now; guests get cafetière coffee.

And yes, Turkish coffee is indeed nice if you like your coffee strong, but don't expect the smoothness of Italian-style coffee and don't, whatever you do, drink right to the bottom of the cup!

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Fri, 6. Oct 17, 20:34

I have never been a big drinker of coffee, but have considered trying the real stuff again. I was advised to try an Aeropress. which appealed because you can use it outside too, without much problem. I was also told to at least grind my own beans, even try roasting them myself, experiment to work out which is better for me.

Not sure what to think though really, because the reviews seem to be all very positive, or all negative. I just do not know enough about coffee I guess.
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 6. Oct 17, 21:25

I drink two cups* of coffee a day, minimum, every day. I try not to go over two because, back when I was working in a hectic environment, I'd drink at least two liters of coffee a day... (I measured it.)

I love good coffee, but I generally just use my drip coffee-maker every morning. I like espresso and fancy coffees, but never turn up my nose at any coffee. :) Well, except for once, when the restaurant, it was explained to me, accidentally made their last coffee batch in the brewer they had just used for tea, which made the coffee taste horrible.

I used to drink all coffee black. These days, I enjoy a cream/sugar/vanilla creamer mix in my morning joe.

In college, a friend down the hall (Dorms) kept me supplied with espresso during exam week. Saved my life. :)

At one time, I worked in a gubbermint place. They had the strongest "coffee" known to humankind. It was, of course, coffee supplied by "the lowest bidder." It was terrible, could scare paint off a wall without even touching it, and no amount of any additives survived for more than a few seconds once they came into contact with it. To this day, I don't know what it was, though I did occasionally see "Chock Full o' Nuts" containers laying around. No idea if that was it or not, but I sometimes still want a cup of that obnoxious, foul, liquid, just for caffeine boost.

Brands, US: Folger's Classic Roast, Coffee-Mate "Natural Bliss" Vanilla. (No corn syrup, weird stuffs, just cream, sugar, vanilla extract)

* My coffee "cups" are mugs that hold at least two-cup servings. So, it may be four fluid cups that I drink a day.

PSA on Health and Coffee consumption: There have been a lot of studies on coffee and positive health benefits. While there does seem to be some, I think we all have to be careful of such claims, especially since they tend to congregate during "fad studies." Here's a quick blurb from Mayo Clinic.
Last edited by Morkonan on Fri, 6. Oct 17, 21:29, edited 1 time in total.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Fri, 6. Oct 17, 21:27

I only drink fairly weak coffee, probably around half or less what would usually be used for a portion.

Since my brain injury, the things I can tolerate changed drastically, tea is mostly out, unless very carefully made. Coffee needs to be weak, which is why I buy very expensive beans, so I get nice flavor, to make up for the lack of any real strength.

I know people who can down constant double espressos from the starbucks in our faculty building. Aside from the awful taste of their coffee, being mostly over roasted beans, I don't see how they can cope with the caffeine.

To me coffee is more about the experience and the flavor than the caffeine.

I had a Bialetti Moka. I don't know what happened to it. I need to get a replacement, but it's difficult deciding which one to replace it with.

I'm sort of tempted by this
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 6. Oct 17, 21:38

mrbadger wrote:...I had a Bialetti Moka. I don't know what happened to it. I need to get a replacement, but it's difficult deciding which one to replace it with.

I used a neighbor's stovetop coffee percolator back in college. It was a bit unique for the US, but did a passable job with espresso. I wouldn't use it for regular coffee, I don't think. (Never tried)

I use 12 cup drip coffee-makers, either a Mr. Coffee or a Cuisinart brand. (Both do just fine.)

There's a rivalry between drip and percolator fans, not sure if there's any quality substance behind it in regards to taste/experience.

berth
x4

Post by berth » Fri, 6. Oct 17, 22:50

mrbadger wrote:...I had a Bialetti Moka. I don't know what happened to it. I need to get a replacement, but it's difficult deciding which one to replace it with.

That looks like a moka pot just without the pot - should work.

If you want espresso then the Bialetti doesn't really cut it, at least not if you want good crema and all that. Personally I tend to go for half-and-half coffee and hot milk.

I looked at the links in your OP. What's the difference between "pour over" and old-fashioned filter coffee?

The other thing - the siphon - I saw being used by some hipster types in Amsterdam earlier this year and I was quite intrigued. As you say, it looks great but how well does it work I wonder.

If you want a new moka pot, you could do worse than going with the classic design. It was invented by Bialetti afaik.

My sister has a Neapolitan coffee pot which involves a fair amount of ritual. I believe the coffee it makes is ok.

apogee
x3tc

Post by apogee » Sat, 7. Oct 17, 00:35

Yes, I love coffee, black no sugar. but i'm no expert. mrbadgers post mentioned words i've never heard of! though i've got lazy recenly and drink (expensive) instant....

oh, you know that show, i've never seen star wars.....

well i've never drank a cup of tea. its the smell, as it approaches the nose, its unpleasant, for all i know it could taste great, but the smell gets me before it gets anywhere. plus used tea bags stink!

Aken_Bosch
Moderator (Italiano)
Moderator (Italiano)
x4

Post by Aken_Bosch » Sat, 7. Oct 17, 01:40

berth wrote:If you want espresso then the Bialetti doesn't really cut it, at least not if you want good crema and all that.
I'm reading a bit of confusion in the thread about the definition of espresso: proper "Espresso" coffee is actually only the one made using high pressure espresso machines, and is also the one with the highest caffeine content and strongest flavour. Bialetti produces "moka" machines, in which the coffee is still produced through percolation but at a far lower pressure: the result is somewhat less concentrated than espresso coffee, but still with a very strong flavour if done correctly.

As any Italian worth the definition :P, I rarely have less than 3-4 coffees a day, and 5-6 more often than not. The day doesn't really start until the ritual cappuccino if in a bar, or moka coffee+milk at home, then mandatory ones after lunch/dinner, and usually at least another couple during morning/afternoon...in recent years I've fallen to the dark side of electric-pump home espresso machines, I'll use that usually when in a hurry but it doesn't come near to a real espresso made in the right way with a good bar machine. Whenever possible I prefer to take my time in preparing a good coffee with the moka, I enjoy the preparation almost as much as the coffee itself.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sat, 7. Oct 17, 02:00

Why would anyone drink "instant" coffee? It's repulsive... It's like "instant tea", which is equally repulsive. It's like "chicory" vs "coffee" = It's not that there's no contest, it's that one doesn't even qualify to be in a contest.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Sat, 7. Oct 17, 02:00

Aken_Bosch wrote: I'm reading a bit of confusion in the thread about the definition of espresso: proper "Espresso" coffee is actually only the one made using high pressure espresso machines, and is also the one with the highest caffeine content and strongest flavour. Bialetti produces "moka" machines, in which the coffee is still produced through percolation but at a far lower pressure: the result is somewhat less concentrated than espresso coffee, but still with a very strong flavour if done correctly.
Some American blokes told me recently Espresso simply mean highly concentrated coffee! In my culture people usually only drink one cup of coffee a day because our brewing method is very concentrate, like a 1:1 ratio between coffee and water. Drinking it black is worse than the most bitter medicine. Nobody called them espresso though, not even know about the word until I came to the US, feel like they're just commercial jingle to me :D

Golden_Gonads
x3tc

Post by Golden_Gonads » Sat, 7. Oct 17, 02:28

I prefer proper coffee to instant, but frankly the idea of spending the extra minute or two making it as opposed to just bunging a spoonful of powder in the cup, tends to make me refrain.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Sat, 7. Oct 17, 12:39

berth wrote:
I looked at the links in your OP. What's the difference between "pour over" and old-fashioned filter coffee?
Filter coffee, a machine does it for you. Decent coffee, in fact filter coffee is the standard means by which coffee bean quality is judged.

Pour over, you control every aspect of your cup yourself, but there are levels of complexity, with the higher levels making it possible to engineer a coffee to exactly suit your tastes.

And it is a case of engineering, there is a lot of precise measuring and timing involved if you want reproducible results.

maybe watch this? 8 mins

My order of preference is -> Chemex -> Cloth filter -> V60

Pour over isn't new, it's been around since the middle of the last century, but it's very geeky, and hugely enjoyable.

There are some nice filter machines, like the Technivorm-Moccamaster, which I do like the look of, and might get anyway, because of its reputation as a quality device that lasts decades.

Filter coffee machines are starting to turn up that are including pour over style automation.

For example, Chemex themselves have produced a machine that you can put a Chemex pot in that will brew your coffee, and there are filter machines that will brew Hario style pourover. At a hefty price tag mind, usuyally far more than it would cost to just do it yourself, but then you'd be paying so you wouldn't have to.
Last edited by mrbadger on Sat, 7. Oct 17, 16:01, edited 3 times in total.

berth
x4

Post by berth » Sat, 7. Oct 17, 15:48

mrbadger wrote:..And it is a case of engineering, there is a lot of precise measuring and timing involved if you want reproducible results.

maybe watch this? 8 mins

Pour over isn't new, it's been around since the middle of the last century, but it's very geeky, and hugely enjoyable.
Crikey, that's a lot more faff than I could be dealing with! You have to love those Portlandia folks though. :)

This thread puts me in mind of this Guardian article from a few years back, which may strike a chord.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Sat, 7. Oct 17, 16:11

it's as much about the making of the coffee as it is about drinking it. Or it is for me.

I am driving my wife slowly insane with my coffee stuff. I've been ordered to have our builder put up extra shelves up to house all my coffee making equipment, or there will be shouty consequences.

Everything but the espresso machine, she likes that, and it's the one thing I won't use, I am well aware that I cannot afford a decent espresso machine, but I can make a near perfect (for me) cup of pour over.

Interesting article, and I note he only used a small amount of coffee too.

Return to “Off Topic English”