X4 question - alternative to boarding/capturing ships

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

assemblerbot
x3tc

X4 question - alternative to boarding/capturing ships

Post by assemblerbot » Mon, 9. Oct 17, 12:24

Hello, I have a question for developers.

Let's say I see a friendly NPC ship I want. Are you planning to implement some feature (bribe, generated quest, or something else) so I can obtain that ship without using force and damaging my reputation?

.. like in real life, if somebody offered me enough money for my car, I would not hesitate to sell it :-)

dctrjons
x4

Post by dctrjons » Mon, 9. Oct 17, 13:03

Caution with this, for one you likely can...called a shipyard. Not being facetious but this is exploitable. If you had infinite money, you could theoretically buy the universe ...kinda boring. There is no risk, no "story" to come from the action, just adding a mechanic for what is already there.

And think of it, you might think it makes sense, but in reality it doesn't....because it doesn't happen, people buy from those who are selling. In X3 there were "for sale" events and these made sense (although as far as i remember were always ripoffs) but not sure if there were circumstances that ever made it worth it.

I get the desire, but as a hasmeplay mechanic...more effort than its wortth for a developer. More mod worthy. Quests make sense...and i would almost guarantee it.

assemblerbot
x3tc

Post by assemblerbot » Mon, 9. Oct 17, 13:44

Yes, I'm aware of possibility to exploit 'bribe feature'. That's why I'm asking if there is any planned feature to do it right way.

For example if NPC is not willing to sell ship it may be willing to exchange it for more expensive one with specific fitting. So at the end of the day it would be like more complex delivery mission.

That was just example, my point is I'd like to have a more role-play way to obtain ships from friendly NPC's. Attacking friends and then apologizing and fixing reputation is not what I want to do if I'm not a pirate. :-)

wolvern
xr

Re: X4 question - alternative to boarding/capturing ships

Post by wolvern » Mon, 9. Oct 17, 15:00

assemblerbot wrote:Hello, I have a question for developers.

Let's say I see a friendly NPC ship I want. Are you planning to implement some feature (bribe, generated quest, or something else) so I can obtain that ship without using force and damaging my reputation?

.. like in real life, if somebody offered me enough money for my car, I would not hesitate to sell it :-)
Why can't i be the ALL POWERFUL type in the universe and say hey... i want your ship... what's your price....

Like literally? what would it take for a captain to actually give you the shirt off their back... happens in real life... if i offered someone 1 mill... i could pretty much just ask them for their car directly from the sidewalk, no salesman, no warranty, just I LIKE THAT and take it without a fight?
Not being cheating or anything but damn... if you have enough money you can basically walk around like you've got cheats on and take many ships without a fight. I could tell pirates to piss off, i could bribe reputation without impact to other reputations because all i did was pay someone, i didn't attack anyone else.

assemblerbot
x3tc

Post by assemblerbot » Mon, 9. Oct 17, 15:47

All of you tries to say that after playing few hundreds of hours and reaching money limit bribing someone is like cheating. But I don't see any difference if you have at that moment boarding ship full of maxed marines or M3+ equipped with 8x PBE and you can take everything that flies in seconds. And if not just load and try again.

First is just more merchant way while second is more military way. But you can get any ship you see anyway.

wolvern
xr

Post by wolvern » Mon, 9. Oct 17, 15:50

assemblerbot wrote:All of you tries to say that after playing few hundreds of hours and reaching money limit bribing someone is like cheating. But I don't see any difference if you have at that moment boarding ship full of maxed marines or M3+ equipped with 8x PBE and you can take everything that flies in seconds. And if not just load and try again.

First is just more merchant way while second is more military way. But you can get any ship you see anyway.
Well people think you need to fight for things in the universe, why can't i be a teladi and buy it all?

assemblerbot
x3tc

Post by assemblerbot » Mon, 9. Oct 17, 16:05

I meant something more like buy from friends, fight with enemies. Of course Xenon shall not sell it's ship :-)

Slashman
x4

Post by Slashman » Mon, 9. Oct 17, 17:28

assemblerbot wrote:I meant something more like buy from friends, fight with enemies. Of course Xenon shall not sell it's ship :-)
What if you offered it a terabyte RAM upgrade? It would probably consent to live in a toaster for that tasty treat.
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Mon, 9. Oct 17, 19:38

The captain of capital ships is rarely the owner of the ship...
Also if some random guy would come to my window on the road, offering to buy my car i would be more than wary of him. This is not how you do proper business.
I don't really see a point in this proposal. You can get ships at shipyards. If it's a special ship, then there should be special means to aquire it. Previous games didn't allow you to some special ships (that are clearly not "UFO") other than boarding - this should be adressed. But the way proposed is silly imo. Unless your captains would regulary get bribed to sell YOUR ship too :P That would be only fair
[ external image ]
X-Tended TC Mod Team Veteran.
Modeller of X3AP Split Acinonyx, Split Drake, Argon Lotan, Teladi Tern. My current work:

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Mon, 9. Oct 17, 20:44

Killjaeden wrote:But the way proposed is silly imo. Unless your captains would regulary get bribed to sell YOUR ship too :P That would be only fair
:D :thumb_up:
-
Boron passenger: "You must hurry - my testicles are drying out!"
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff

wolvern
xr

Post by wolvern » Mon, 9. Oct 17, 20:58

RAVEN.myst wrote:
Killjaeden wrote:But the way proposed is silly imo. Unless your captains would regulary get bribed to sell YOUR ship too :P That would be only fair
:D :thumb_up:
Well if you think about it, in XR they mention that getting too close to the xenon would cause your system to become infested and as such taken over by them..... so yes, it really could be a feature where your cap ships turn in battle, it'd be awesome if it was story driven or something that works into a story but that would mean the game would need stories made for many characters randomly. The background story / job history when hiring would add extra depth and help you gain loyal employees.

Like in games like rimworld, where randomly generated characters have traits and can't do some tasks well at all it'd be welcomed to have such pilots that have a drink driving charge as such when looked at with a police license in possession.

THIS WOULD ADD DEPTH WE NEED!

Return to “X4: Foundations”