Firefox and Legacy add ons...

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

greypanther
x3ap

Firefox and Legacy add ons...

Post by greypanther » Fri, 13. Oct 17, 20:54

So, just having opened Firefox to look at this forum, I find that NoScript and Addblock plus are both listed as Legacy and no longer seem to work properly. Do I need to change browser maybe? Or is there an alternative?

I am unsure which other browser to use as I cannot think of another I like as well as Firefox used to be.
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

felter
xr

Post by felter » Fri, 13. Oct 17, 21:23

There is a new noscript it's called noscript security suite with todays release date. As for adblock plus, you may want to take a look at this. I stopped using it a while back due to these sort of reports, now I use uBlock there are also some decent anti-anti-anti addblocking scripts for that too. Also did you know that adblock plus has nothing to do with adblock.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Fri, 13. Oct 17, 21:51

I have just downloaded the no script security suite and it is still showing as Legacy. That too does not seem to be working properly either. No I did not know that about Addblock plus, I have had it for ages, a few years in fact. It does block You Tube adverts. Or did anyway, I have just deleted it.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Fri, 13. Oct 17, 22:03

Just because something is showing as legacy now doesn't mean the developers won't update it.

I'm having a few issues with noscript, but in the few situations where I can't overcome them, I switch to another browser temporarily.

Ablock plus works ok for me, legacy or not. I can't stop using Firefox. Firstly because I have a lot of customization I don't want to lose, and secondly because I have entire module based around it.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Fri, 13. Oct 17, 22:26

Note: Starting in Firefox 57, which will be released in November 2017, only extensions built with this new technology will work in Firefox. These are indicated by the "Compatible with Firefox 57+" label on addons.mozilla.org (AMO). Extensions built with the old technology are labeled "Legacy" in the Add-on Manager (about:addons) tab.

Keep in mind that many developers are in the process of updating to the new compatible format. Once they make the transition, your extension will automatically update and there is nothing you need to do.

If you are using legacy add-ons and want to start looking for alternatives in case they become incompatible in Firefox 57, use the extension finder utility to look up the extension you would like to replace and discover recommended replacements.

For more help, please head over to the FAQs
It seems the Firefox people say otherwise. However we can hope that the developers do indeed update to the new format. I hope they do. Also which other browsers do you recommend mrbadger?

felter
xr

Post by felter » Fri, 13. Oct 17, 22:37

The legacy feature is there to show you what addons have been updated right nwo you don't need to worry about using them.
Note: Starting in Firefox 57, which will be released in November 2017, only extensions built with this new technology will work in Firefox. These are indicated by the "Compatible with Firefox 57+" label on addons.mozilla.org (AMO). Extensions built with the old technology are labeled "Legacy" in the Add-on Manager (about:addons) tab.

Keep in mind that many developers are in the process of updating to the new compatible format. Once they make the transition, your extension will automatically update and there is nothing you need to do.

If you are using legacy add-ons and want to start looking for alternatives in case they become incompatible in Firefox 57, use the extension finder utility to look up the extension you would like to replace and discover recommended replacements.
So I wouldn't worry about it too much right now.

Fox are using a blocker that blocks the use of an adblocker, but I have a blocker that blocks the blocker that they use to block my blocker. so my adblocker works and I can watch their channel without their adds. Mind you the link you gave is region locked, but I can also get around this by using a VPN to connect to a server in the states. I don't know why they bother with these things nowadays.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 13. Oct 17, 22:37

For those who have critical addons that haven't yet been ported to the web-extension scheme: https://www.ghacks.net/2017/08/08/firef ... y-add-ons/

I have only a couple of addons, entirely for security. I'm fairly confident they'll get updated, eventually, or other solutions will rise to the top of the bowl. People with obscure or esoteric addons that aren't broadly used may want to switch to Firefox ESR to get a bit more time.

If adblocker and javascript blocker addons get largely orphaned or become easier to compromise under this new scheme, prepare for a malware-flood of Biblical proportions... Those sorts of free, easy-to-use, casual, yet effective, protections are what are protecting many users right now.

And, if that happens... I can see it now -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1x4JkZTfPs

The Age of the Blocker is over. The Time of the Popup has come. :)

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Fri, 13. Oct 17, 22:45

felter wrote: Mind you the link you gave is region locked, but I can also get around this by using a VPN to connect to a server in the states.
But I only live in England and do not need a VPN, to view the link. Has Scotland declared independence, whilst I wasn't looking? :o

I was not worrying so much, but trying to plan ahead, sorry if that seems unduly pessimistic... :P

Edit: I do not want to become, nor am I at present an Orc, Mork! :D

I block pop ups too! :P

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 13. Oct 17, 22:52

greypanther wrote:....Edit: I do not want to become, nor am I at present an Orc, Mork! :D...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPOb3DlB7WA

:)

felter
xr

Post by felter » Fri, 13. Oct 17, 23:00

greypanther wrote:
felter wrote: Mind you the link you gave is region locked, but I can also get around this by using a VPN to connect to a server in the states.
But I only live in England and do not need a VPN, to view the link. Has Scotland declared independence, whilst I wasn't looking? :o

I was not worrying so much, but trying to plan ahead, sorry if that seems unduly pessimistic... :P

Edit: I do not want to become, nor am I at present an Orc, Mork! :D

I block pop ups too! :P
Interesting as it did region block me, and that was using an English IP address, but it's fine using the US one.

You also asked about browsers, I'm currently testing a Browser called Brave it's still in development but it works. The good thing about it is that it has the adblocker built in.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sat, 14. Oct 17, 02:59

Troubleshooting note:

It appears that not all addons are actually "disabled." It may be that their icons and controls are no longer signed/whatever and aren't easily accessible. Some popular addons can't be fixed to work with FF until the next version is due, likely sometime in November. Some may not be able to be fully ported over, however.

You can try to get your "legacy" addons installed and working by uninstalling them/disabling completely, and then reinstalling them from the addons page or their own site. This may, however, only be a temporary fix and the browser might kick them out or lock them down, again, after a reboot.

I'm experimenting with NoScript, since it's a critical lightweight javascript blocker and it's working, as of this moment, since I reinstalled it.

Another critical sort of "convenience" security feature app is the EFF's "Https Everywhere" which is a very simple little "force https if available" app. It works fine, wasn't effected, but it still listed as "Legacy." Because it's so simple, it'll probably not need any serious work to get that tag off of it.

If you've got a troublesome addon, post your results with reinstalls and or any workarounds you've found.

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Sat, 14. Oct 17, 09:19

Giorgio is porting NoScript over to the new extension model.

I'm currently testing AdBlocker Ultimate.

Using Firefox 56.0 (64-bit), NoScript is working and 58.0a1 (2017-10-13)(64-bit), NoScript in it's current sate is disabled by default.
Open Rights Group - Is your site being blocked
Electronic Frontier Foundation - Online Censorship
The Linux Foundation - Let’s Encrypt
Check if your Email account has been pwned

Rednoahl
x4

Post by Rednoahl » Sat, 14. Oct 17, 10:52

I use the beta (57.0b8) and a current version of firefox. Yesterday the beta was broken with all my addons, but it's fine today (I only use the ccurrent version for a couple of site forums that don't work on the beta usually.) I was a bit worried there for a while. I've had to fall back on Pale Moon before, but some of my addons don't work for that either.

Version 57 has been really slow for me and I strongly recommend turning telemetry off - you'll probably have to customise your firefox to get it how you like it again too as Mozilla keep trying to make things neat and minimal meaning I've had extra clicks to do instead of just one.

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Sat, 14. Oct 17, 12:06

For what it's worth, I've been using Vivaldi after switching from Firefox about a year ago and I've been very happy with it - it's a far more customisable interface on the Chrome rendering engine (honestly my favourite feature is still that it lets me put my tab bar on the side). Won't suit all Firefox users though.
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

eladan
x4

Post by eladan » Sun, 15. Oct 17, 05:53

I had a problem yesterday with noscript disappearing. I followed the instructions here to get it working again.

It's still working fine even though it's listed as legacy.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 15. Oct 17, 07:46

I think it ought to work fine in v56 of Firefox, which is the current live build? It's in v57 that legacy things get turned off, so unless you're running a beta build, it shouldn't be an issue?

[EDIT] Weirdly, after I posted the above, I found the NoScript icon had disappeared from my laptop--it's still fine on the desktop PC. I found the fix as well: if you restart Firefox in safe mode (e.g. add-ons disabled), then quit and restart normally, the NoScript icon comes back.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sun, 15. Oct 17, 17:43

Was looking over the NoScript forums the other day. Restart/etc sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. A reinstall seems to work best, but YMMV.

For me, I noticed that on Win10, NoScript goes "Legacy" as soon as FF gets its update hit. But, on my Win7 machine, it's fine. (Both the same version, just different OS.)

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 15. Oct 17, 22:54

NoScript has been showing as "legacy" for months for me, which is why I was surprised when the icon disappeared on my laptop.

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Mon, 16. Oct 17, 11:15

well, firefox will update to version 57 on the November 2017, then all legacy addons will cease to function. As for no script, that will get ported to the new extension format, and that will be version 10 of new script. and the older version of no script will no longer be supported. (I checked the no script forum)

Still, it seems that porting over might be a headache, as many of the best addons aren't ready for the new extension format. So not much time left before the switch over.

Edit

Found this on addblocker plus

https://adblockplus.org/blog/the-plan-t ... -extension

It will get ported over, but they are having to rewrite most of the code and using the google chrome addblocker as a start. Also google isn't that interested in this new web extension format, and it seems moving extensions over isn't as easy as people would have hoped. So right now, many existing extensions simply aren't ready or will never be ported over due to the work involved. then there is the problem of if this new format will be adopted well enough. So a rocky road ahead.
=

Return to “Off Topic English”