Firefox and Legacy add ons...

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 15. Oct 17, 07:46

I think it ought to work fine in v56 of Firefox, which is the current live build? It's in v57 that legacy things get turned off, so unless you're running a beta build, it shouldn't be an issue?

[EDIT] Weirdly, after I posted the above, I found the NoScript icon had disappeared from my laptop--it's still fine on the desktop PC. I found the fix as well: if you restart Firefox in safe mode (e.g. add-ons disabled), then quit and restart normally, the NoScript icon comes back.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sun, 15. Oct 17, 17:43

Was looking over the NoScript forums the other day. Restart/etc sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. A reinstall seems to work best, but YMMV.

For me, I noticed that on Win10, NoScript goes "Legacy" as soon as FF gets its update hit. But, on my Win7 machine, it's fine. (Both the same version, just different OS.)

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 15. Oct 17, 22:54

NoScript has been showing as "legacy" for months for me, which is why I was surprised when the icon disappeared on my laptop.

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Mon, 16. Oct 17, 11:15

well, firefox will update to version 57 on the November 2017, then all legacy addons will cease to function. As for no script, that will get ported to the new extension format, and that will be version 10 of new script. and the older version of no script will no longer be supported. (I checked the no script forum)

Still, it seems that porting over might be a headache, as many of the best addons aren't ready for the new extension format. So not much time left before the switch over.

Edit

Found this on addblocker plus

https://adblockplus.org/blog/the-plan-t ... -extension

It will get ported over, but they are having to rewrite most of the code and using the google chrome addblocker as a start. Also google isn't that interested in this new web extension format, and it seems moving extensions over isn't as easy as people would have hoped. So right now, many existing extensions simply aren't ready or will never be ported over due to the work involved. then there is the problem of if this new format will be adopted well enough. So a rocky road ahead.
=

Return to “Off Topic English”