Star Trek - Discovery

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Usenko
x3

Star Trek - Discovery

Post by Usenko » Mon, 16. Oct 17, 14:24

Well, we've seen the pilot and three episodes now. Of those, the Pilot was pretty good, and two of the three regular episodes were decent. The middle one not so much. But . . for a new show (and allowing for early instalment weirdness) not bad at all.
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Mon, 16. Oct 17, 14:59

Episode 5 might have a couple of senseless f words in it. I haven't finished watching it.

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Mon, 16. Oct 17, 15:06

Aye, that it does. :)
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Mon, 16. Oct 17, 16:46

What is the opposite of "senseless" in this context? Sensitive?

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Mon, 16. Oct 17, 17:23

jlehtone wrote:What is the opposite of "senseless" in this context? Sensitive?
Intelligent, worthwhile

felter
xr

Post by felter » Tue, 17. Oct 17, 18:49

It's Da Bomb

And I don't mean, it darn good, I mean someone needs to take a bomb to it and blow it up. I watched the first episode and went okay I wont judge a book by it's cover, or in this case a tv show on its first episode. Watched the second episode, still wasn't impressed, looks good and that's it. Got half way through the third episode and went, why am I watching this and turned it off, never managed to watch it all.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Golden_Gonads
x3tc

Post by Golden_Gonads » Wed, 18. Oct 17, 16:13

felter wrote:Got half way through the third episode and went, why am I watching this and turned it off, never managed to watch it all.
Thats odd. Most the comments I've read are from people who say that the third episode is when it picks up.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 18. Oct 17, 16:50

Haven't seen it yet...

/shrug

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Wed, 18. Oct 17, 18:55

My plan is to leave it till at least season 3, then make up my own mind, not let anyone else make the decision for me, especially not my 'trek can do no wrong' sister.

I was told Voyager was garbage, but I loved it. I was told Enterprise was garbage too, and I agreed, but only after watching it myself. I've never managed to watch it all. I tried, it's unbearable. And I like most of the season 3 TOS episodes too (well. I can watch all of them, 'like' doesn't apply to "Spocks Brain").

That singing in the opening credits really didn't help.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Thu, 19. Oct 17, 11:21

Enterprise was great.

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Thu, 19. Oct 17, 13:22

So far, a quick rating:

Episode 1 & 2: Solid B-. But these are a prologue rather than true episodes.

Episode 3: B.

Episode 4: C-.

Episode 5: B+

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Fri, 20. Oct 17, 10:57

mrbadger wrote:My plan is to leave it till at least season 3, then make up my own mind, not let anyone else make the decision for me, especially not my 'trek can do no wrong' sister.

I was told Voyager was garbage, but I loved it. I was told Enterprise was garbage too, and I agreed, but only after watching it myself. I've never managed to watch it all. I tried, it's unbearable. And I like most of the season 3 TOS episodes too (well. I can watch all of them, 'like' doesn't apply to "Spocks Brain").

That singing in the opening credits really didn't help.
It's hard for shows these days... They get cancelled on a whim.

The first 2 seasons of Next Generation where utter shite. I'm amazed the show was picked up after the pilot. It became something awesome. DS9 certainly has a week start, I would argue that it took Sisko growing his beard for the show to find its feet. Brookes wanted the head shaved and beard from the start, but they wouldn't let him. He can only act in one way, and that character has a shaved head and a beard... So the show became fantastic.

Enterprise tried to be something different, while being written by the same people as other Trek and hitting the same beats. And it suffered for it. I liked the way they 'evolved' the vulcans into what we know about them today. Just as the show was starting to improve, they had the Orion slave-girl episode, which was quite possible one of the worst hour's of TV ever made.

Voyager was just awful. The people making it knew it was awful. Interviews with the writers knew they were being constrained to make a villain-of-the-week show even while they wanted to make a different kind of show (e.g. Ronald Moore made Battlestar Galactica after Voyager. That is how he wanted Voyager to be, they were in the middle of nowhere with no resources and a divided crew. Instead Voyager had enough resources to crash a shuttle every other episode and a crew that integrated by the 2nd episode, apart from the cylon, sorry, cardassian, disguised as a Bajorian... Who becomes pregnant by one of the Voyager crew... Sound familiar? )

I've not seen Discovery yet, waiting to see if it gets cancelled before I invest time watching it. From the trailers, the main lady has zero charisma.

I'm a huge fan of Abram's Trek 2009 (not so much the 2nd film, not seen the 3rd). I think that film is borderline masterpiece... Yes I'm well aware of how that makes me sound... I just love the film (not the numb-tongue or swollen hands though... no no no). It's no Wrath of Khan, but it hits the notes for me in a very different way.

e.g. I think The Incredibles is one of the best films every made. So is Blade Runner, so is Alien, so is Citizen Kane, all for very different reasons. I accept that if the music was removed from Trek 2009, the film wouldn't be watchable... But the music is part of the film/experience. Imagine Blade Runner without music... Imagine Alien WITH music (it has surprisingly little...)

I've taken a stroll down tangent boulevard as usual...

TL;DR
I want to see it, I hope the studio give it time to grow, very few shows are good from the start
"I've got a bad feeling about this!" Harrison Ford, 5 times a year, trying to land his plane.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 20. Oct 17, 12:52

Jericho wrote: The first 2 seasons of Next Generation where utter shite. I'm amazed the show was picked up after the pilot.
I didn't think "Encounter at Farpoint" was actually all that bad. Considering it had to introduce a whole new ship and crew to the audience it made a decent first of it, I think. Yes, many of the episodes of the first season weren't stellar, but I don't think there were any that were out-and-out unwatchable.

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Fri, 20. Oct 17, 13:09

DS9
Allamaraine!

imperium3
x3tc

Post by imperium3 » Fri, 20. Oct 17, 14:09

It has promise but isn't delivering. They have the makings of a really interesting ensemble cast there, but so far (haven't seen the latest episode) are ruining it by putting all the focus on the least likeable one there, to the point that you barely remember the names of the rest of the crew. I especially wish they'd spend more time on the engineer guy who strongly reminds me of Wash from Firefly.

Also all the Klingon stuff seems to be going nowhere fast.

imperium3
x3tc

Post by imperium3 » Fri, 20. Oct 17, 14:12

Jericho wrote: The first 2 seasons of Next Generation where utter shite. I'm amazed the show was picked up after the pilot. It became something awesome.
In retrospect, they are bad, but it seems audiences at the time watched it anyway - maybe because they didn't have the heights of later seasons to compare it with.

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Fri, 20. Oct 17, 15:08

imperium3 wrote:
Jericho wrote: The first 2 seasons of Next Generation where utter shite. I'm amazed the show was picked up after the pilot. It became something awesome.
In retrospect, they are bad, but it seems audiences at the time watched it anyway - maybe because they didn't have the heights of later seasons to compare it with.
Having re-watched them with my kids, both seasons have moments of pure joy, even if they struggle. And more importantly, the characterisation of most of the main cast is strong (Deanna Troi less so; I think she really only hit her stride when she did her bridge exam, and therefore her identity as Counsellor became a background detail rather than her reason for being).

So even if you found most of the shows poor, there was (I think) evidence of potential.

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Fri, 20. Oct 17, 15:16

her reason for being
Was her breasts, according to her in later after show ended interviews.

Rnett
x2

Post by Rnett » Fri, 20. Oct 17, 18:16

I thought this was her best episode. Too bad is was late in the series.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Fri, 20. Oct 17, 19:22

Personally I like Tin Man best.

{Link fixed - Terre}
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Return to “Off Topic English”