Memories.

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

greypanther
x3ap

Memories.

Post by greypanther » Thu, 26. Oct 17, 20:08

It is kind of strange, to me anyway, how some memories can be triggered from surprising directions. Today during a clearout I came across the Baldur Gate 2 CD discs, so thought, why not see if they will still load and the game will run..

They did and it still runs on my Windows 7 machine, which was great, except for me realising how good the game still is. A couple of hours later, I was reminded, not of the table top AD&D that I used to play, back in Blackpool, but the smell of the house where we played it. Amazing. I miss the place and the gaming and now feel like trying to track them all down. ( Players. )

Anyone got any stories of memories triggered unexpectedly?

Also makes me wonder how they manage to sell the enhanced edition on Steam too, for $ 14.99! :o
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

apogee
x3tc

Post by apogee » Thu, 26. Oct 17, 21:55

i associate various music cd's I played at the same time as playing a game, so if I play it now it triggers memories of playing a game.

smells can also trigger of a memory.

Cpt.Jericho
x3tc

Post by Cpt.Jericho » Thu, 26. Oct 17, 22:44

Sometimes, when I dig up some old games I haven touched in many years, I get that playing for the first time feeling. But also my fingers remember the old key combinations. So I play those games with the warm feeling of newness combined with returning home.
Winner of 350 Mil class of X-Verse Fleet Fest Italiano
Boycotting Steam since 2003

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 26. Oct 17, 23:11

Cpt.Jericho wrote:Sometimes, when I dig up some old games I haven touched in many years, I get that playing for the first time feeling. But also my fingers remember the old key combinations.
That never works for me...I forget how to play a game if I don't touch it for a week, much less a span of several years!

I quite often get memories unexpectedly triggered, but they rarely seem to be the pleasant ones--they're usually something embarrassing I would rather forget. About the only exception to that is the taste of Walker's cheese and onion crisps, which always takes me back to a warm comfortable Sunday sometime during my childhood for reasons I don't quite understand.

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Thu, 26. Oct 17, 23:22

I have a lot of really strong associations between pieces of music and other things - I hear whatever the piece is and I'm immediately and in some cases overwhelmingly hit by the memories. I don't know what it is about music in particular - I don't really get the same strength of association with anything else that I can think of. Sometimes it's relevant, but mostly it's just whatever else I happened to be doing when I was listening to that music a lot. I have associations with books, places, people, and video games that I can think of off the top of my head. There's actually a couple of pieces I associate with more than one, entirely unrelated, thing - in both cases, the place where I heard it first, and a person I was close to around that time, but in neither case was the person actually at that place with me!
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

Morkonan
x3tc

Re: Memories.

Post by Morkonan » Thu, 26. Oct 17, 23:49

greypanther wrote:...I miss the place and the gaming and now feel like trying to track them all down. ( Players. )
Do it. Don't go through life making up extra regrets for yourself - You'll already have plenty that it give you on its own. :)
Anyone got any stories of memories triggered unexpectedly?
All the time. We're naturally wired for stimuli responses, especially smells. It's one of the most basic associative responses, requiring no difficult pre-wiring (like music, colors, etc). There are smells that make me remember past girlfriends, filling me with a bit of warmth and not a little regret, then there are smells I don't want to talk about, that set me on edge. Certain sounds also trigger things, most of them in the not-good category, but a few that bring back pleasant memories still.

I have really strong object-recognition/memory stuffs. I can go through a drawer or box of junk and know what everything is, where it came from, what I last did with it, usually when I put it in there, etc... It doesn't matter if it's a screw, even. If I caused it to be there, I know.

Of course, remembering where I put something isn't helped quite so much unless I already have it in my hands...
Also makes me wonder how they manage to sell the enhanced edition on Steam too, for $ 14.99! :o
That's really easy to figure out - They're selling to people who are chasing after the memories they had when they first played the game. "Nostalgia" And, they're also chasing the people who have heard all the great things about it, but have never played it.

On music - As some have mentioned, some music makes me recall certain memories. But, they usually don't have as vivid of an emotional experience as smells and sounds for me. IOW, I remember when I heard certain music or used to listen to it and I remember events surrounding it, but I don't get upset, for instance, from hearing a particular piece of music that I listened to, over and over, when I was going through some emotional times with a girlfriend. I remember the events, but the heavy emotional quality isn't really there. But, smell an old girlfriend's perfume from a woman passing by me in a grocery store... THAT brings back a bunch of emotional squishy things. :)

That's one relatable event that happened to me last week - When pushing my grocery cart down an aisle, I came across the smell of the perfume that an old girlfriend used to wear all the time. BANG! Like, wow, right there in my face, here comes the memories... I must be a werewolf or something. I smoke, but my sense of smell is excellent. I have tinnitus, but my sense of hearing is outstanding. I can hear the tiniest noise on the other side of the house and can smell things that left a long time ago... That lady was already on another aisle far ahead of me. Guess she dosed herself up real good. (I can't stand that! It's worse at restaurants with people who have no compunction against dosing themselves up with perfume... Don't they have noses?)

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Thu, 26. Oct 17, 23:56

greypanther wrote:[...]but the smell of the house[...]and now feel like trying to track them all down. ( Players. )

[..]
Chill out Grenouille.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Thu, 26. Oct 17, 23:57

For video games I usually remember the game a bit and then I hit the start screen and I remember playing it and every area in it by the time it loads. After that it's not much fun because I basically just finished replaying it in my head.

The coffee smell from drip coffee makers wafting through the house always reminds me of my granny's house. A bag of potatoes going off reminded me of her basement which is kind of weird. Nights and some parts of the day can smell like other areas at times but not very often. Sometimes the trees in the back yards can sound like windy days in forests I have been in. There aren't many trees around here compared to a forest.
Last edited by burger1 on Fri, 27. Oct 17, 00:02, edited 1 time in total.

Rednoahl
x4

Post by Rednoahl » Fri, 27. Oct 17, 00:02

greypanther wrote:Anyone got any stories of memories triggered unexpectedly?
Most of my memories that get triggered by gaming are of other people. I was looking for a youtube video the other day after watching a youtuber do a sort of documentary on the bitmap brothers. Just hearing the amiga intro for Speedball2 reminded me of an ex I was with way back. When we were together we both hated washing up so we played Speedball2 to decide who would do it...I ended up doing the washing up quite a lot.

When I was a kid my Dad used to take snuff that he mixed himself. The smell of snuff reminds me of Lords of Midnight and the huge map I made during a very wet period one six week holiday - I think I was grounded. Playing Lords of Midnight now makes me want to listen to 'Macho City' by Steve Miller too.

I heard 'I'm Alive' by Stretch and Vern a few months ago and it reminded me of my mate Dan who I challenged to a scrap. By scrap I meant a go on Soul Edge the beat em up, and cool as a cucumber he says 'yeah sure - round there?' I nod and we go around the corner to where the machine was only for a load of folk to come rushing round the corner with bouncers, bottles in hand and with a gaggle of pale faced lasses all thinking I'm going to beat Dan up. Still makes me chuckle to this day.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 27. Oct 17, 00:04

Anyone else remember "that smell" of a opening up a new PC game? That "fresh printed" smell? The cardboard-boxy smell of the inserts, the printer's ink on the manual (REMEMBER GAME MANUALS?!?!?!)... the smell of the disk when you took it out of the sleeve? (REMEMEMBER SLEEVES!??!?!?!)

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Fri, 27. Oct 17, 00:22

Morkonan wrote:That's really easy to figure out - They're selling to people who are chasing after the memories they had when they first played the game. "Nostalgia" And, they're also chasing the people who have heard all the great things about it, but have never played it.
Only if they are a bit dumb Mork, all the games are for sale on Amazon, much cheaper. :wink:
clakclak wrote:Chill out Grenouille.
Odd...
( perhaps you are a bit too chilled? :P )
Morkonan wrote:Anyone else remember "that smell" of a opening up a new PC game? ]
Yes, the smell of new books too. I love the smell of books, new or old. Heaven.
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Fri, 27. Oct 17, 01:42

Morkonan wrote:Anyone else remember "that smell" of a opening up a new PC game? That "fresh printed" smell? The cardboard-boxy smell of the inserts, the printer's ink on the manual (REMEMBER GAME MANUALS?!?!?!)... the smell of the disk when you took it out of the sleeve? (REMEMEMBER SLEEVES!??!?!?!)
tbh I only remember egosoft's game smell wise, because the smell of the glue they used on the manual ... it was sssssshhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiitttttttttteeeee.

Like, in all of my years I can't remember one box that smell worse that my X3:TC box.

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Fri, 27. Oct 17, 12:51

Smells:
There is a perfume, I never found out the name. It is warm and fruity, with non of the usual alcohol or chemical suspension. The first time I smelt it, I'd been seeing a girl for a couple of weeks, and she said she had a surprise for me. She took me to a house that wasn't hers, and introduced me to her best friend who was a couple of years older than her. She always wore that perfume. That was a fabulous 6 months. Whenever I smell that perfume, I'm suddenly 19 again, and think about something else if I'm wearing suit-trousers...

Music:
When I hear Murder on the Dance Floor (or anything else on that first album) by Sophie Ellis-Bextor, I'm just taken back to the first time I went to the Maldives. Beach hut, on the white sand, diving and snorkeling 3 times a day, hot sweaty nights...

The opening music to Aliens... A bunch of us, 12 years old, at my house, and my 8 year old brother, after waiting for what felt like years and years, the VHS finally came out... The local shop had no qualms about lending the 18-rated film to me and my friends, we were regulars and bought enough coke (cola) from them over the years to keep Atlanta pumping the stuff out. Those few simple sorrowful notes let you know that the whole film is going to be a downer. Great memories.

The smell and creek of leather... See the top entry.

The "new electronics" smell when you turn on a new computer and it gets hot.

If you're old like me, then the smell of that purple solvent they used to use at school to make paper copies by turning the handle to spin the drum, before everyone had photocopiers. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirit_duplicator

And while we're on solvents... The smell of shoe-repair-glue... Amazing I never became a glue-sniffer...
"I've got a bad feeling about this!" Harrison Ford, 5 times a year, trying to land his plane.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Fri, 27. Oct 17, 17:55

Some Quake 3 levels take me right back to my undergrad days, and afternoon lan sessions in the labs at the end of term.

Sometimes I just load them up and I can remember the games so clearly it's almost like I'm watching the matches replay on the computer (I have a very vivid imagination).
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 27. Oct 17, 18:16

Lots of memories rising to the top of the bowl after reading the posts above...

Lol, mimeograph ink! I remember tanking those "purple" tests. My mother was a teacher, too, so sometimes I'd end up going with her to work and would stay in the mimeograph room/teacher's lounge. :)

SSI AD&D "Gold Box" games. I can still here the sound of a "hit" on a character. The sound of footsteps, especially in "The Bard's Tale!" Copies of "Leisure Suit Larry" downloaded off of a dialup BBS... "Wing Commander!"

And, of course, the teenage years... girls... girlfriends. Stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C11MzbEcHlw

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 27. Oct 17, 19:05

Almost a reverse example: while playing Empyrion Galactic Survival one part of the game is first-person drilling for minerals. They recently changed the mechanics a bit, but in the previous version the drill kicked up lots of dust on screen and with suitable sound effects.

During that drilling gameplay I could actually smell the distinctive rock dust odour you get when hammer-drilling stone or concrete! Weird.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sat, 28. Oct 17, 04:25

I remember playing the "Aliens" mod for "Doom." (The old Doom.) There was a time in the game when you walk down a tight passage and it opens up into a dark room full of alien beasties. My imagination took over and I could "feel" the cold of the dark, open, space.

(ie: go through a tight insulated/underground space for long enough, you swear you can feel your own body heat being reflected back from the walls. Then, when it opens up, you can't feel that anymore.)

And.. then it crashed. Couldn't ever get that mod working well. :)

Return to “Off Topic English”