What’s so great about Star Trek anyway?

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sun, 5. Nov 17, 12:21

pjknibbs wrote:
Rnett wrote:Could never really get into watching Enterprise. Hard to take it seriously with Scott Bakula as the captain.
Oh? What was particularly un-serious about Scott Bakula? I thought he did a decent job given the material provided.
Agreed.

He's a good actor. He did a fine job. In fact, in regards to previous portrayals of Star Trek Captains, he brought something different to the role and successfully created the personae of a fledgling Captain doing things his species had never done before and facing situations where there wasn't a regulation that dictated what he should do. He wasn't the standard "cocksure" headstrong Starfleet Captain. In some ways, due to his character's heavy reliance on his own moral compass when making choices in novel situations, he brought back some of what fans wanted of a modern "Captain Kirk" character.

And, yes, some of the material was just "not good." But, Bakula did a good job and I like his character and his portrayal of it.

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Sun, 5. Nov 17, 14:31

Controversial idea - feel free to discuss it, I haven't put much thought into it!

Enterprise isn't any better or worse than the other Star Trek series. It just had the bad luck to be introduced at the time the concept of Social Media was really taking off.

Therefore it couldn't get away with the occasional run of terrible episodes as easily as previous shows - where the negative press really didn't matter anywhere near as much. But by the time Enterprise was introduced, even ONE bad episode could really hurt you; bad press could get around the world before you even had time to say "Actually, that didn't look so good on a small screen."

Today's TV shows are designed in this environment, which means that they are generally more consistent quality (often at the expense of taking risks).

True? Not true? True but . . ?
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Sun, 5. Nov 17, 17:14

possibly true. Not the reason I got fed up with it, since I wasn't caring about reviews at the time. I just wasn't enjoying it much.

But yes, bad reviews can sink something really fast, often before someone even watches something themselves a review will stop them even bothering.
I'm not immune from this myself, but I try to not let it stop me.

It almost certainly did help kill Enterprise, but the old actors from previous shows actively campaigning against it also didn't help.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Mon, 6. Nov 17, 16:31

Both Enterprise and Discovery will suffer from fans picking every little error to bits. All prequels have to run this risk - I not a rabid Trekkie but even I get annoyed when things happen "first" in the prequel that were impossible or "first" in the later (but earlier ;) ) series.

It would have been a lot safer option to have a new series after STNG/DS9/Voyager era - I think TV executives underestimate the fanaticism of fans.
A flower?

Oldman
x3tc

Post by Oldman » Mon, 6. Nov 17, 17:51

Redvers Ganderpoke wrote:....
It would have been a lot safer option to have a new series after STNG/DS9/Voyager era - I think TV executives underestimate the fanaticism of fans.
I agree, I watched about 4 episodes, okay an all that but as a continuation of the series na!
I just lost the feeling I was watching 'Star Trek' generally...however, not too bad as a scifi 'story'.

Oldman :)

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 6. Nov 17, 18:48

Usenko wrote:...True? Not true? True but . . ?
Maybe. :)

"Social Media" was certainly a rapidly rising force and not everyone was prepared to deal with it. Today, they'd "get ahead of the story" using social media instead of lagging behind it.

So, if there's a guy yelling in the middle of the street, people might listen and start yelling too. And, if you're not yelling, his may be the prevailing voice.

I dunno... Enterprise didn't suck. It did rely, later, on some pretty hamfisted efforts to gain an audience and that was a bit disappointing. I understand why they did it, I just wish it could have stood without such hijinks.

TNG gained a pretty big modern Star Trek fanbase. It was successful at introducing a "next generation" of fans to the franchise. Maybe Enterprise deviated too far from a standard TNG sort of Universe? And, maybe it just wasn't the right series for the right time?

Some shows don't suck, but they just can't find their market. Then, years later, the cult following that has devoted itself to the series manages to resurrect it. The, maybe, producers... Oh, wait... That story has already been told. :)

Return to “Off Topic English”