Terran cutlass destroyed my ship OOS, but I am Citizen!

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

SirNukes
x4

Post by SirNukes » Sat, 18. Nov 17, 05:50

Nanook wrote:Can you point me to a link in S&M on how you did this? We don't want to discuss such things in the vanilla forum, after all. :wink:
I hate to make a shameless self-plug, but I went ahead and added the script edit to my personal modding tool, https://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php ... 74#4689974. You can directly grab the edited "!fight.war.protectsector" off github, if preferred.

mistercat
x3ap

Post by mistercat » Sat, 18. Nov 17, 07:34

RAVEN.myst wrote:Thanks for once again some detailed technical info on AI behaviour, SirNukesUnderTheHood :) It gives me a framework should I choose to continue my little experiment at some point (the "groups of up to 5" bit is particularly interesting and potentially useful.)

SirNukes wrote:Personally, I think this enemy spawning is the hokiest thing in AP by a good margin...
I agree. I understand the (surmised) intention of making the area hazardous for "civilians" and what-not, but it could have been done a lot more elegantly. Such a challenge needs to be beatable, in my opinion, as it's precisely the sort of thing that advanced players would enjoy tackling and overcoming.

My thematic experiment was about viably supplying the Argon side of the war zone with much-needed wares - given the war-torn situation, those factories are pretty undersupplied, and eventually also overstocked with products - ideal for lucrative trade. I managed to train CLS2 pilots in Elysium of Light, but it took very long:
- the ship would undock, resulting in a pursuit wave spawning
- thanks to the short distances between stations, the ship would make it to its destination
- now it's waiting for the locals to deal with the pursuit wave
- once dealt with, the ship waits out the remainder of its current "huddle interval"
- undocks, repeating the whole process...

Also, upon reaching level 3 (Supplier), the Zeph now wants to go to OmLy for fighter drones - and gets eaten en route. Manually providing the drones or not installing the FCS (thus disabling drone usage) allowed it to train to level 4 (jump-capable) without a problem, but even so, once I tried to have it trade in OmLy and Chest (never mind Circle!), it spent most of its time avoiding hostiles and eventually dying... :S
It's a hit detection issue. When I started my game, I had an M4 and no money, so I did what anyone would do: scavenge the war sectors for missiles and sell them to EQ docks. I ended up getting killed twice even though neither the Terrans nor the Argon were red. Well, OOS there is no hit detection so collateral damage is technically impossible, so I guess the devs "fixed" it this way.

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Sat, 18. Nov 17, 07:42

mistercat wrote:
RAVEN.myst wrote:-stuff-
It's a hit detection issue.
Nope - the whole point of my experiment was to try to defeat the OoS pursuit waves in the war sectors without my direct intervention (ie. to set up a self-defending infrastructure - I try such off-the-wall things in these games :D ), which meant all of what I described was taking place OoS (and I was therefore actively staying out of there in order to not corrupt the test), which as you know isn't subject to collision detection...
-
Boron passenger: "You must hurry - my testicles are drying out!"
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”