So.... about Mugabe

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

philip_hughes
x3tc

So.... about Mugabe

Post by philip_hughes » Wed, 22. Nov 17, 01:19

Didn't see a post about this but its kinda important imo...

http://www.smh.com.au/world/mugabe-resi ... zq8dl.html

He resigned!

Totally voluntary.

Good for him.
Split now give me death? Nah. Just give me your ship.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Wed, 22. Nov 17, 01:32

Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Wed, 22. Nov 17, 06:38

Worthy of its own thread imo...
Split now give me death? Nah. Just give me your ship.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Wed, 22. Nov 17, 09:00

I’m not very well informed on this, so not really able to comment with any great hope of being correct, but perhaps I’ll be enlightened by someone who knows more in this thread.

To me this just seems like an effort to prevent power leaving the current holders, since Mugabe can’t last much longer.

His Dictatorship has just been handed over to new owners I think.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Avis
x2

Post by Avis » Wed, 22. Nov 17, 11:50

Mubabe has been clinging onto power by the skin of his teeth (even after questionable election results) for years now, what has kept him in power is an older generation including senior military and his ruling Zanu-PF party who view him as a national hero.

What has changed is the apparent automatic assumption that his younger wife, who did not fight in the civil war and is owed nothing by the party or military, preparing to take over from Robert, that was a step too far for even some of his most ardent supporters.
He could rely on their loyalty and gratitude, even with the economic mess the country is in however Grace was another matter.

My personal take is things are far from over in Zimbabwe.

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Wed, 22. Nov 17, 14:32

It kind of scares me that his wife was considered unacceptable by the ZANU-PF party. What do you actually have to do to get there, after Mugabe himself?!
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Wed, 22. Nov 17, 14:35

Dictator being replaced by a dictator. Nothing to celebrate yet.

News showing all the pictures of people kissing the VPs photo and praising him and etc and etc. This is such a typical thing and so common in africa - get rid of some guy, here is the next guy he is amazing and flawless and will solve all our problems and we will ensure he remains in power for life and everything will be great and and and....

felter
xr

Post by felter » Wed, 22. Nov 17, 17:44

Grace Mugabe will have to take great care from now on and watch where she goes as she will no longer have that protection that she got from her husband. She has pissed off a lot of people over the years, the Army don't like her, the people don't like her, Zanu-PF don't like her, the guy now in charge has no reason to like her, and people like her have a tendency to die rather suddenly in Zimbabwe.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Rapier
x3tc

Post by Rapier » Wed, 22. Nov 17, 23:56

I read a tweet from an opposition politician yesterday that was something like, "A tyrant has gone, but tyranny remains.".

I went looking for an attribution and instead found this fro the BBC correspondent: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-42079908. It's a westerner's view, but someone who knows the region and the country well.

My opinion is that it's a step in the right direction, but not yet a big one. Many more need to be taken by the leadership that follows. To appropriate a famous quotation, "It's one big step for a man, one small step for Zimbabwe".
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

muppetts
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Thu, 23. Nov 17, 08:55

Antilogic wrote:Dictator being replaced by a dictator. Nothing to celebrate yet.

News showing all the pictures of people kissing the VPs photo and praising him and etc and etc. This is such a typical thing and so common in africa - get rid of some guy, here is the next guy he is amazing and flawless and will solve all our problems and we will ensure he remains in power for life and everything will be great and and and....
Yeah this, not much posting as not really important, one corrupt, murdering tyrant is knocked off by the wannabe and water is wet.
VURT The only Feathers to Fly With......

Return to “Off Topic English”