realism

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

jpm1

realism

Post by jpm1 » Thu, 7. Dec 17, 18:25

Hello, i love X-rebirth. but i don't like weird things like portals. i say that because i just saw teleportation will probably be part of X4. i don't think it's a good idea. that breaks the realism

Spaceman Sublime
x4

Post by Spaceman Sublime » Thu, 7. Dec 17, 18:27

are portals not dissimilar to jumpgates in terms of technology?

PowerPC603
xr

Post by PowerPC603 » Thu, 7. Dec 17, 19:33

A jumpdrive also creates a portal to transport your ship to another place.
It's just been scaled down to only teleport the player, not his entire ship.

Not using portals (or disliking them) should have kept you in one sector only, because all jumpgates in each sector are in fact portals.
GamePC: 64bit Quad-core i5-3450 @ 3.1GHz, 12GB RAM, nVidia GeForce RTX2070 8GB, 22" LG Full-HD LED-monitor, Windows 7 Home 64bit

theeclownbroze
x4

Post by theeclownbroze » Thu, 7. Dec 17, 21:33

It is a game mostly, and economic simulator secondly, and definitely not a physics simulator. To put it simply, you don't enjoy X games if you aim for realism.

In any case, the devs did mention that jump drives won't be a thing, since it reduces the purpose of exploration iirc.

Silla
xr

Re: realism

Post by Silla » Wed, 13. Dec 17, 13:03

jpm1 wrote:Hello, i love X-rebirth. but i don't like weird things like portals. i say that because i just saw teleportation will probably be part of X4. i don't think it's a good idea. that breaks the realism
Im also finding this kind of odd but maybe for another reason. From a game perspective I’d find the explanation of unit takeover more understandable. But on the other hand this would not explain why I’d have to research this game mechanics. Let alone it opens up another mechanics like research that in return might have not much further use as game mechanics. I haven’t played the game yet but I do not like half done mechanics and would find it a lot more straight forward to just allow takeover of units. On the other hand if teleportation would be a thing I’d would expect that my character is indeed unique and can also die. Secondly that research will be something that doesn’t feel like it serves a single purpose in this game world.

koyuka
x3

Post by koyuka » Wed, 13. Dec 17, 15:56

All I wish for is a ship designer built into the game, all based around a races personality, so argon ships would look like an argon ship. But you could tailor that ships shields, cargo hold, speed, weapon slots etc the better the specs the larger the price obviously. But this would be soo soo good.

Also if you bring back the boron, they had the most beautiful ships yet the worst stats. At least make them have bio hulls that regen for free over time and I will forgive you :lol:

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Wed, 13. Dec 17, 17:28

Teleportation device... doesnt matter how unrealistic it is.
What is way more important is that this technology and usage within the sci-fantasy world is consistent.
It makes no sense that it can only transport "the player". If it works on humans and aliens it will work just as well for any organic object and anorganic object (at least those elements that are already in and on the human body).

Seeing as it is so compact and so cheap that every ship is designed to have one installed - why do they still have ships, and why do you have to research it - the ships are already designed for its use after all? They could just teleport all the wares that are not much larger than humans/ aliens. Limiting it to just players is arbitrary and game-cliche/ silly game-logic. Not immersive at all.
Last edited by Killjaeden on Wed, 13. Dec 17, 21:38, edited 3 times in total.
[ external image ]
X-Tended TC Mod Team Veteran.
Modeller of X3AP Split Acinonyx, Split Drake, Argon Lotan, Teladi Tern. My current work:

Raxiel
x4

Post by Raxiel » Wed, 13. Dec 17, 21:07

I think that instead of teleprotation they should use some kind of telepresence, and it should require an allied station or capital ship as a relay in case the target ship/station is too far away.

caleb
x3tc

Post by caleb » Wed, 20. Dec 17, 17:40

Raxiel wrote:I think that instead of teleprotation they should use some kind of telepresence, and it should require an allied station or capital ship as a relay in case the target ship/station is too far away.
I would prefer this as well. We can do remote control now with our puny human civilization, so a space faring civilization should have 0 problems there. Also, would help a lot with the game funny-tastic AI, and players can take more risks.

As far as realism? pff... It's a game, we can have magic and elves for all I care. As long as they fit in the game, I'm fine with it. So teleportation is nothing really.

Return to “X4: Foundations”