Lino, how about some X4 graphic specials?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Tue, 12. Dec 17, 10:22

If star trek and starwars does grey well then so can stuff in x4. Lol.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Tue, 12. Dec 17, 15:07

Nanook wrote:
Skeeter wrote:...Mainly to get ships and stations more battleship grey colored really.
While battleship gray is an appropriate camoflage color for ocean-going ships, black is a much better color for combat spaceships. :wink:
As if spaceships have to solely rely on visual detection by humans. And for anything the requires speed, acceleration and maneuverability no color is the best color. For RL airplane speed records they strip the paint...
Imagine the weight of paint that would have to be spent in order to color a star destroyer - let alone the man hours.
[ external image ]
X-Tended TC Mod Team Veteran.
Modeller of X3AP Split Acinonyx, Split Drake, Argon Lotan, Teladi Tern. My current work:

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 12. Dec 17, 21:30

Killjaeden wrote:
Nanook wrote:
Skeeter wrote:...Mainly to get ships and stations more battleship grey colored really.
While battleship gray is an appropriate camoflage color for ocean-going ships, black is a much better color for combat spaceships. :wink:
As if spaceships have to solely rely on visual detection by humans...
Stealth planes are painted black, too, you know. That's the color of the radar absorbing material. So, a radar-absorbing paint on a spaceship, coupled with a proper energy management system (going dark) would leave just visual detection as the only way to detect a spaceship. If that spaceship is then painted black, it would be next to impossible to detect. And who says the visual inspection has to be done by humans? :P
And for anything the requires speed, acceleration and maneuverability no color is the best color. For RL airplane speed records they strip the paint.

Imagine the weight of paint that would have to be spent in order to color a star destroyer - let alone the man hours.

Really, you're worrying about the weight of a thin layer of paint on ships that probably have meters-thick armor? Besides, this discussion was about gray vs black. I doubt gray paint would weigh any more than black paint. :P
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Tue, 12. Dec 17, 23:32

Nanook wrote:Stealth planes are painted black, too, you know. That's the color of the radar absorbing material. So, a radar-absorbing paint on a spaceship, coupled with a proper energy management system (going dark) would leave just visual detection as the only way to detect a spaceship. If that spaceship is then painted black, it would be next to impossible to detect.
Next to impossible to detect for a 1990 iraqi AA gunner at night maybe. Cold war era stealth planes where black.
As soon as something uses something more "sophisticated" (IR sensor) or something scifi (gravimeter), a combination of everything, or plain simply just another radar frequency which isn't affected as much by the absorber material and the stealth planes shape, the choice of "camoflage color" matters little.
[ external image ]
Modeller of X3AP Split Acinonyx, Split Drake, Argon Lotan, Teladi Tern. My current work:

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Tue, 12. Dec 17, 23:35

You say not to worry about thin paint but imagine how many gallons of the stuff you need to coat it and the cost of it and the cost and man hours to apply it. So theres very good reasons for ships not to be painted and if ur on about stealth planes, ud think future spaceships would need paint to hide when a technology like a cloaking device would be probably used or a sensor scrambler etc. Painting spaceships tbh is unrealistic, the only reason games/film do it is for visual impact thinking the public wants flashy coloured ships etc when in reality they would never be painted as its totally useless and a waste.
[ external image ]

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Wed, 13. Dec 17, 23:24

Talking about ship design... after seeing the latest stream and ships i couldnt get the image out of my head...
The cockpits of the combat ships look like goldfish bowls attached to a stump of a body :/

And my fear/prejudice about the Ship class beeing able to dock its smaller class... has unfortunately been confirmed.
The ship with the full sized, walkable dock platform (osprey?) you showed just shows this. It looks off, because the size difference between the classes is not large enough. It looks like it's purpose is to be a car garage with wheels or helicopter pad with rotary wing essentially or naval dock with 1 pier that floats - goofy and pointless. It would be much better if ships with docking tube system (ala airplane dock https://www.featurepics.com/StockImage/ ... 334868.jpg to transfer personal and some clamp or whatever to hold it in place. This way not 70% of the bodies volumen and proportion is dictated by a secondary utility function.
[ external image ]

DaMuncha
x4

Post by DaMuncha » Thu, 14. Dec 17, 09:07

Killjaeden wrote:Talking about ship design... after seeing the latest stream and ships i couldnt get the image out of my head...
The cockpits of the combat ships look like goldfish bowls attached to a stump of a body :/.
And you just figured out how can can put Boron in the game. Just turn the Fish bowl cockpit into .. a fishbowl, with a boron inside it.

How can they make Boron walk on space stations? Boron Hamster Balls!

spacecoyote99
x4

Post by spacecoyote99 » Thu, 14. Dec 17, 10:11

Skeeter wrote:Painting spaceships tbh is unrealistic, the only reason games/film do it is for visual impact thinking the public wants flashy coloured ships etc when in reality they would never be painted as its totally useless and a waste.
Speaking as one of the public, if I were in the market for a space ship I'd definitely go for one with cool red stripes rather than a gray box. You may not see the colors out in space but you sure can see them on the docking platform.

As for man hours, cars aren't painted by hand in the factory any more either. And even if it's many gallons of paint, I'd think the cost would be a drop (of paint) in the bucket compared to propulsion, navigation, let alone weapons systems.

JSDD
x3tc

Post by JSDD » Thu, 14. Dec 17, 11:22

linolafett wrote:Big changes from xr to x4:
-change to a "pbr" physicially based rendering
-change to a deferred renderer
-change to vulkan
the second and third one are things an artist doesnt have to bother with anyway, that's just for the programmer. 2nd is just a technique, it creates a "g-buffer" (g for geometry), uses multiple layers of textures (material properties, HDR light info maybe, geometry, that is position+normal of rendered polygons), in a "deferred" step it shades the the scene using these textures (or framebuffer "layers"), avoiding the necessity to shade covered fragments with complicated lighing algorithms (as in "forward rendering"), .. nothing that matters to an artist ... the 3rd is just the graphics API (api = application programming interface), again something that doesnt matter to an artist, or is there a difference for you if egosoft would say: "now we decided to use direct3D / openGL" to do graphics .. ? you just have to provide meshes and materials + textures which (sometimes) have a certain "convention" about the color channels (rgba and their "meaning") of the different texture types, that's it.

BurnIt! wrote:Colour schemes are always a controversial topic, it's a difficult balance to strike. Tastes are different and where one person likes a look borderlining on greyscale another wants something more bright and lively.
but since you are now going "pbr", why are you botherig AT ALL with the color sceme ? what i'd do is prepare 1 set of realistic materials we all know from the real world ...

--> chrome
--> rubber
--> some PE stuff
--> glass
--> glowing plasma stuff
--> .. you know what ...
--> roughness in different levels
(separated from the other material properties)

... and re-use them all the time when creating new or modifying content ?

for example:
--> argon ship hull, metallic (maybe "black-ish" painted), rough
--> split ship hull, rusty metallic, very rough
--> skin of characters: something smooth, non-shiny
--> interior: metallic smooth, some rubber in-between etc ..

in the post-processing of the scene (for the programmer, not the artist!!), the player could have some choices between gray scale / glowing / shininess / etc pp, so that everyone can adjust the graphics to personal preferences ... and for the modders, the possibility to change these materials (of course! ;)) .. besides the fact that creating custom content should be supported in the final game, otherwise we rely on the limited number of artsts at egosoft for new content
To err is human. To really foul things up you need a computer.
Irren ist menschlich. Aber wenn man richtig Fehler machen will, braucht man einen Computer.

Mission Director Beispiele

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Thu, 14. Dec 17, 11:40

JSDD wrote:but since you are now going "pbr", why are you botherig AT ALL with the color sceme ? what i'd do is prepare 1 set of realistic materials we all know from the real world ...

--> chrome
--> rubber
--> some PE stuff
--> glass
--> glowing plasma stuff
--> .. you know what ...
--> roughness in different levels
(separated from the other material properties)

... and re-use them all the time when creating new or modifying content ?

for example:
--> argon ship hull, metallic (maybe "black-ish" painted), rough
--> split ship hull, rusty metallic, very rough
--> skin of characters: something smooth, non-shiny
--> interior: metallic smooth, some rubber in-between etc ..
Then you have base colors, but no texture. Textures still need to be created from this. Yes there are methods to do it half-procedurally (unity/UE can use substance designer materials with exposed parameters for tweaking ) but i doubt this is in the scope of Egosofts art team.
Multimat texture sets do need more than just base colors or base textures. They need greeble and other things to make ships look more detailed than they actually are in terms of the mesh .
[ external image ]

Commander_K
x4

Post by Commander_K » Thu, 14. Dec 17, 11:57

JSDD wrote:but since you are now going "pbr", why are you botherig AT ALL with the color sceme ? what i'd do is prepare 1 set of realistic materials we all know from the real world ...
The artist still need to decide, if they want neon green rubber or brown leather on a chair for example. Or how many glowing pink stripes should be on the ship.
JSDD wrote:in the post-processing of the scene (for the programmer, not the artist!!), the player could have some choices between gray scale / glowing / shininess / etc pp, so that everyone can adjust the graphics to personal preferences ... and for the modders, the possibility to change these materials (of course! ;)) .. besides the fact that creating custom content should be supported in the final game, otherwise we rely on the limited number of artsts at egosoft for new content
As far as I understood from the last stream, that's exactly what is happening with the color correction.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Thu, 14. Dec 17, 12:31

Don't forget egosoft usually outsource alot of their art to other companies due to lack of personal. Things like ships, stations and character models. I think egosoft does the designs with concept art then it's passed to the other company. Tho I'm sure a few things are done in house as I remember they did alot of work on capships for rebirth iirc as a video showed and explained they had to redo it a number of times to get the right design and I'm sure lino is one of their artists as he showed making things a few times.
[ external image ]

Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by Santi » Fri, 15. Dec 17, 00:54

I am pretty sure it is the other way around, for X Rebirth I remember they hired some famous sci-fi artist to do the concepts and then the in house art department did the main work. For example the Xenon I if I remember correctly is Lino's baby.
A por ellos que son pocos y cobardes

linolafett
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by linolafett » Mon, 18. Dec 17, 15:31

All ships are currently done inhouse, as the requirements and setup are complex enough, that it creates too much overhead to be effective to be useful.

Most stationparts went through outsourcing, rather few of those are done inhouse (edit: aside of the blockouts, they are all done by us).
01001100 01101001 01101110 01100101 01110011 00100000 01101111 01100110 00100000 01110100 01101001 01101101 01100101 01110011 00101110 00101110 00101110

My art stuff

Lc4Hunter
x4

Post by Lc4Hunter » Mon, 18. Dec 17, 23:15

Any Chance to get this thing (back) into business, Lino?

Would love to see the good old Titan back ingame, hehe ;)
Polycount should be ok for ingame usage i think.

[ external image ]

csaba
x4

Post by csaba » Mon, 18. Dec 17, 23:50

Lc4Hunter wrote:Any Chance to get this thing (back) into business, Lino?

Would love to see the good old Titan back ingame, hehe ;)
Polycount should be ok for ingame usage i think.

[ external image ]
I always wondered about that. Came to the conclusion that it looked too much like Starship Troopers spaceships and Egosoft tried to avoid copyright issues later on since in X3R Argon capitals turned into... well... bricks.... so it was suspicious. Although the Taranis does regain some of it's front features in XR without the iconic 4 way thrusters, you can't deny the resemblance.

On a somewhat similair note. The Discoverer looks kinda weird now. While I liked most of the new designs sofar that one stood out as way to unrealistic. I know there is know air in space but those new forward wing things look stupid and having an aerodynamic profile that would be even affected in the thin gasclouds in space.... I quite liked the X2 and X3 versions but this one is just plain ugly. :(

Lc4Hunter
x4

Post by Lc4Hunter » Tue, 19. Dec 17, 08:55

Well, i don´t think there is too much similarity to the Roger Young except the X-engines. The wohle body is totally different. Don´t understand why people did the comparison.
If you do this you can also say that the Titan´s engines were copied from a Babylon5 Starfury and so on...

I can see more similarity between the Galactica and the Arawn but why not? I think this is more a tribute than a copy. :)

linolafett
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by linolafett » Tue, 19. Dec 17, 09:54

Ship/surface elements and docks dimensions shape the ships massively in x4, so a copy of old designs is difficult to borderline impossible.
The titan design is not carried over.
01001100 01101001 01101110 01100101 01110011 00100000 01101111 01100110 00100000 01110100 01101001 01101101 01100101 01110011 00101110 00101110 00101110

My art stuff

Lc4Hunter
x4

Post by Lc4Hunter » Tue, 19. Dec 17, 11:22

linolafett wrote:Ship/surface elements and docks dimensions shape the ships massively in x4, so a copy of old designs is difficult to borderline impossible.
So i hope there will be some good modding tool allowing us to find a way to get this thing back into business.

JSDD
x3tc

Post by JSDD » Tue, 19. Dec 17, 12:14

linolafett wrote:Ship/surface elements and docks dimensions shape the ships massively in x4, so a copy of old designs is difficult to borderline impossible.
are there special requirements for ship models that can be included to X4 ? multiple mesh LODs for example (how many), or the scene's structure (node types) ? maximum element count per mesh (ushort or uint) ? any recommendations ? we assume that all models need to have a properly designed interior, do the meshes visible from within have to separated from the outer meshes (ship hull) ? and what's the scale of the dimensions (meter or mm) ? how big are the usual docking port dimensions for each class (s m l xl etc) ?
To err is human. To really foul things up you need a computer.
Irren ist menschlich. Aber wenn man richtig Fehler machen will, braucht man einen Computer.

Mission Director Beispiele

Return to “X4: Foundations”