Ranty McRant Thread 2

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sun, 17. Jun 18, 04:02

radcapricorn wrote:Let me clear things up a bit then: knowingly driving an unsafe vehicle is in the same league as cooking your meatloaf or whatever when your home reeks of gas. Look, "duh, no un told me I couldn't just turn on cruz control and go sleep" is a very, very bad excuse, right there with "oh, they told me it was fine". Once again, you don't need to be an expert in everything, you just have to do that due diligence you mentioned. That's it.

If Morkonan was complaining about hairline fracture in suspension, some obscure faults in cylinders, brakes pissing fluid ever so slightly, I wouldn't even raise the objection. His complaint though is that the dealership took him for a ride, and it took years to find out, and from someone else at that. All the while it was his reponsibility to routinely check the darn things in the first place (that is, since the moment they were installed).
You have no idea what you're talking about.

You did not see those tires. The only indication was a slight separation line around the entire rim of tread, so uniform and on each tire that it looked like a design feature. The treads, themselves, were fine. The tire performance was fine. They simply would not pass state inspection, end of story.

The reason people try to cheat you by relying on your trust is that it is a very successful strategy - It works.

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Sun, 17. Jun 18, 04:24

Morkonan wrote: You have no idea what you're talking about.
I would, if you wrote about it. You didn't. What you did write is that you were given, free of charge, "new" tires, didn't use them for "a couple" of years, and then someone else told you they were bad. That's it. Only now all of a sudden it's
The only indication was a slight separation line around the entire rim of tread, so uniform and on each tire that it looked like a design feature. The treads, themselves, were fine. The tire performance was fine.
Cool. Why didn't you mention that before? And don't you think at all the damage couldn't have been caused by you storing them for "a couple" of years? Even a bit?
They simply would not pass state inspection, end of story.
..."a couple" of years after installation. Even if you didn't drive during that time at all, this is enough to not automatically assume dealership cheating or whatever you want to call it.
The reason people try to cheat you by relying on your trust is that it is a very successful strategy - It works.
I guess by "cheat" you mean they pretended of being nice while actually being dicks? If you actually read my replies to other protestors here, you'd see my view on that.

Thing is, now it's too late to find out how the tires really came to be that way. Bottom line is, contrary to the saying, you should look gifted horse in the mouth. Yet you didn't. Years later, you regret not being able to "bitch at the dealership", as in you're certain it was "their" fault. Why, once again you didn't specify. But it's soooo easy and convenient to say it was "them".

Bad things always come up right before some inspection, don't they? I suppose all that time before that they just don't exist, right?

And thanks for that Braille, but I'd prefer common courtesy. Я Вам по-русски ничего, кроме этого не писал, так ведь? If that's your oh so subtle attempt to, uh, "gauge" my eyesight or comprehension, I'd remind you that we can't read that what hasn't been written. Unless we know each other really well, which we don't.

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Sun, 17. Jun 18, 14:26

@ Morkonan

A cogent and well put retort. However, not to be TEDIOUSLY supercritical, " tell = myf4 ,i _h". Souldn't that be " tell = myf4 ,i _g" (?). Really! :D
The answer to life, the universe and everything:
MIND THE GAP

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sun, 17. Jun 18, 20:33

radcapricorn wrote:...If that's your oh so subtle attempt to, uh, "gauge" my eyesight or comprehension, I'd remind you that we can't read that what hasn't been written. Unless we know each other really well, which we don't.
It was in response to your insult.

And, what is up with you? Why are you going overboard in criticism my "rant," trying to find any possible way to lay the blame squarely on my shoulders, coming up with assumed scenarios that only support your continued quips and criticism?

It was a rant, dude. Get over it. Rest assured I have bought and inspected, for myself, many sets of tires on many different vehicles. I, as anyone would, trusted the word of the general manager of the dealership that had, over a period longer than 50 years, honestly serving, very closely, members of my family. The events surrounding that initial receipt of "new tires" took place when I was heading out of town on an important trip. I had to pull over about 3/4 of an hour's drive out of town, get towed to the dealership, negotiate the problem, wait a day to get back on the road, and then get to where I needed to go. Expediency was my major concern. During this time I was in intimate contact with the GM and their insurance representative, both assuring me that they would take care of this issue appropriately and to my satisfaction.

Anyway, I'm not going to explain anything else to you. If you wish to just rant about my rant, you are very welcome to, as that's what this thread is for.

But, stop it with the insulting comments, OK? I'm ranting about someone who took advantage of me, which can not be denied no matter how inept a picture you wish to paint of me. There's no call for further insults and quips directed at me. If you have a personal problem with me, send me a PM and insult me there. We can talk about whatever it is and straighten it out.

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Sun, 17. Jun 18, 21:06

Oh wow, you even found an insult there somewhere? That's just... I'm not even sure what to say at this point then.

I'm not "trying to find any possible way to lay the blame squarely on your shoulders, coming up with assumed scenarios that only support my continued quips and criticism".
Any assumptions I've made are a direct result of you omitting inconvenient details, that's all. As for blame... "I'm ranting about someone who took advantage of me" - exactly. Unfortunately:
a) You don't know that.
b) You assume they did, but make it out to be the only possible situation.
c) If the didn't, what then?..
My point was, and still is, that you went overboard with blaming the dealership, not even acknowledging that there could've been any other reason for the whole shebang to happen. I'm very sorry if you find this insulting, but if you're going to rant, be ready if someone points out a flaw in your reasoning.
Anything further was just debating irrelevant points with someone else, again, because we had no idea what the "bad tires" actually meant.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 17. Jun 18, 21:26

OK, please both just stop and move on now. Although no doubt quite entertaining to spectators, this personal dispute is over in here.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Sun, 17. Jun 18, 21:50

Sat in the outside seating area of a Starbucks yesterday in Milton Keynes, and failing entirely to enjoy a latte that tasted entirely of burnt coffee beans. My step daughter brightened my day somewhat by pointing at a sparrow that was feasting on a dropped bit of muffin and saying 'look, a hedgerow-sexual sparrow'.

Well, it amused me.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Sun, 17. Jun 18, 23:08

Why are adult university students at the end of a session not able to wait till whoever is speaking finished what they are saying before packing their bags? It is rude and annoying.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Mon, 18. Jun 18, 00:35

@clakclak

Depends on the speaker I'd guess, but I get you.
MIND THE GAP

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Mon, 18. Jun 18, 11:02

clakclak wrote:Why are adult university students at the end of a session not able to wait till whoever is speaking finished what they are saying before packing their bags? It is rude and annoying.
They're not adults, it's that simple. Just because the law say's they are doesn't sprinkle some magic adult dust on them.

Why do my students talk in my lectures?

Or stare at their phones right in front of me?

The talking I deal with now by just stopping the lecture and standing there looking at them. Then the only noise in the room is them talking. It's astonishing how quickly that works. Asking them to stop talking on the other hand neverv works, because they've had years of experience succesfully ignoring that at school.

The phone thing I just don't care about any more as long as they don't involve anyone else, if they want to waste their time in my class it's up to them. But I won't help them catch up with everything in the last week when theyt realise what a cockup they made of my module.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Mon, 18. Jun 18, 13:09

@ mrbadger

I have a friend that asked me: "How do you build a faraday cage?"
If cell phone jammers are as illegal in the UK as they are here
then think passive. Yes he was talking about his section's lecture hall. I looked at the situation and told him why it wasn't feable THERE, but the EE department is working with him now to cobble something together on a smaller scale and the idea is catching on in other departments.
MIND THE GAP

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Mon, 18. Jun 18, 13:17

mrbadger wrote:
clakclak wrote:Why are adult university students at the end of a session not able to wait till whoever is speaking finished what they are saying before packing their bags? It is rude and annoying.
They're not adults, it's that simple. Just because the law say's they are doesn't sprinkle some magic adult dust on them.

[...]
Mate, they are adults. The average age in my course is around 27-28. Quite a few are former soldiers who did their 13 years with the German army. Many have children, many are married.

Edit: There are also many people who do "Studium im Alter", those I didn't factor in the average age. They are in their late 60s, early 70s and they also do the same.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Mon, 18. Jun 18, 14:37

Since when has being in your twenties suddenly meant your an adult if you still behave like that?

I'd stop the class ten minutes earlier next time and tell them it was because they all started packing up to leave and I have no interest in teaching or talking over people who doing that.

I have stopped classes when people have been messing about. In the past I have simply ended the lesson and walked out. I have done that one time, and I had no repeat of the behaviour that caused me to do it in the following weeks.

I won't bargain with my students to get them to behave. I tell them at the beginning of the module what I expect. If I don't get it, they don't get taught.

Too many lecturers won't do this, but I do.

I'm known as a strict lecturer, but also a good one, because I get good results from good students, and help stuggling students acheive their potential.

Students who piss about on the other hand get nothing but trouble from me, because they see me as a problem lecturer who won't just leave them alone to mess about and disrupt my class.

Typically they stop turning up. I always have what I refer to as a simple route to passing my module (that's a nicer term that I sometimes use), that they can just about manage if they try real hard and scrape 40%.

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Mon, 18. Jun 18, 15:00

@ mrbadger

And here's something to build up a REALLY good rant towards:
Those fellows that firmly believe that the days of LIVE lectures are over. They proport that only recorded lectures the student can delve into at their own pace are the proper "modern" method. I had though that "self paced learning" was a proven failure, but these proponents always point out the system failed because the technology's weren't up to the task.... :? Some of these "luminaries" go so far as to say the only campus with a future is online. Care to comment on what kind of (or utter lack of) social skills that would engender? Frankly I think it's so much hogwash covering the fact that the "new breed" just can't teach. They seem to grasp at anything that would tend to rationalize their shortfalls as being the fault of the methodology and blow off the fact that their attention spans are on a par with the students. Really I'm of the opinion that most state colleges and universities in the US have became no better than an extention of high schools. With no greater expectations for either students or faculty.
MIND THE GAP

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Mon, 18. Jun 18, 15:16

mrbadger wrote:Since when has being in your twenties suddenly meant your an adult if you still behave like that?
[...]
Well I guess if anyone who ever did something stupid, rude or childish can not be considered an adult, than there are no adults and the word is meaningless.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Mon, 18. Jun 18, 15:20

Online teaching has it's place, and I am including that increasingly in my own work, but you cannot remove the classroom element if you want to really reach your students.

Well you can, but only for those students who are totally convinced they can teach themselves.

In reality very few can. I was of of the few who could, and I adored lectures and workshops, even if all I used them for was to discuss points with lecturers and get pointers on where to go next. I would have hated studying an online degree, and they were available, I didn't do my undergrad degree till 2000.

Most students who think they can end up failing to learn at all. You need someone like me to direct your studies. I have had some students like myself, who also treated lectures like resourses, they didn't need to be there, but came anyway, most of the time. But they always turned in great work, so I never complained about non attendance.

They differ from me in that I only missed one lecture in my entire time at university because I was ill (and the lecturer discussed a vision algorithm I wrote, so I bitterly regret it), but they're not me.

I only got strict when they became my final year project students, at which point 100% attendance was required unless notification in advance was given.
Last edited by mrbadger on Mon, 18. Jun 18, 15:20, edited 1 time in total.

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Mon, 18. Jun 18, 15:20

@ clakclak

Somewhat proven by the present US government showing the collective maturity of grade schoolers.

@ mrbadger

"A student without a mentor is a ship without a rudder and compass"
Last edited by Hank001 on Mon, 18. Jun 18, 15:23, edited 1 time in total.
MIND THE GAP

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Mon, 18. Jun 18, 15:21

clakclak wrote:
mrbadger wrote:Since when has being in your twenties suddenly meant your an adult if you still behave like that?
[...]
Well I guess if anyone who ever did something stupid, rude or childish can not be considered an adult, than there are no adults and the word is meaningless.
Do you know my wife?

Anyway, maturity is the word you're looking for, and acting mature is something people need to learn to do in situations that make them feel uncomfortable, like learning.

Whereas mashing up my granola into my yoghurt may not be mature, but I'll darned well do it because I want to :P

It is at least low suger home made granola

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 18. Jun 18, 16:07

On student in-class behavior, including jabbering, texting, twitting and ipwning...

Sure, cell-phone jammers can be illegal and Faraday cages a bit impractical, but what ever happened to the failing grade, a "zero for the day" or just kicking them out of the class for being disruptive, inattentive or just being jerks?

In real life, if they act like this during their boss's presentation at yet-another-weekly-team-meeting-you-coulda-just-emailed-me-about they'd get fired. Or, at the very least, get chewed out and written up.

Is there something I'm missing that makes it seems like professors just have to suck it up these days and "deal with it?" Back when I was in college, if you did something the prof had called people out on or had definite rule about, you'd be "asked to leave" at the best. Granted, we didn't have many cellphoe issues back then, but we had the same sorts of other issues.

So, what are the pressures that profs are up against when they don't seem to be applying the standard "hit it with a hammer" approach to student discipline issues in class?

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Mon, 18. Jun 18, 16:54

mrbadger wrote:
clakclak wrote:
[...]
Do you know my wife?
[...]
There is a joke here, but it's to lowbrow even for me. :lol:
Morkonan wrote:On student in-class behavior, including jabbering, texting, twitting and ipwning...

Sure, cell-phone jammers can be illegal and Faraday cages a bit impractical, but what ever happened to the failing grade, a "zero for the day" or just kicking them out of the class for being disruptive, inattentive or just being jerks?

In real life, if they act like this during their boss's presentation at yet-another-weekly-team-meeting-you-coulda-just-emailed-me-about they'd get fired. Or, at the very least, get chewed out and written up.[...]
Difference being that if they are employees their boss pays them and from all I have heard about colleges in the US the situation is quite the opposite here.

Return to “Off Topic English”