What kind of color scheme do you prefer?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

What kind of graphics do you prefer?

Realistic (not very colorful but feels like real space)
41%
Semi-realistic (balanced between realistic and fantasy-like)
48%
Fantasy-like (lot of appealing colors)
11%

Total votes: 56

schedarx
x3ap

What kind of color scheme do you prefer?

Post by schedarx » Tue, 12. Dec 17, 22:06

Pick which one suits you best.

ZaphodBeeblebrox
x4

Post by ZaphodBeeblebrox » Tue, 12. Dec 17, 22:21

None of the above
It was a woman who drove me to drink... you know I never went back and thanked her.

Don't try to outweird me, three-eyes. I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 12. Dec 17, 22:54

There are at least two different issues at play here.

The first is what textures the modeller/graphics artist selects; ie whether using multiple texture and hue combinations, or using more discrete schemes looking perhaps more uniform and homogenous.

The next is the degree of colour correction, saturation control, etc that is offered in-game. Egosoft have said that there will be an element of user control in this area in X4.

Given a measure of control over the latter, I expect your question is really about the former. See this post and thread for a view on all this.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Tue, 12. Dec 17, 23:25

For a space game id always pick realistic and no to fantasy called gfx i.e full of colours. Mainly as i grew up watching space shows and films like star trek, starwars, BSG etc which kept colours to a minimum and mainly used it to either seperate race design looks or just keep it to the few decals but rest of the ship is grey i.e no paint and just bare panels. One exception to the rule for me is homeworld games, there very colourful but its a rts game with pure fleets, it might be cooler if they didnt use all the colours but since its a rts and u usually zoomed out enough u dont mind as much but for first person style space games yeah id prefere the natural look if possible.

But thats me.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Tue, 12. Dec 17, 23:46

I like the idea of the "color correction" that X4 will have, but I hope there is a way to specify which category of object it will affect. For example, I may want less saturated spaceships and stations, but leave planets and asteroids at 'normal' colorful setting.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Tue, 12. Dec 17, 23:50

If its not in at launch maybe a modder who knows how to make shaders can try doing what some of us are hoping to do like have certain objects be corrected while some things arnt touched. Providing shaders are moddable and them shaders which ego are using to do the desaturation effects are decrypted and modifyable.

Saying that tho, since x4 is still in alpha and not feature locked, they might listen and add a few extra options like whats been asked for if not too much time to make/modify.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

Fedora01
x4

Post by Fedora01 » Wed, 13. Dec 17, 06:24

I've always liked muted blacks/greys/whites combined with more popping colors (I.E. like Halo: Reach's color palette), just my 5 cents into this topic. :)
In space no-one can hear you scream unless you're transmitting on the right radio frequency.

It was about this time I realized I might have too many tabs open.

ZaphodBeeblebrox
x4

Post by ZaphodBeeblebrox » Wed, 13. Dec 17, 07:44

There is a point in one of the previous live streams where they show a close up of a Xenon N. Take a good look at that.

It looks dirty, parts seem to have peeling paint and corrosion.

To me this look is great. A grungy Xenon fighter. Its been out in space a while and the surfaces are degrading in the harsh radiation.
It was a woman who drove me to drink... you know I never went back and thanked her.

Don't try to outweird me, three-eyes. I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

DavidGW
x4

Post by DavidGW » Wed, 13. Dec 17, 12:27

Personally, I just want to see some variety.

Nothing wrong with some glitzy colourful New New Vegas In Space sectors. But it would be nice if there were also some brutally dull (i.e. realistic) sectors to contrast the styles.

I don't really like the idea of the colour filter, because it appears like it's just going to mute all the colours, instead of limiting their use (or overuse).

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Wed, 13. Dec 17, 14:42

I like it colourful with the option to tone it down to the level I like rather then grey without the option to make it more colourful.

Besides that, XR already had a colour filter for different sectors and I hated grey in grey Albion. While grey is "neat", it becomes boring like a grey rainy day. I like it colourful :D

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

ezra-r
x4

Post by ezra-r » Wed, 13. Dec 17, 16:08

Aside from more or less saturated or vibrant colors I'd like the textures look more realistic in general in certain aspects.

I recall mentioning before but I will say it again, I don't like the "handrail" textures abused in XR stations. They look crappy, weak and not realistic at all worsening a good station looks. Everything that resembles something solid should look like a really solid object.

Color or taint become kind of secondary when certain objects look crappy nonetheless.

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Wed, 13. Dec 17, 17:38

Let's not forget that color is not the only thing that defines art style. There is a difference between color and texture. A white garbage truck IRL looks different to a white cartoon garbage truck. Cartoon colors are mostly flat (or a simple gradient). A real garbage truck would be full of subtle color variations, discoloration, damage and dirt.

And as already mentioned elsewhere - color scheme and colorpalette is extremely important as well. Having bright colors can look super awesome as well, if it's chosen very well. What ive seen so far in X4 presentations i saw none of that. Everything had a different color applied wholesome. Makes it look like some kid built something out of his big crate of lego bricks without trying to match colors. Just looks awefull.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 13. Dec 17, 18:40

Egosoft already show in previous stream that you can select "universe color" in X4 game options - if someone like bright it can be set, if someone like dark it can be also.

[FFCW]Urizen
x4

Post by [FFCW]Urizen » Wed, 13. Dec 17, 19:54

Killjaeden wrote:Everything had a different color applied wholesome. Makes it look like some kid built something out of his big crate of lego bricks without trying to match colors. Just looks awefull.
In the few cases I saw that happen, that looked more like placeholders than the final product. Just my 2c.
Insanity is just another form of brilliance!

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Wed, 13. Dec 17, 21:24

[FFCW]Urizen wrote:In the few cases I saw that happen, that looked more like placeholders than the final product. Just my 2c.
Some of it, possibly. But certainly not everything.
e.g. here https://www.egosoft.com/games/x4/screen ... en_022.png you can see red blue and green all on the same station... it just doesnt look good (esp. not with colored environment lighting added to that)

But then there is also the other aspect of it. Check out the stream from today, where he exits the ship (ganymed or osprey?) with the hangar platform on top. The entry/exit doorway is bright green colored/lit, the hangar platform is covered with pure red lighting and pure red blinking "lights" (which are just boxes that change color to base red, which just look as if they'd come straight from X3 in terms of graphic technology

It would look much better if the station (and ships) used consistent highlight color (e.g. red) all across their surface. It would even allow ES to implement a color choice (RGB) so not only could you pick player logo, but also your highlight color - somewhat similar to X3 ship coloring, but better. And allow to distinguish different corporations/factions by color as well.

Latest stream showed less of "splatoon"-syndrome (with exception of the mentioned hangar platform), which is positive. Although they might have simply chosen to not show the more colored stuff they consider final so we stop complaining and eat our hype pills instead. :goner:
[ external image ]
X-Tended TC Mod Team Veteran.
Modeller of X3AP Split Acinonyx, Split Drake, Argon Lotan, Teladi Tern. My current work:

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Wed, 13. Dec 17, 22:11

I like colourful, plenty of bright colours on things, but with plenty of variety, so some sectors should be realistic/boring looking. But I dont think that colourful = 'fantasy' so I wont vote for that option :p
Rebirth did the styles I mentioned quite well to be honest, im hoping for more of the same, but more variety and better ship designs like in x3. I dont like the idea of colour palettes at all, I dont think they are the right way to do it so I hope that the default option fulfills my taste.

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Wed, 13. Dec 17, 23:51

Axeface wrote:I like colourful, plenty of bright colours on things, but with plenty of variety, so some sectors should be realistic/boring looking. But I dont think that colourful = 'fantasy' so I wont vote for that option :p
Rebirth did the styles I mentioned quite well to be honest, im hoping for more of the same, but more variety and better ship designs like in x3. I dont like the idea of colour palettes at all, I dont think they are the right way to do it so I hope that the default option fulfills my taste.
Color palette per asset, not all across the entire game. X3 already had a color palette by through the races hull textures. Imagine that but with decorative elements added to it that share a configurable color (per asset). That doesnt mean there are no other colors. Tech greeble textures could still have different looking stuff in it.
For anyone who doesnt remember - argon: metal hull with dark red decorative elements, teladi metal hull with yellow decorative elements, paranids also metal hull with yellow strips (but cleaner), boron ... just green in smooth and organic form, split rust brown metal hull with dark grey and orange strips.
[ external image ]
X-Tended TC Mod Team Veteran.
Modeller of X3AP Split Acinonyx, Split Drake, Argon Lotan, Teladi Tern. My current work:

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Thu, 14. Dec 17, 00:56

I used the wrong word yeh, I meant the post overlays they are adding in. Not sure what to call them.

ALien8ed
x4

Post by ALien8ed » Thu, 14. Dec 17, 09:00

Realistic all the way for me.

I just hope we get great lighting combined with hires textures to tie it all together. Just do it Egosoft, you know you want to... :wink:

Really like the addition of colour correction, props to Egosoft for including this option so each player can choose the look they prefer.

Thrake
x3ap

Post by Thrake » Thu, 14. Dec 17, 15:27

Why is it realistic to have all sips being grey? If I go on a highway, all trucks are colourful... Military is a different story but corporations should all want to have bright color themed with the feel the company wants to give, even more so on a capital ship. That's supposed to represent the success of the company, and you don't want that success to be as boring as grey and invisible in the background.

So if anything, there's nothing realistic in all grey or a variety of its shades. In this reguard, boron look is the most appealing to me.

Return to “X4: Foundations”