Star Wars - The Last Jedi (may contain spoilers)

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Wed, 24. Jan 18, 14:17

Am I likely to be shot if I say that I LOVED the special edition releases?

(I wasn't too keen on Jabba in ep IV, and the re-do of Jabba's Palace Band was a miss. But I really liked much of the new effects. Plus, it was the first time I'd ever seen Star Wars in a cinema, which added to the experience a lot.)
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Wed, 24. Jan 18, 15:16

Usenko wrote:Am I likely to be shot if I say that I LOVED the special edition releases?

(I wasn't too keen on Jabba in ep IV, and the re-do of Jabba's Palace Band was a miss. But I really liked much of the new effects. Plus, it was the first time I'd ever seen Star Wars in a cinema, which added to the experience a lot.)
No, no you are not allowed to say that.

Go stand in the corner you silly deluded person you.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Wed, 24. Jan 18, 15:32

I've never seen the "original".

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Wed, 24. Jan 18, 16:56

Antilogic wrote:I've never seen the "original".
I was lucky enough to see it in 1977 at the cinema.

Not that I had the slightest idea what I was going to see. All I knew is that it was a movie about space stuff. I was only 11 after all, and there wasn't the same advertising there is now.

But it blew me away. When a neighbor finally got it on video after some years I watched it over and over.

So the reworked versions bother me more probably because I know the originals so well.

I never really liked Return of the Jedi. Bits of it are good, there is some great film work and SFX in the space battles but the reworked version makes it even worse I think. Not least because they replaced an award winning space battle scene with a CGI version.

Well they replaced or augmented it, not sure which.
Whichever it was, it got changed and didn't need to be, it was great even if it wasn't perfect by modern standards. Would you CGI over a Ray Harryhausen skeleton?

I could witter for hours about Star Wars. I do all the time. it's a favorite wind down argument at work.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 24. Jan 18, 17:55

I didn't like RotJ as much as the others because it felt mostly like a retread of Episode IV but with hostile teddy bears in it. The idea that a bunch of dwarf Wookiees armed with bows and arrows and logs could take down even a modern military force on Earth is laughable, let alone people with the tech the Empire has. (I mean, the scene where two logs crush an AT-ST between them--maybe if the thing were made of tinfoil and plastic that would have worked!). Yes, it has a superb battle scene in, but so does "Attack of the Clones" and I don't think anyone is praising that as a classic. :wink:

Rapier
x3tc

Post by Rapier » Wed, 24. Jan 18, 19:26

Too young to have seen the original Star Wars in the cinema, but old enough to have watched it on Betamax! ;)

I like RotJ but I think that's as much because it was the first one I go to see properly, in a cinema. Objectively, it doesn't stack up - so I don't think of it objectively.

As much as I think it's overpriced, the cinema experience is simply better. When I buy films on disk these days they come with a digital download. I think I'd go to the cinema a lot more if that came with a (delayed) digital download included.
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Wed, 24. Jan 18, 20:14

I only go to the cinema because it comes with low lights and my wife....

We have a wall mounted telly in our room to watch streamed movies on. We don't watch live TV, we do watch stuff on Netflix, iTunes and Amazon Prime or my own collection of old stuff.

Old classic stuff mind you, no garbage in my collection. I've converted all my discs to videos.
Last edited by mrbadger on Wed, 24. Jan 18, 20:19, edited 1 time in total.

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Wed, 24. Jan 18, 20:18

@mrbadger - how would you feel about remaking Star Wars OT - a full remake, new actors...modern CGI.. but the same story.

Think the new live action Beauty and the Beast (which is great!) as an example....

Not that it will ever happen (well...Disney) and I'm not advocating for it. But I wonder if that might have gotten a better or worse response for Lucas's "true vision" then taking a cutting knife to the OT?

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Wed, 24. Jan 18, 23:38

We already hade a remake, its called The Force Awakens. :-P

Even though the question was not directed to me I would like to share what I think of remakes. Unless there is some new approach or a new way to redo it that would ADD something to it, remakes should be banned. Its a lazy cashgrab and frankly I'm sick of it. I want NEW stories or old stories told differently, remakes will just pander to nostalgia and then not quite get it, fall flat and make everyone miserable in the process, especially with movie that are still strong today.

MFG

Ketraar

apogee
x3tc

Post by apogee » Wed, 24. Jan 18, 23:40

Antilogic wrote:@mrbadger - how would you feel about remaking Star Wars OT - a full remake, new actors...modern CGI.. but the same story.
They did, it was just renamed as "The Force Awakens"... :)

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Thu, 25. Jan 18, 01:00

So original guys :P On that joke always interesting about how TFA gets a lot of moans for being too much of the same, TLJ for being too different.

Can never please anyone :)

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Thu, 25. Jan 18, 09:00

apogee wrote:
Antilogic wrote:@mrbadger - how would you feel about remaking Star Wars OT - a full remake, new actors...modern CGI.. but the same story.
They did, it was just renamed as "The Force Awakens"... :)
Exactly what I would have said, only not joking, and I didn't mind because I really enjoyed it.

An exact scene for scene remake with modern CGI though? Pointless; which is why I consider TFA to be a modern remake and not a completelly new film.

It was a wise choice. They went with a known Star Wars formula that works, and it was a real success.

TLA was different, this is true. Different is good. They've shown they can duplicate the old Star Wars, so lets see some new stuff.

Anything to finally cover the stench of the prequels.

Maybe they could remake those too, only better this time. Or should that be only good this time...

Golden_Gonads
x3tc

Post by Golden_Gonads » Thu, 25. Jan 18, 09:17

Skism wrote:It suffered the biggest sequel to sequel drop ever.

TFA: $2,058,662,225
TLJ: $1,268,302,078
Adjusted for inflation, the original Star Wars made $2.8 billion. An $800 million drop-off. Hmmmm, $800 million... That number sounds familiar...

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Thu, 25. Jan 18, 12:47

Not to me, how so?

Golden_Gonads
x3tc

Post by Golden_Gonads » Thu, 25. Jan 18, 13:13

mrbadger wrote:Not to me, how so?
Assuming thats a response to me, $800 million is the (current) drop between The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi. Per the earlier discussion, that level of drop means TLJ is a disastrous failure and the Star Wars saga is doomed, DOOMED!!! ... Or it means absolutely nothing. One of the two.

Amusingly, percentagewise, A New Hope to Empire Strikes Back was worse. DOOOOOOOOM!!!!!

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Thu, 25. Jan 18, 13:55

Doom then. Always doom.

I think there are lots of people who want the new films to fail just so they'd be right.

But then where would we be?

Left with a bunch of increasingly old movies that no young person would watch on their own, and the awful prequels.

Lucas wasn't going to make any more, probably because he couldn't, his most recent efforts were awful and he had to know it, even if no-one dared tell him at the time.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Thu, 25. Jan 18, 15:09

mrbadger wrote:I think there are lots of people who want the new films to fail just so they'd be right.
Isnt that the norm now? Being right, or more so, others being wrong, is the main goal, is it not? Even if it means things burn to the ground, being right for the win... :roll:

MFG

Ketraar

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Thu, 25. Jan 18, 22:45

I quite liked the premise of the Episodes 1-3, but when watching it again a few years back.... Christ, the dialogue. It's so cringe worthy. That's the worst part, but not the only part (e.g. some characters were awful, excessive cgi, oddities of irrelevance).

For me, I need to watch all the new ones again as I've only seen them in the cinema.

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Fri, 26. Jan 18, 00:42

I think I've said this before, but the biggest problem with the prequels wasn't the script (though that was pretty abysmal). Lucas had taken movies with awful scripts and made them into good movies (that's the classic movies).

No, the biggest problem was that Lucas edited the movie he made himself. The bones of good movies are there, terrible lines or not. But some scenes are over long, others are glossed over too quickly. The pacing is off all over the place.

The classic trilogy was edited by someone else - someone with no emotional connection to the scenes that had been filmed. But Lucas decided that the part of the movie-making process he really enjoyed was editing the final film together, and in retrospect that's something he really wasn't all that good at.
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 26. Jan 18, 06:57

Lucas was just "entirely wrong" in everything connected with the prequels. His direction was terrible (according to reports) he did crazy stuff like forcing in "moar actshun" and ridiculous visuals that only confused the viewer. The story was also stoopid in the "this is stupid" sort of way. It was also filled with a lot of things that had nothing to do with anything and no characters worth writing about... UNLESS you had seen the other movies. Then, maybe, you'd be mildly interested after your popcorn ran out.

Lucas wrote 'em, envisioned 'em, either wrote or co-wrote the screenplays, directed and produced and whatever else one would call it - It's his fault.

We really shouldn't be making excuses for those prequels. Hey, I'm sure that many people's first introduction into Star Wars in film media was through the prequels. That's OK. And, whether they liked or loved them doesn't really matter that much, either. Different strokes and all that... But, they were horrid. :)

/rant off

Now, Disney is in the mix. Disney does a great job with "story", especially archetypical ones. Their animation department is beyond compare in constucting perfect character visuals. It doesn't get any better, really. But, they're not that great with sequels for real-action movies. (Whether or not Star Wars can be called "real-action" is debatable.) After all, Disney is responsible for the "Herbie the Love Bug" series...

I'd be happy with self-contained movies in a Star Wars Universe, each with their own storylines and characters exploring the setting, not some stupid ridiculous dumb "character" thing that Disney just doesn't do well. Unless Kylo is supposed to be an angsty wannabe High-School-Shooter... If so, they hit it right on the mark.

Return to “Off Topic English”