X4 and Linux

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Mon, 16. Jul 18, 17:49

Setting up a dedicated Windows partition in an already existing Linux installation is reasonably annoying, as you have to at least re-partition your drives and/or rearrange your filesystem configuration (Linux doesn't treat drives in the same way as Windows).

Using a VM, or even Wine for that matter, is always a lottery. For the former - with the hardware, for the latter - with actual software support in Wine vs. how well the game is written.

Thing is, 90% of any PC game's code is platform-agnostic anyway. The main issue with making Linux ports as opposed to, say, Mac, is not coding the platform-specific stuff, it's distributing the binaries, which may or may not work in various Linux installations: they're too varied and rolling. Just with X3 recently, on some distributions one has to delete a certain shared library (Linux equivalent of a DLL) that ships with X3, otherwise the game doesn't start at all.

sakuramboo
x4

Post by sakuramboo » Mon, 16. Jul 18, 18:49

Vandragorax wrote:How hard can it really be to set up a Windows partition / VM?
Generally speaking, it's quite easy to set up a dual boot. VM is much harder because VFIO is still a relatively new thing, so setting it up requires a lot of manual configurations.

But, for me, the issue isn't in the complexity of setting it up, it's in the annoyances of having to use it. I do 95% of my computing on Linux. So, having to reboot into Windows just to play a game for 30-60 minutes and then reboot back into Linux is a major hassle. Only to have to do this all throughout the day because my free time comes in spurts. Even with VFIO, it requires specific hardware, kernel options, and a lot of fine tuning that I would rather just play something native to Linux than to mess around trying to debug why the VM isn't loading or why WINE keeps crashing. I play games to escape from troubleshooting computer issues, I don't want to have then do this when I get home from work.

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Tue, 14. Aug 18, 00:23

lostboron wrote: Next on my wishlist: X4 VR on Linux (I'm not buying VR equipment without it !)
Do we even have one of decent VR vendors supporting linux fully? As it stands, a linux version could be the only reason I will still buy X4, similar as it was the only reason I bought Rebirth on some sale. For some reason they still want to experiment with the gameplay instead of returning to what worked for most of us, but at least they are doing linux versions now.

x3tc

Post by 26072013 » Mon, 20. Aug 18, 11:24

Vandragorax wrote:How hard can it really be to set up a Windows partition / VM?
I use Linux for three years now, and dualboot for some games into Win7. That wasn't complicated and works ok.

But dualbooting with Win10 on the other hand seems to be a pain in the arse, since Win10 upgrades (which happen every few months) can overwrite the boot partition, and make it necessary to fix the installation. I haven't experienced this first hand, but there are many reports from people having problems with this.

So, that's not great. Additionally I'd also like to avoid having to spend money on an OS that I absolutely don't agree with and would only need for a few games.

ubuntufreakdragon
x4

Post by ubuntufreakdragon » Mon, 20. Aug 18, 11:56

that's why my primary bootloader is grub and Win 10 is only chainloaded.
My X3 Mods

XRebirth, things left to patch:
In General; On Firing NPC's; In De Vries; Out Of Zone; And the Antiwishlist

deeperman

Re: X4 and Linux

Post by deeperman » Sun, 30. Dec 18, 10:11

Hello everyone "Linuxoid" who reads! I think ... In order for game developers to port their games to Linux. We need to create some kind of world petition from Linux users. And report about this petition wherever possible! In the end, (I hope!) We will come to the conclusion that all game developers will take into account our purchasing power!

As it has already happened once with plugs for charging phones from different manufacturers! (now the standard is considered mini-usb)

I could write the text of the petition in Russian, but I don’t know where to place it and MOST IMPORTANT how to get to the developers!
(I only use Linux for 3 years! I am still a noob in Linux!)

I suppose that a petition signed by a couple of millions of +/- 999999 over people needs to be sent to the official addresses of the companies, and then (possibly) there will be a "profit!"

P.S. just a set of emoticons expressing my emotions about this!
:? :x :evil: :roll: :wink: :?: :idea: :gruebel: :D

Return to “X4: Foundations”