Buying a Restricted Budget PC Dos and Don'ts.

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Tue, 6. Feb 18, 15:02

zazie wrote:If you haven't decided yet and if you want to think about different approaches I'd suggest you check this thread on the Forums of "Computerbase".
Yes, it is in German, but the names and specs of the PC-Hardware are 'international'.
:O Only an i3 for an >1100 $ PC. :O
GPU and RAM got way too expensive.

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

korio
Moderator (Español)
Moderator (Español)
x4

Post by korio » Tue, 6. Feb 18, 15:10

Tamina wrote:
zazie wrote:If you haven't decided yet and if you want to think about different approaches I'd suggest you check this thread on the Forums of "Computerbase".
Yes, it is in German, but the names and specs of the PC-Hardware are 'international'.
The new i3-8xxx are powerfull, they are like old i5.

GPU and RAM is starting to "lower" their price, and you can find some good deals, atleast here on spain.

They are still way overpriced.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Tue, 6. Feb 18, 15:13

Tamina wrote:
It looks like they started using RAM production facilities for other stuff so demand has increased but supply hasn't. This effects v ram also. It might take a few years for production facilities to adapt/grow. Computer sales have decreased.

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Wed, 7. Feb 18, 16:41

I priced up a budget build for my daughter and roughly:-

CPU ~£100
MB ~ £50 to £100 (depends on CPU that new Kaby Lake i3 needs that fancy MB!)
RAM 16mb ~£200
PSU ~ £50
SSD ~ £70 (240mb)
GFX ~ £150 (1050ti - anything above this seems to be siily prices!)

I wonder if the new Ryzen with built in GFX or the new Intel Kaby LAake G chips will make good budget PC.

It's the DDR4 RAM that's expensive - my build from last year used DDR3 and 16gb was £75.
A flower?

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Wed, 7. Feb 18, 17:07

I just built a budget pc and it runs great, can run all games on medium settings well (even games like the witcher 3). Intel G4560, GTX 1050 2gb, msi H110M Pro-vh plus, 8gb ram.

I'de recommend these parts for a budget build.

PS: Buy Intel/Nvidia, not AMD. I built 2 budget amd pc's a while back, 1 CPU came with ALL the pins bent to one side (I had to used a credit card to bend them back straight....) and one of the amd gpus has already burnt out - i've owned so many intel/nvidia pc's over the years and only had 1 failure (I ignored temps on a 6 years old gpu and it fried).

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Wed, 7. Feb 18, 18:32

On the other hand my non-partner Radeon 5700 is still running after 9 years - just to give you another perspective.

Personally, I am all in for RyZen because of that (if X4F would be already available), even though lots of friends told me that Intel/AMD doesn't work that well/at all... they were wrong.

Support stopped after 7 years with a notice, Intel stopped support after 4-5 but without telling me.

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 7. Feb 18, 23:11

Redvers Ganderpoke wrote: I wonder if the new Ryzen with built in GFX or the new Intel Kaby LAake G chips will make good budget PC.
Those Ryzen-based APUs aren't released for a week or so, so I don't think anyone's likely to know how good they are as yet. They definitely look interesting, though. The main problem with integrated GPUs like those is that they generally take a chunk of your system RAM for the GPU's use, so you need more RAM in the first place, and regular system RAM isn't as fast as dedicated graphics RAM on a plug-in card.

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Thu, 8. Feb 18, 12:57

pjknibbs wrote:
Redvers Ganderpoke wrote: I wonder if the new Ryzen with built in GFX or the new Intel Kaby LAake G chips will make good budget PC.
Those Ryzen-based APUs aren't released for a week or so, so I don't think anyone's likely to know how good they are as yet. They definitely look interesting, though. The main problem with integrated GPUs like those is that they generally take a chunk of your system RAM for the GPU's use, so you need more RAM in the first place, and regular system RAM isn't as fast as dedicated graphics RAM on a plug-in card.
It looks like the KABY Lake G are destined for laptops but seem to include 4GB or GFX RAM. (As far as I can make out as Intel likes to make everything as possible as complicated as possible.)
A flower?

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Mon, 19. Feb 18, 17:13

Here's a thread that had me grateful I have an EET and accounts at newegg and amazon and links to parts sites.
Granted that it's not as easy as it used to be, still I might be considered "odd" thinking building computer systems is fun, Windows after XP took some of the fun out of things. At least it broke the 3 TB barrier with 7. 8 was maddening requiring a touchscreen until 8.1. UEFI only MB's are great. For single drive Windows computers. Worthless for "Other OS" users booting Linux. Sure it works both ways, but why make the penguin jump through hoops? It's a time where with WIN 10 when the graphics overhead is outstripping processor tasking unless your doing realtime simulation... Wait we are. It called X3.
Now a good graphic card costs more than the MB., 6 core chip, power supply, HD and if you're that into audio past most MB's built on Realtech audio those cards are getting cheaper. Ram used cost more than video cards. Not that long ago. Up until the 1070's I could build a screaming PC for under $500 US easy. Now you can't buy a video card of any quality for that. It used to be the 8 gig of ram I needed that was the killer. Now it's 16 gig for 3DS Max and Win 10 or it dogs. Oh well. I just made a 3D starship on this Android smartphone. Cropped my avatar in Photoshop on my smart phone. I should keep quiet or they'll find some way to jack up the price for these...oops they did. They're called iPhones. Well Mac's getting there's I suppose.
The answer to life, the universe and everything:
MIND THE GAP

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Sun, 25. Feb 18, 17:57

Redvers Ganderpoke wrote:
pjknibbs wrote:
It looks like the KABY Lake G are destined for laptops but seem to include 4GB or GFX RAM. (As far as I can make out as Intel likes to make everything as possible as complicated as possible.)
There are out and reviews are moderate to good, the graphics is effected by the RAM you buy, the faster the better. Looks like the slower one,2200g, is good value and the faster one, 2400g isn't as it's about the same price as an i3-8100 with a 1030gfx card and is slower.
A flower?

Magnu
xr

Post by Magnu » Sat, 24. Mar 18, 00:50

Hi.

Having some mobility problems and difficulty reading after m y stroke but improving slowly.
THanks for the tips. I gave my old PC to my daughter and decided to by another for myself but have run into a few money problems so can only spend around £600.

I found this and was wondering if it is worth the price

https://www.very.co.uk/medion-s91-tower ... 256213.prd

Thanks again

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Sat, 24. Mar 18, 03:04

i5 7400 = 4 cores 4 threads my i7-3770k not overclocked from almost 5 years ago is 4 cores 8 threads and is faster than it. I have no idea if this is a problem. My cpu might never reach 100% in games. It seems to be about 65% at most usually. Games seem more gpu dependent.

Is the hard drive a 5400 rpm hard drive or at least 7200 rpm? specs? A 5400 rpm hard drive would be bad.

The case ventilation might not be good?

There's no wifi also buts that's not uncommon. It just means you'll have to find a way to connect to the internet.

The evga 1050 ti gets good reviews. I don't think it will run ultra settings but it should be ok.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Sat, 24. Mar 18, 03:17

I don't get it. Maybe compare the parts to your old pc. It's a bad time to buy a new pc due to the security fix and crazy prices.

Comparing it to my computer.

The 1050 ti is rated 4% faster than a 760. I am guessing it's slower or about the same as my 760 sc card.

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nv ... 2159vs3649

The i5-7400 is a few percent faster than the regular i7-3770 and slightly slower than the i7-3770k.

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/In ... 1979vs3886

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 24. Mar 18, 11:08

burger1 wrote:i5 7400 = 4 cores 4 threads my i7-3770k not overclocked from almost 5 years ago is 4 cores 8 threads and is faster than it. I have no idea if this is a problem. My cpu might never reach 100% in games.
From everything I've heard there aren't really any games out there at the moment which make use of more than four cores, although that might change now that CPUs with more cores than that are starting to become mainstream.

Magnu
xr

Post by Magnu » Thu, 29. Mar 18, 14:17

I'm tired of searching and my mind isn't what it was.

DO you think this would run Rebirth on medium settings?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Freshtech-A320 ... 50ti&th=1.

Thank sfor your time and I don't want to appear dismissive of your suggestions butI'm finding this very difficult.

Magnu
xr

Post by Magnu » Fri, 6. Apr 18, 17:40

Hello again.

My son has left me with a plie of PC components and gone to visit his mum who's working in Canada for a few months.
He was going to help me assemble it but the motherboard won't be here until the end of next week.
I have a Ryzen 5 1600, a GTX 1060 3gb dual OC GPU, 8gb Kingston Fury DDR4 memory, an MSI B350 Gaming Plus motherboard and a 600w 80+ bronze PSU.

I'm nervous about putting it all together because it's hard for me to concentrate after the stroke.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, I'll let you know what happens.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 6. Apr 18, 19:03

Magnu wrote: I'm nervous about putting it all together because it's hard for me to concentrate after the stroke.
Don't be--putting a PC together is not actually all that difficult. The only advice I would offer is to make sure that the little metal pegs you screw in to your case to mount the motherboard on are *only* in the places that match up with the screw holes on the board--cases are generally designed to accept a range of different motherboard form factors, so they have more mounting holes than actually exist on the motherboard itself.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 6. Apr 18, 19:54

... also don't over-tighten the brass mounting pegs when attaching them to the case or even when using the steel motherboard fixing screws or you can strip the threads on the case or pegs and end up with a rattling motherboard.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Sat, 7. Apr 18, 13:34

Echo... putting a PC together is easy, you can take as much time as you need. 1 component an hour and have a break if you like...

There are dozens of Youtube channels that show how to build, and possibly with the components you list. There's no time limit to do it, so checking, double checking, searching - is all fine. Get familiar with watching a few vids first too, so you know what everything is; have a good space for working, unpack things in advance and lay them out with order that you'll install - so you don't have to search for things (which can make it more stressful).

Aside from that - I've seen that prices are dropping on memory and solid state drives again. Since memory was 100% more expensive than a year ago for the same memory, I'm waiting longer before buying to upgrade... hoping it comes down even more.

Magnu
xr

Post by Magnu » Sun, 8. Apr 18, 15:01

Thanks guys.

I've been watching tutorials and reading manuals while waiting for postie to bring my motherboard.
My daughter is keen to help and she's a smart kid so I'm sure everything will work out. I'll let you know.

Return to “Off Topic English”