Youtube monetisation change

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Gosnell
x4

Youtube monetisation change

Post by Gosnell » Wed, 17. Jan 18, 20:33

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-42716393
This is a problem, i run a small channel,as of february 20,i and lots of other small channels are going to lose the monetisation on they're videos.Asof then you need at least 1000 subscriptions to be eligible.
Its frustrating knowing that honest channels that are small will lose the incentive for making content for fellow gamers.
I enjoy making videos,the fact that i can generate a small income from it encourages me to make more content,than i otherwise would.To lose that after 4 years because i lack the criteria is frustrating.
Granted my cchannel isnt a roaring success but i think they shoud have left existing partners alone.
Feeling annoyed

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 17. Jan 18, 21:09

I don't think this will last. I'm sure they've done the metrics, but I would expect them to be a bit concerned about losing so much revenue, themselves. Granted, the frequency per user is lower for those low-subscriber accounts, but there are a lot of them.

Obviously, youtube is trying to gain some positive PR by appearing to act proactively. The "human screening" of vids has been proposed before. Their response has always been in the realm of "it's impossible." So, they're trying to make it possible... I imagine they will keep this program for a little while to promoted their "Preferred" advertising worthwhile, then they'll open up the bottom-end again and add another advertising program that touts its stewardship with a guarantee of non-controversial, mundane, boring, curse-free, videos, which we're all sure advertisers will flock to...

OR, they could just revoke the accounts of asshats....

Honestly, their incorporation of "Vine" stars and vids seriously degraded youtube's content. No, it wasn't exactly exemplary before, but these "Vine" stars are mostly morons.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Wed, 17. Jan 18, 21:29

You can't exactly blame them, they are after all just trying to defend themselves. If you want to rant and moan at anyone about it, just go after those stupid Americans that seem to think they can do and say whatever they want and that there will never be any kind of consequence or comeback for their actions.

I recommend you start with Logan Paul.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 17. Jan 18, 21:35

felter wrote:You can't exactly blame them, they are after all just trying to defend themselves. If you want to rant and moan at anyone about it, just go after those stupid Americans that seem to think they can do and say whatever they want and that there will never be any kind of consequence or comeback for their actions.

I recommend you start with Logan Paul.
Uh... "Americans?" Dude. Don't blame us for Logan Paul, blame youtube's automagic inclusion of "Vine" vids and "stars." I assure you - America isn't the sole supplier, nor the largest supplier, of angsty entitled morons. Though, that seems to be the path to success for a good many youtubers targetting the lower-end of the market.

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Wed, 17. Jan 18, 21:50

I had about 40K views on my channel. Videos not so popular now but I still get a couple hundred new views per month. I've turned all my videos to private now. If I can't monetise them, I'm sure as hell not letting Google put their own ads and profit from them.
Sometimes I stream stuff: https://www.twitch.tv/sorata77 (currently World of Tanks)
This sı not ǝpısdn down.
MyAnimeList,
Steam: Sorata

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 17. Jan 18, 22:31

felter wrote:You can't exactly blame them, they are after all just trying to defend themselves.
By demonetising smaller channels? Yeah, that'll work, it's all those small channels with very few views like Pewdiepie and Logan Paul who are causing issues...OH WAIT.

If there's any justification for this at all, it's maybe that logistics means it actually costs Youtube more money to arrange payments to small channels than they get from the advertising. It's not a great reason to do this as far as the creators are concerned, but it is at least a reasonable one from a business standpoint.

Gosnell
x4

Post by Gosnell » Wed, 17. Jan 18, 22:39

@star in your eyes,if you dont meet the criteria no adverts play,google dosent make money on your videos so dontmake private.

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Thu, 18. Jan 18, 04:03

My poor daughter!

She just got over 1000 views, 39 subscriptions, now what will she do?

I'll have to make a few more vids.
Split now give me death? Nah. Just give me your ship.

kohlrak

Post by kohlrak » Thu, 18. Jan 18, 05:23

Gosnell wrote:@star in your eyes,if you dont meet the criteria no adverts play,google dosent make money on your videos so dontmake private.
Not true. I saw a video that was "demonitized," yet still got advertisements on it. It seems google's policy is to play adds every so many videos regardless, but then play premium ads in the middle or around monetized videos.

The big issue at the end of the day is that certain youtubers threated an industry: cable providers. They used politics to harass advertisers to blackmail youtube. In other words, cable news highlighted less than agreeable channels to try to stick their own market out there. Try looking up any news topic on youtube. A long time ago, mainstream news was not the top search results for a given topic. Now, finding someone who posts a whole video without their own commentary, or even posts the whole video with commentary separate, is next to impossible. TV is loosing to the internet, so they tried to use the power of cable news to scare advertisers into putting pressure on youtube to make sure that youtube can't overtake TV, by giving TV exclusive rights over everyone else.

And yes, i know, it hit liberals as much as conservatives. That's because it never was about politics, even though they used politics to pull this off. It was all about the almighty dollar. I'm mwilling to bet that things like patreon and 3rd party advertising are going to be banned on youtube at some point in the near future as well.

silenced
x4

Post by silenced » Thu, 18. Jan 18, 07:33

I recently activated my ad-blocker again for youtube. They started to play 9 - 20 minutes long ads again. WTF. I know, they can be skipped, but just that these exist is crazy.

Especially, why play an ad by Rihanna with a length of over 9 minutes when I don't even listen to that kind of music?

Now I just need to find a way to block youtube ads on my TV.
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 18. Jan 18, 08:53

It really doesn't make sense that they put a 5 minute pre-roll ad on a video that's maybe 2 minutes long. I could understand it if they only put those on 3 hour podcasts or the like.

Mind you, a lot of advertisers are getting quite creative with their Youtube advertising--they know that you can generally skip the ad after 5 seconds, so they make the ad 5 seconds long!

kohlrak

Post by kohlrak » Thu, 18. Jan 18, 09:43

pjknibbs wrote:It really doesn't make sense that they put a 5 minute pre-roll ad on a video that's maybe 2 minutes long. I could understand it if they only put those on 3 hour podcasts or the like.

Mind you, a lot of advertisers are getting quite creative with their Youtube advertising--they know that you can generally skip the ad after 5 seconds, so they make the ad 5 seconds long!
Well, when you're seeing people using adblocks like crazy, and when you cut down on who can even have certain ads on their channels, it gets very hard very quickly to make money. So, expect infomercials, and expect the skip button to disappear, too. Google's slowly going to find out that the more aggressively it pushes advertisements, the quicker people get adblocks and the like. I originally got an adblocker because of a google ad, actually, for some MTV show called "skins." I was a little bothered by what looked like teenagers wearing next to nothing (if not nothing), piled ontop of each other. Mind you, the site i was browsing at the time was lang-8. Reported the ad, because it's clearly trying to push the limits of what was OK, and, as expected, nothing happened. Got an adblock and have been using on ever since.

So, certain websites compensated by using adblock detectors to show "you can't view this page while using adblock." Now i'm seeing pages with "continue with adblock anyway." Guess they were upset that the users weren't disabling the adblock.

The problem is, ads have become quite invasive, thanks to what they can do with a computer. I remember back in the day when people got upset for the evony ads, but aside from seeing a half-naked lady, they're hardly as invasive as seeing someone who's pretty much entirely naked. Or the flash zwinky and smiley central (whom admit stealing credit card information in their privacy policy, which you agree to making it legal) ads making screaming noises come out of your speakers. If i'm in a hurry (and task is time critical) to try to fix something and i'm trying to watch a video on how to dissect this piece of equipment (maybe I got water on my tablet or something) a geek squad advertisement is probably not the best thing for me to see at that time. Or, if i'm in an 80s rock playlist, Rhianna ads are particularly offensive.

Something i've seen that's much less invasive, while still annoying, is those clickable background images that line certain gaming websites. Sometimes i see stuff there I might be interested in. And if i'm not, i just need to make sure my touch pad is in a better spot (i usually like to put my mouse in the side margins of a page to avoid clicking something by accident, like those annoying ads on facebook). I'm sure if someone did a study, having a less offensive advertisement will help sales go up more than an advertisement that ruins your experience with something else. I understand you don't want to be so passive that you get ignored. How about we do something that doesn't interfere with the functionality of what we're doing: maybe an add across the bottom of the video without covering up any content from the video? How about ads with no audio, so we don't have the emergency speaker adjustment or headphone removal if we were expecting a quiet video? Or, how about you learn to advertise the good old fashion way, which minecraft used to get itself everywhere: made a decent product which it hyped fairly effectively and made it a community building thing?

If people aren't buying your product already, it's probably because they don't need it. So for that Rhianna ad, i don't listen to her, so i don't care. Those who do listen to her are well aware of whatever it is you want. Why are you advertising? Consumables, i can understand, because you often need to be in the right mood to go after them. But if your product is not a consumable, it's old and established, you aren't changing anyone's mind. new iPhone? Cool, i'm an android user. New Samsung? Nah, i'll pass, i had to root mine just to reenable a feature that made my life significantly easier. No thanks. New android device by a new company? Ok, I bite, what do you have to offer? Coke? Sorry, i'm a fan of Dr. Pepper and Pure Leaf tea, and your ads aren't going to change my mind, and while i'm viewing your ad, i'm probably already drinking my drink. No, looking at your competing drink doesn't make me feel jealous. Budwiser? We liked the funny commercials, which aren't even funny, anymore. I don't even drink. Geico? You're old, and the jokes are getting old. At least the wild scenarios in state farm are funny. Btw, state farm, I am happy with my insurance that I don't have to fight with. I see no reason to believe you saying "i care" makes you any more likely to when the rubber hits the road. Go away, unless you have a way to qualify this, which i'd be all ears, just to find out how you could actually prove that.

Gosnell
x4

Post by Gosnell » Thu, 18. Jan 18, 12:45

There is a diference between demonetised and no adverts,demonetised means there is no ads due to problems detected with your video.There is no adverts on unmonetised videos.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 18. Jan 18, 12:46

I don't use an adblocker because I have this odd idea that people ought to receive some recompense for their work, and since the adverts on Youtube are the only source of that (ignoring Youtube Red, which still isn't available in the UK anyway) I don't have a problem occasionally watching them.

kohlrak

Post by kohlrak » Thu, 18. Jan 18, 13:26

pjknibbs wrote:I don't use an adblocker because I have this odd idea that people ought to receive some recompense for their work, and since the adverts on Youtube are the only source of that (ignoring Youtube Red, which still isn't available in the UK anyway) I don't have a problem occasionally watching them.
I agree, to a point. Most of what i watch at this point is Stefan Molyneux, whom i have on occasion given money directly to. The rest boil down to clippings from shows or other sources that are not getting compensation to begin with (and the poster did little to no work, either, short of running a script to download a video and reupload it), or reuploaded music, which is essentially music piracy.

You gotta ask yourself, sometime, how many of the monetized videos you see are even legally monetizable. For example, any channel monetizing a minecraft video, for example, is against Minecraft's EULA, and has been for years. Often is the case for many video games, actually.

To that end, when I do upload a video to youtube, I see it as something I do not wish compensation for. Youtube will ultimately go in that direction, advertising on all videos or making money some other way, due to the number of adblockers and all the blackmail. The irony being that the ones who're blackmailing google right now are on the same side as google on a political level. That should further point out what's behind all the demonitization. And if it were to do that, I think it'd be a great thing. Why people are relying on youtube ads to make a living is beyond me. From my understanding of the original purpose of the site, it was never meant to be this way, anyway.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Thu, 18. Jan 18, 18:40

pjknibbs wrote:I don't use an adblocker because I have this odd idea that people ought to receive some recompense for their work, and since the adverts on Youtube are the only source of that (ignoring Youtube Red, which still isn't available in the UK anyway) I don't have a problem occasionally watching them.
You can disable adblocker on individual sites with a single click. Or maybe it's two (one on the adblock icon, second on the "disable on this site").

I have adblock on by default and that will never change. On reputable sites, it'll get disabled if requested. On sites I trust, it will get disabled.

I should also add that javascript is disabled by default on all sites, for which I add the exception as/when i desire. Also use Ghostery as well, less to do with adds, more to do with analytics.

You are completely in control of blocking / enabling in all circumstances; that's definitely preferable to having whatever, wherever, fostered on you by whomever, without any quality gate.

Alee Enn
x4

Post by Alee Enn » Thu, 18. Jan 18, 18:46

I use adblock plus. I hate adverts and advertisers.

As for Youtube's monetisation policy, it's never been fair anyway, now it's just a different kind of "fair".

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 18. Jan 18, 22:21

Chips wrote: You are completely in control of blocking / enabling in all circumstances; that's definitely preferable to having whatever, wherever, fostered on you by whomever, without any quality gate.
Which is why I use NoScript.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Thu, 18. Jan 18, 23:01

I prefer noscript since it allows me to separate functions and tells me what's going on, to be honest. I haven't had a lot of experience using "AdBlocker."

kohlrak

Post by kohlrak » Fri, 19. Jan 18, 06:31

Chips wrote: I should also add that javascript is disabled by default on all sites, for which I add the exception as/when i desire. Also use Ghostery as well, less to do with adds, more to do with analytics.
I saw something fundementally incorrect from a ghostery advertisment on facebook. I forget the specifics, but I would advise you not to trust it too much. I do remember it made some pretty bold claims that it could not realistically fulfill.

Return to “Off Topic English”