Steven

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

User avatar
Morkonan
Posts: 1698
Joined: Sun, 25. Sep 11, 04:33

Post by Morkonan » Sat, 20. Jan 18, 21:37

Terre wrote:
philip_hughes wrote:Riight- so even this was circling the drain a little.

Noted
Indeed. :)
But, isn't that where all the most interesting stuff winds up, just before it disappears? The most exciting seat in the house is right above the maelstrom, hovering over the drain, watching threads violently collide in their last gasps before the darkness takes them...

User avatar
philip_hughes
Posts: 2074
Joined: Tue, 29. Aug 06, 16:06

Post by philip_hughes » Sun, 21. Jan 18, 08:30

Morkonan wrote:
Terre wrote:
philip_hughes wrote:Riight- so even this was circling the drain a little.

Noted
Indeed. :)
But, isn't that where all the most interesting stuff winds up, just before it disappears? The most exciting seat in the house is right above the maelstrom, hovering over the drain, watching threads violently collide in their last gasps before the darkness takes them...
This forum needs a like button...

As a service to the admins I'm not formally requesting one. :-)
Split now give me death? Nah. Just give me your ship.

User avatar
Morkonan
Posts: 1698
Joined: Sun, 25. Sep 11, 04:33

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 22. Jan 18, 21:11

philip_hughes wrote:This forum needs a like button...

As a service to the admins I'm not formally requesting one. :-)
Like buttons are... worrisome. Wasn't there something like that here a long time ago?

Anyway, I hate "Like" buttons. They start being a goal and something to squabble over, sometimes even drowning out other voices that should be heard.

"ZOMGZ NOBODDIES LIK'D MY POST! THEY HATE ME!" <- The first time a forum-member says that to themselves, the goal of the forum is that much weaker, IMO. (Waxing philosophical, I know.)

The only time I appreciate those sorts of things are on forums where someone asks a question and then the correct answer gets voted up above the rim of the bowl of garbage responses. Saves me time trying to figure out quests, make my game work, debug a bug that's bugging me, etc...

User avatar
philip_hughes
Posts: 2074
Joined: Tue, 29. Aug 06, 16:06

Post by philip_hughes » Tue, 23. Jan 18, 12:04

Oh, i know most ppl hate me, just they occasionally like what i post.
Split now give me death? Nah. Just give me your ship.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
Posts: 35999
Joined: Tue, 29. Apr 03, 00:56

Post by CBJ » Tue, 23. Jan 18, 17:17

Morkonan wrote:Like buttons are... worrisome. Wasn't there something like that here a long time ago?
There was. Some people started spamming just to get likes, while others trolled to get dislikes. It contributed nothing of value to the forum, encouraged spam and trolling, and made extra work for the moderators, so it was removed.

Edit: Typo.
Last edited by CBJ on Wed, 24. Jan 18, 02:32, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Morkonan
Posts: 1698
Joined: Sun, 25. Sep 11, 04:33

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 23. Jan 18, 21:46

CBJ wrote:
Morkonan wrote:Like buttons are... worrisome. Wasn't there something like that here a long time ago?
There was. Some people started spamming just to get likes, while others trolled to get dislikes. It contributed nothing of value to the forum, encouraged spam and trolling, and made extra work for the moderators, so it was removed.
And, there ya go... With all the various means attempted since "people posting discussions on teh interwebz" you'd think someone would have figured this out.

Then again, there's Twitter, that decided it would focus entirely on this scheme. Entirely. Is it any surprise that most of the stuff that floats to the top of the bowl in that cesspool is crap?
philip_hughes wrote:Oh, i know most ppl hate me, just they occasionally like what i post.
Ages back, when I had more hair and teh interwebz was in its infancy, I remember a chat channel that had a lot of people participating in it. There were a few notable participants that usually ended up getting a lot of responses and causing an uproar, on occasion. One frequent participant, in particular, was very well known. One night, I got an invite to a secret channel that was entirely devoted to goading, laughing at and making fun of that notable person. It was more active than the main channel... They were the ones that planned the next big troll, the next controversy, the next huge joke. Fun times for adolescents or adults nurturing their adolescent brains. :) /egosoft_forums/off-topic/mork_trolling ;)

User avatar
philip_hughes
Posts: 2074
Joined: Tue, 29. Aug 06, 16:06

Post by philip_hughes » Tue, 23. Jan 18, 23:09

So maybe egosoft needs to make a pick on the troll button instead...
Split now give me death? Nah. Just give me your ship.

Post Reply

Return to “Off Topic English”