X4 meaningful crafting (ideas) ?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 19. Jan 18, 15:18

It won't be quite like either. There won't be separate stations that produce and sell them, but the station you buy them from, and fit them to your ship at, will need to have the necessary resources to assemble them.

Graaf
x3tc

Re: X4 meaningful crafting (ideas) ?

Post by Graaf » Fri, 19. Jan 18, 19:07

Nikola515 wrote:What does everyone else think how crafting would improve X4 ?
By removing it.

Nikola515
x4

Post by Nikola515 » Sat, 20. Jan 18, 10:00

CBJ wrote:It won't be quite like either. There won't be separate stations that produce and sell them, but the station you buy them from, and fit them to your ship at, will need to have the necessary resources to assemble them.
Thank you CBJ. So weapons will be built from weapon components ( or something like that) on site rather than on stations like in previous titles ? I assume same will be with stations weapons when we build them ? This is simple but efficient ( I like it) :D

Edit: Just to make sure I understand this correctly :oops: There will be station or module that build parts like weapons components (just example). Those components will be used to make any weapons in shipyards or equipment docks ?
It's not world hunger because we can't feed poor,it's because there will never be enough to feed the rich .....

JSDD
x3tc

Post by JSDD » Sat, 20. Jan 18, 13:35

CBJ wrote:It won't be quite like either. There won't be separate stations that produce and sell them, but the station you buy them from, and fit them to your ship at, will need to have the necessary resources to assemble them.
i hope we can add separate multiple "docking port" station modules (or "hangar modules") at our structure so that we can dock and refuel/rearm bigships directly at the producing structure ... that was always a problem in X3, you had to transfer product from factories/complex hub to bigships via freighter + transporter device OR via freighter + equipment dock ...
To err is human. To really foul things up you need a computer.
Irren ist menschlich. Aber wenn man richtig Fehler machen will, braucht man einen Computer.

Mission Director Beispiele

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Sat, 20. Jan 18, 13:55

Won't that what cbj said make things like that more limited in supply compared to dedicated factories with dedicated time building just weapons or XXX etc. As if say a trading dock that sells say gamma ire lasers has to build in house if it has none in stock then what if it already had a sell order for something else it doesn't have in stock and has to build that for someone else before your order is started, then there's the issue does said station even have resources for that other object so it can't start even building that thing for the other person before yours is even started, and does said station have resources to build yours after it's done building the other thing.

Least with dedicated stations it 1. Fills the universe with other stations so more variety of places to dock urself if bored of just going to fewer. 2. Has dedicated build times to that item, and dedicated ships to fetch resources to build it. Hopefully meaning more of them made and easier to buy.

I don't think I'd like too many places trying to build every item it potentially sells especially if it's a big list of sellable items that struggles to build each themselves and keep a good stock level for all it's items.

Now if it's a hub of modules supporting said station that might help but tbh I hate hubs like joining stations together I've always preferred it with many separate stations so u can fly to many different places and admire their unique designs like in xbtf. I'm not going to win that argument tho because too many want that as they like doing it tho I always found it weird egosoft did it as it's more building gameplay than is needed for what is essentially a space adventure shooting game (based on what it said on the box of xbtf). And why I like the way the early games were made instead of later ones like x3 and above.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

Nikola515
x4

Post by Nikola515 » Sat, 20. Jan 18, 17:40

I think with this they just used shipyard/equipment as actual weapon/ship factory.... Good thing about is that thy could add whole bunch of new weapons without building modules for each weapon or waiting for cycle like in XR.

Perhaps they will have separate module that produces weapon components warheads or whatever weapon needs to be assembled when it gets there. From there we can chose what weapon we want to build without worrying if it is in stock. In X3 it was pain to equip capital ship without having your own stations....

Anyway I hope next video explains how station/economy will work as well as work force.
It's not world hunger because we can't feed poor,it's because there will never be enough to feed the rich .....

csaba
x4

Post by csaba » Sat, 20. Jan 18, 20:33

Nikola515 wrote:I think with this they just used shipyard/equipment as actual weapon/ship factory.... Good thing about is that thy could add whole bunch of new weapons without building modules for each weapon or waiting for cycle like in XR.

Perhaps they will have separate module that produces weapon components warheads or whatever weapon needs to be assembled when it gets there. From there we can chose what weapon we want to build without worrying if it is in stock. In X3 it was pain to equip capital ship without having your own stations....

Anyway I hope next video explains how station/economy will work as well as work force.
Taking a look at station models from previous streams I think we can conclude that the XR ware tree will be more or less copied. Mods and ship weapons will probably use microchips, podkletovn generators etc. Turret factories will probably have some changes so you don't build the cap ship turrets directly just "plasma chambers" or something along those lines. I'd say cycles will be there as well.

for XR wares reference:

https://stuff.incertum.net/x-rebirth/x-rebirth-all.png

Nikola515
x4

Post by Nikola515 » Mon, 22. Jan 18, 07:25

I personally don't think economy will be advanced as XR economy. It will be probably somewhere in between..... If you look at videos you don't see that many wares and stations don't need whole bunch of materials to run. For example in XR you would need 7 items to build reinforced metal plating but in X4 you would probably need 3 to 4.... But X4 is still early alpha and I can be totally wrong here ;)

Edit: I just watched one of videos and I noticed that wares like engine,missile,turret and weapon components are in game. So I think those wares will be used as universal items to build those parts.... I think new economy will be interesting :)

csaba
x4

Post by csaba » Mon, 22. Jan 18, 22:18

Nikola515 wrote:I personally don't think economy will be advanced as XR economy. It will be probably somewhere in between..... If you look at videos you don't see that many wares and stations don't need whole bunch of materials to run. For example in XR you would need 7 items to build reinforced metal plating but in X4 you would probably need 3 to 4.... But X4 is still early alpha and I can be totally wrong here ;)

Edit: I just watched one of videos and I noticed that wares like engine,missile,turret and weapon components are in game. So I think those wares will be used as universal items to build those parts.... I think new economy will be interesting :)

Good eye there.

One of the issues with XR's economy was a bottleneck namely:

chemical compounds --> microchips ---> all end products
\--------------------------------------->

Any problem with or under this production line causes the whole economy to stop...

I hope those components will have as you said a more simple and diversified evolutionary line like (cut cristals+refined metals+food rations+e cells) = laser components while (silicon+antimatter cells+food rations+e cells)= rocket components. This would help with stability.

Nikola515
x4

Post by Nikola515 » Wed, 24. Jan 18, 01:57

Just like small talk lots of wares wore overused in XR as well ;) They probably made this to make as much as sink as possible do to shipyards being only endgame sink. I agree with you and I hope they do make economy somewhat separate when it comes to production.
Anyway to get back to topic this new system would work rally good for crafting and adding those blueprints to your shipyard or equipment dock module for mass production. Also we could manually customize our ships with new parts and we could mass produce them. I hope they do something like this in X4.

Return to “X4: Foundations”