Youtube monetisation change

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Thu, 18. Jan 18, 18:40

pjknibbs wrote:I don't use an adblocker because I have this odd idea that people ought to receive some recompense for their work, and since the adverts on Youtube are the only source of that (ignoring Youtube Red, which still isn't available in the UK anyway) I don't have a problem occasionally watching them.
You can disable adblocker on individual sites with a single click. Or maybe it's two (one on the adblock icon, second on the "disable on this site").

I have adblock on by default and that will never change. On reputable sites, it'll get disabled if requested. On sites I trust, it will get disabled.

I should also add that javascript is disabled by default on all sites, for which I add the exception as/when i desire. Also use Ghostery as well, less to do with adds, more to do with analytics.

You are completely in control of blocking / enabling in all circumstances; that's definitely preferable to having whatever, wherever, fostered on you by whomever, without any quality gate.

Alee Enn
x4

Post by Alee Enn » Thu, 18. Jan 18, 18:46

I use adblock plus. I hate adverts and advertisers.

As for Youtube's monetisation policy, it's never been fair anyway, now it's just a different kind of "fair".

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 18. Jan 18, 22:21

Chips wrote: You are completely in control of blocking / enabling in all circumstances; that's definitely preferable to having whatever, wherever, fostered on you by whomever, without any quality gate.
Which is why I use NoScript.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Thu, 18. Jan 18, 23:01

I prefer noscript since it allows me to separate functions and tells me what's going on, to be honest. I haven't had a lot of experience using "AdBlocker."

kohlrak

Post by kohlrak » Fri, 19. Jan 18, 06:31

Chips wrote: I should also add that javascript is disabled by default on all sites, for which I add the exception as/when i desire. Also use Ghostery as well, less to do with adds, more to do with analytics.
I saw something fundementally incorrect from a ghostery advertisment on facebook. I forget the specifics, but I would advise you not to trust it too much. I do remember it made some pretty bold claims that it could not realistically fulfill.

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Fri, 19. Jan 18, 13:12

kohlrak wrote:I do remember it made some pretty bold claims that it could not realistically fulfill.
That's advertisement in a nutshell.

I remember reading some controversy with regards to the use of the data of their opt-in data collection programm, about which adds are blocked, which are sold to advertisers then.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

kohlrak

Post by kohlrak » Fri, 19. Jan 18, 14:33

X2-Illuminatus wrote:
kohlrak wrote:I do remember it made some pretty bold claims that it could not realistically fulfill.
That's advertisement in a nutshell.

I remember reading some controversy with regards to the use of the data of their opt-in data collection programm, about which adds are blocked, which are sold to advertisers then.
There's a difference between puffery and false claims: puffery is understood by someone of the average IQ level to be false and/or exaggerated. This is why 110% juice is perfectly legal to have on your bottle.

Rapier
x3tc

Post by Rapier » Fri, 19. Jan 18, 19:31

kohlrak wrote:Why people are relying on youtube ads to make a living is beyond me. From my understanding of the original purpose of the site, it was never meant to be this way, anyway.
I'm seeing more people diversify away from ad revenue, either to patreon or into other media (books, films etc.). YouTube is the 'bread and butter' of how they got known, but once you are known you can work on a variety of different projects. I have a school friend I'm still in touch with who makes a living this way. He did few bits and pieces with various TV production companies who saw his early 'tube stuff, but none of that took off. The channel's been building for several years now though and he's making a living off that and a variety of spin-off projects. Not a fortune, but a living. There's a kind of network of people with similar channels and number of them are also producing things like books based on popular strands of their videos.

I see that as the way forward for content creators - YouTube is where you advertise yourself, not where you make money from adverts.
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

kohlrak

Post by kohlrak » Fri, 19. Jan 18, 19:38

Rapier wrote:
kohlrak wrote:Why people are relying on youtube ads to make a living is beyond me. From my understanding of the original purpose of the site, it was never meant to be this way, anyway.
I'm seeing more people diversify away from ad revenue, either to patreon or into other media (books, films etc.). YouTube is the 'bread and butter' of how they got known, but once you are known you can work on a variety of different projects. I have a school friend I'm still in touch with who makes a living this way. He did few bits and pieces with various TV production companies who saw his early 'tube stuff, but none of that took off. The channel's been building for several years now though and he's making a living off that and a variety of spin-off projects. Not a fortune, but a living. There's a kind of network of people with similar channels and number of them are also producing things like books based on popular strands of their videos.

I see that as the way forward for content creators - YouTube is where you advertise yourself, not where you make money from adverts.
From my understanding, that was the original purpose. I'm glad to hear people are returning to reality. Now, can we get something a little more decentralized before things get worse when the big players find out people have compensated with such methods?

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Fri, 19. Jan 18, 20:08

This cap is a step in the right direction, and it's been needed for a long time.

My step daughter has had this silly idea for some time that anyone can become rich with no effort just by posting popular videos on Youtube.

Having a subscriber cap before monetisation can begin will kill off most of the absurd channels she thinks are created by people with real talent.

I've seen them, they really aren't, they're mostly channels by kids that have made some money and think as a result what they have to say is useful. It seems to me that their followers mostly just want to make money the same way.

That wouldn't bother me, but my step daughter keeps saying she doesn't need to learn anything to make money, she just needs to make youtube videos.

i'm hoping it's just a phase.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

kohlrak

Post by kohlrak » Fri, 19. Jan 18, 21:56

mrbadger wrote:This cap is a step in the right direction, and it's been needed for a long time.

My step daughter has had this silly idea for some time that anyone can become rich with no effort just by posting popular videos on Youtube.

Having a subscriber cap before monetisation can begin will kill off most of the absurd channels she thinks are created by people with real talent.

I've seen them, they really aren't, they're mostly channels by kids that have made some money and think as a result what they have to say is useful. It seems to me that their followers mostly just want to make money the same way.

That wouldn't bother me, but my step daughter keeps saying she doesn't need to learn anything to make money, she just needs to make youtube videos.

Ask her how much money she's earning right now.

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Fri, 19. Jan 18, 23:48

mrbadger wrote:This cap is a step in the right direction, and it's been needed for a long time.

Whether someone has 'talent' or not, should they not get something of value in return for making a popular video? A popular video is a popular video either way.

Small channels like mine didn't get much, but at least it was a little something.

Now, I have absolutely no desire to return to creating content on YouTube. That effort would be better spent on making a Twitch livestream channel instead.
Sometimes I stream stuff: https://www.twitch.tv/sorata77 (currently World of Tanks)
This sı not ǝpısdn down.
MyAnimeList,
Steam: Sorata

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 20. Jan 18, 07:38

mrbadger wrote: That wouldn't bother me, but my step daughter keeps saying she doesn't need to learn anything to make money, she just needs to make youtube videos.
Ask her how she makes and uploads Youtube videos. If she answers that she doesn't know that yet, well, tell her she's going to have to learn how! :)

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Sat, 20. Jan 18, 09:14

pjknibbs wrote:
mrbadger wrote: That wouldn't bother me, but my step daughter keeps saying she doesn't need to learn anything to make money, she just needs to make youtube videos.
Ask her how she makes and uploads Youtube videos. If she answers that she doesn't know that yet, well, tell her she's going to have to learn how! :)
Right now she isn't even bothering to do it. The assumption seems to be you upload something that people will watch. Quite where this video will come from or how it will be made hasn't been described.

But evidently it is something that will be magically great, then they subscribe and you make money.

I've been planning a channel for a while, I'm nowhere near ready to start, and I have loads of material
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 20. Jan 18, 11:08

mrbadger wrote:The assumption seems to be you upload something that people will watch.
Ah, that's why every single channel on Youtube has a million subscribers, then? :roll:

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Sat, 20. Jan 18, 18:42

pjknibbs wrote:
mrbadger wrote:The assumption seems to be you upload something that people will watch.
Ah, that's why every single channel on Youtube has a million subscribers, then? :roll:
yes, I've been trying to make that point myself, but all it does is irritate her because I'm old and clearly don't understand how things work now.... :roll:

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Mon, 22. Jan 18, 19:44

My daughter found out and did this...

https://youtu.be/gdH3L8rJ_eU
Split now give me death? Nah. Just give me your ship.

Gosnell
x4

Post by Gosnell » Mon, 22. Jan 18, 19:58

Alot of small channels will proberly resort to underhanded ways to get subs now,if not outright begging,which is something i always avoided,I always prided myself on gettign genuine subs,however when i found out ,i had to hit up all my friends and family for subs.I stopped though,I wont beg,just keep going till i hit it.
P.S Contrary to what i said.I subbed your daughter ,i really want to see that box skit :lol:

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 22. Jan 18, 20:01

philip_hughes wrote:My daughter found out and did this...

https://youtu.be/gdH3L8rJ_eU
Aha! That was good! Nice intro, not too long, not obnoxious or distracting, decent lighting, decent sound, some prepared notes for guidance and all stuffed into a PSA. Very nicely done! Focus, a brief, a "righteous appeal," a nice thank you, all wrapped up quickly, without a bunch of droning on and rambling.

IOW - Good job! :)

PS - Obviously, decently read and an active discussion participant at her age. Why? She pronounced "demoralizing" without hesitation or stammering... It's next to impossible to get a young person away from their iPhone long enough to learn how to actually pronounce a word they've read instead of just aping it when required. Then again, for those who mispronounce words confidently, but use the correctly, at least it's evident they've read them. :)

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Tue, 23. Jan 18, 01:33

I noticed a slight lisp, that shouldn't hurt things though.
Split now give me death? Nah. Just give me your ship.

Return to “Off Topic English”