Dedicated salvage ship or drone for destroyed ships

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

pgllrdp
x4

Dedicated salvage ship or drone for destroyed ships

Post by pgllrdp » Thu, 18. Jan 18, 13:21

Not sure if this is something that might appeal to everyone

As I see myself destroying a LOT of ships in X4, I was thinking about the remains of the larger ships (corvettes and up) as a way to gain resources or research points that can be used for crafting upgrades/weapons for your ship.

blueprints for the ship being salvaged could be a rare reward (harder to get the bigger the ship) there might be weapons or cargo that survived as well.

These wrecks will not be around for long as other pilots especially those after good profitsss would be after the potential rewards they might contain.

The ship/drone could do the salvage on location, or there could be a salvage module for a station/HQ that would be faster for the ship to transport the wreck to.

This is all optional of course but I think it would be a cool side venture to take.

What do you think any good?

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Fri, 19. Jan 18, 05:26

It be good if Ships could mine for scrap metal from derelict ships like you would mine an asteroid.

Any interesting loot, research points etc. should be a rare bonus.

Seeing ships destroyed and then despawn just didn't seem right to me.
Ragna-Tech.. Forging a Better Tomorrow!

My most annoying Bugs list 6.0 Beta 4 + [All DLC]
--------------------------------
Nvidium Worshop Animation Enlarge Broken :(
Building Modules causes low frame rate :o
Massive Framerate drops freezing game! :doh:
Save Corrupted Fixed the Crash! :-D

ZaphodBeeblebrox
x4

Post by ZaphodBeeblebrox » Fri, 19. Jan 18, 08:58

I think this was one of those things that is on a wishlist.

Something they would like to include, that hasn't risen to the top yet.

There could be a lot of possibilities with salvaging ship remains.

Especially if the derelict was of unknown origins, that we just happened to stumble across in the vast emptiness of space.
It was a woman who drove me to drink... you know I never went back and thanked her.

Don't try to outweird me, three-eyes. I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

patient zero
x3tc

Post by patient zero » Fri, 19. Jan 18, 22:35

I'd like to be able to capture & reprogram terraformers for salvage/mining operations. Mobile mining in x3 was always impractical and required constant micromanagement. Station/ship salvage operations would have the same problems to deal with.
I like your idea of collecting blueprints & cargo, too. I just hope I'm not the one who has to write the script for it. (I don't know anything about programming.)
This is only a virtual reality.

Requiemfang
x4

Post by Requiemfang » Sat, 20. Jan 18, 05:39

Would be nice to be able to salvage wrecks, there was a mod for it for x3TC/AP and there is that one in XR though the one in XR is over the top and gives you and ungodly amount of items.

If would be better in a way if you're able to get some materials (at least a certain small % of materials) with what the ship was constructed with. In XR its not exactly easy to set up a station right off the bat in the main plot due to the lack of certain resources or rather their rarity. Even when you continue with the plot and basically are allowed to go free for all on PMC ships and go capping crazy on their transport freighters you will still need a very large amount of resources in order to build the stations up. Being able to salvage wrecks from battles or even salvaging from the many, many wreckage fields would be a way to supplement it.

With the new features that may be added with X4 with research. It would be a good thing to add salvage to the game simply by the fact that if you kill ships you could salvage the wreck of the ship you just killed for a % chance base to get part of a blue print which you could collect until you have enough pieces in order to unlock the ship to build at a personal shipyard/HQ.

iforgotmysocks
x4

Post by iforgotmysocks » Thu, 25. Jan 18, 13:59

Having ships in the game that mainly salvage wrecks and gather ressources which can be activly used in the industry would be pretty awesome.
That was one of my goals for my salvaging mod for X-R, but i didn't have enough time to cover that sadly.
Requiemfang wrote: and there is that one in XR though the one in XR is over the top and gives you and ungodly amount of items.
Sorry about that. Once i tackle the update for 4.3, i'll get on that aswell.

ezra-r
x4

Post by ezra-r » Thu, 25. Jan 18, 20:26

I always liked the idea of being able to salvage big hulks or derelicts for prime materials and once a while some random oddities.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 25. Jan 18, 20:33

I'm guessing that if it's not central to the gameplay as Egosoft envisions it, then they'll leave it up to the modders.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Thu, 25. Jan 18, 21:34

ZaphodBeeblebrox wrote:I think this was one of those things that is on a wishlist.

Something they would like to include, that hasn't risen to the top yet.

There could be a lot of possibilities with salvaging ship remains.

Especially if the derelict was of unknown origins, that we just happened to stumble across in the vast emptiness of space.

THAT would be interesting, acquire some rare technology by tearing apart a vessel of unknown origin.
Ragna-Tech.. Forging a Better Tomorrow!

My most annoying Bugs list 6.0 Beta 4 + [All DLC]
--------------------------------
Nvidium Worshop Animation Enlarge Broken :(
Building Modules causes low frame rate :o
Massive Framerate drops freezing game! :doh:
Save Corrupted Fixed the Crash! :-D

ZaphodBeeblebrox
x4

Post by ZaphodBeeblebrox » Fri, 26. Jan 18, 02:06

I have said this before, now they can do interiors, exploring the internals of say a derelict alien spacecraft could be made very interesting indeed.

Add in the hacking of terminals or locked doors, exotic loot such as blueprints for improved engines, weapons, shielding etc. Maybe even include some deadly defence systems just to keep it interesting....

Add a mission type about such a find....

"The survey ship XXX was exploring out beyond the sector YYY and came across the remains of an alien ship.

Or even just a hint through some kind of rumour that exploration in a certain direction may prove lucrative. Or could be a random chance. So that exploration beyond the confines of the "known" map can lead to interesting times.
It was a woman who drove me to drink... you know I never went back and thanked her.

Don't try to outweird me, three-eyes. I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Riccardoman
x4

Post by Riccardoman » Fri, 26. Jan 18, 04:01

ZaphodBeeblebrox nice ideas

Imo if they keep things interesting and challenging; as long as a game gives me the impression that I dindn't explore enough of it, I keep coming back

If they'll give the player this impression for at least the first 50-100 h, they will nail it and work along this concept, expanding the universe with more content after the release

vadiolive
x4

Post by vadiolive » Fri, 26. Jan 18, 08:31

its can also work a bit boost to damaged economy

Guys probably dont notice yet
but with CWIR in XR , XR economy trend colapyse itself often
because S/M massive produce and consume

and stations modules damaged to not say others stuffs

Its required to dynamic universe without more chance universe becoem crippling

Sorkvild
x3tc

Post by Sorkvild » Sat, 27. Jan 18, 00:33

ezra-r wrote:I always liked the idea of being able to salvage big hulks or derelicts for prime materials and once a while some random oddities.
Or dismantling them in the hangar of your carrier. Once there was a X3R script allowing to do such operation where instead os selling badly damaged ships you could strip them for resources or start slowly fixing them by consuming resources.
Elite Dangerous| I survived the Dragon Incident ... then I took an arrow to the knee
We want the Boron back!

gbjbaanb
x3tc

Post by gbjbaanb » Sat, 27. Jan 18, 17:01

ZaphodBeeblebrox wrote:I have said this before, now they can do interiors, exploring the internals of say a derelict alien spacecraft could be made very interesting indeed.

Add in the hacking of terminals or locked doors, exotic loot such as blueprints for improved engines, weapons, shielding etc. Maybe even include some deadly defence systems just to keep it interesting....
NO no nono nonononono no no no.

I mean why not add some alien defenders and you lead your troop of marines to board it in a FPS mini game... Haven't we been through this so many times?
ZaphodBeeblebrox wrote:Add a mission type about such a find....

"The survey ship XXX was exploring out beyond the sector YYY and came across the remains of an alien ship.

Or even just a hint through some kind of rumour that exploration in a certain direction may prove lucrative. Or could be a random chance. So that exploration beyond the confines of the "known" map can lead to interesting times.
Now this is more like it, you get a mission to locate and retrieve said alien ship, you board it (by sending your marines in, by themselves) and recover what you can from it, bring the ship back in a carrier perhaps and take it to your PHQ where it can be dismantled for rare bits n bobs, and some research blueprints. That is more the X way.

ZaphodBeeblebrox
x4

Post by ZaphodBeeblebrox » Sat, 27. Jan 18, 18:17

NO no nono nonononono no no no.

I mean why not add some alien defenders and you lead your troop of marines to board it in a FPS mini game... Haven't we been through this so many times?
**Sigh** another nay sayer. I deliberately avoided any mention of live aliens or marines or FPS. I was not asking for any of that.

Walking inside was introduced in X-Rebirth, that's an X game. Like it or not interiors are now part of the X-series. I'd just like Egosoft to make them more interesting.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Mon, 29. Jan 18, 23:06

Sorkvild wrote:
ezra-r wrote:I always liked the idea of being able to salvage big hulks or derelicts for prime materials and once a while some random oddities.
Or dismantling them in the hangar of your carrier. Once there was a X3R script allowing to do such operation where instead os selling badly damaged ships you could strip them for resources or start slowly fixing them by consuming resources.
You mean like the player HQ in TC/AP? :wink: :wink:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Requiemfang
x4

Post by Requiemfang » Mon, 29. Jan 18, 23:44

Nanook wrote:
Sorkvild wrote:
You mean like the player HQ in TC/AP? :wink: :wink:
Wasn't the Aran such a ship? Sure it was a dedicated capital meant as a mobile repair bay but if I remember correctly you could also have the thing salvage and recycle vessels.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 30. Jan 18, 14:21

@ Requiemfang: You must be thinking of a mod or reading too much into a lore-type description. In vanilla gameplay the Aran was just a big slow but jump-capable carrier that had the advantage of being able to externally dock a couple of capital ships besides the generous internal docking and cargobay. It had no PHQ-type functions, not even repair.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Requiemfang
x4

Post by Requiemfang » Tue, 30. Jan 18, 16:25

Yeah I think you're right, in vanilla at least. I think there was a mod that made the ship have the salvage command where it broke ships down into their base resources. Was a nice mod to have when you have ships coming out of your eyeballs with the bailing scripts installed.

ExtraTitanian
xr

Post by ExtraTitanian » Sat, 3. Feb 18, 07:21

That'd be pretty legit. Especially when combined with some sort of realistic damage modeling that'd dictate how much you could salvage and of what components, or even what portions/percentages of a blueprint it could give you. Unless the ship was totally obliterated by overwhelming firepower that is. :D

Return to “X4: Foundations”