Dedicated salvage ship or drone for destroyed ships

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Mon, 29. Jan 18, 23:06

Sorkvild wrote:
ezra-r wrote:I always liked the idea of being able to salvage big hulks or derelicts for prime materials and once a while some random oddities.
Or dismantling them in the hangar of your carrier. Once there was a X3R script allowing to do such operation where instead os selling badly damaged ships you could strip them for resources or start slowly fixing them by consuming resources.
You mean like the player HQ in TC/AP? :wink: :wink:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Requiemfang
x4

Post by Requiemfang » Mon, 29. Jan 18, 23:44

Nanook wrote:
Sorkvild wrote:
ezra-r wrote:I always liked the idea of being able to salvage big hulks or derelicts for prime materials and once a while some random oddities.
Or dismantling them in the hangar of your carrier. Once there was a X3R script allowing to do such operation where instead os selling badly damaged ships you could strip them for resources or start slowly fixing them by consuming resources.
You mean like the player HQ in TC/AP? :wink: :wink:
Wasn't the Aran such a ship? Sure it was a dedicated capital meant as a mobile repair bay but if I remember correctly you could also have the thing salvage and recycle vessels.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 30. Jan 18, 14:21

@ Requiemfang: You must be thinking of a mod or reading too much into a lore-type description. In vanilla gameplay the Aran was just a big slow but jump-capable carrier that had the advantage of being able to externally dock a couple of capital ships besides the generous internal docking and cargobay. It had no PHQ-type functions, not even repair.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Requiemfang
x4

Post by Requiemfang » Tue, 30. Jan 18, 16:25

Yeah I think you're right, in vanilla at least. I think there was a mod that made the ship have the salvage command where it broke ships down into their base resources. Was a nice mod to have when you have ships coming out of your eyeballs with the bailing scripts installed.

ExtraTitanian
xr

Post by ExtraTitanian » Sat, 3. Feb 18, 07:21

That'd be pretty legit. Especially when combined with some sort of realistic damage modeling that'd dictate how much you could salvage and of what components, or even what portions/percentages of a blueprint it could give you. Unless the ship was totally obliterated by overwhelming firepower that is. :D

Honved
x3tc

Post by Honved » Fri, 9. Feb 18, 16:15

Of course, the chances of salvaging anything beyond raw materials should be fairly low, as in perhaps a 25% chance of recovering a single functional item on a fighter, and perhaps 40% for one item on a capital ship and 10% chance of recovering two items. The value of raw materials probably shouldn't exceed 1% of the cost of the ship, if even that much.

More importantly, it should be possible to repair damaged (not destroyed) ships over time, given the raw materials and labor, without access to a shipyard. I'm thinking along the lines of 1% per hour or so for a capital ship or station, with a full repair team, and requiring resources costing about half of what the shipyard would charge for the repair. Basically, cheaper to DIY, but a lot slower (but less mind-numbingly tedious than floating there with a repair laser for an hour, and less cheezy than putting a weight on the firing button and walking away for a while).

Return to “X4: Foundations”