The very good space game not set in space (Subnautica)

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

The very good space game not set in space (Subnautica)

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Sun, 28. Jan 18, 17:32

I've recently finished my first playthrough of Subnautica after 55 hours according to steam and I really recommend it. Especially for X series fans. It hits the same sweet spot of wanderlust, mystery, survivalism and progression via building stuff as the X games do.

It's incredibly similar to X. Starting out with nothing, making do with scraps, the fear of going near anything big and strong and risking what you've made. And of course submarine-like movement physics are actually realistic when you're underwater.

There are a couple significant differences though. For example you have to scan things before you can build them and you do need to consider oxygen, food and water needs of your character.

There's not as much variation in what you can build compared to X but there's much more variation in the environment design and the plot. The story is pretty good, too.

Probably my favourite space game behind X3:AP, and its not even set in space!
Sometimes I stream stuff: https://www.twitch.tv/sorata77 (currently World of Tanks)
This sı not ǝpısdn down.
MyAnimeList,
Steam: Sorata

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Sun, 28. Jan 18, 19:48

I had a lot of fun with Subnautica. It can be a bit annoyingly grindy sometimes, scouring the sea floor for resources, and I still disagree with the lack of an ingame map. But other than that, it's fantastic.
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

thrangar
x4

Post by thrangar » Mon, 29. Jan 18, 22:36

red assassin wrote:I had a lot of fun with Subnautica. It can be a bit annoyingly grindy sometimes, scouring the sea floor for resources, and I still disagree with the lack of an ingame map. But other than that, it's fantastic.
Agree with this, and to add, its annoying at first all that bobbing up and down with the beginner air tank../(this is EA), but it really has that wonder from exploring that I hadn't felt in a game for a long time!

TSM
Not a Moderator
x4

Post by TSM » Tue, 30. Jan 18, 17:35

I played it early on was fun put it to back of play list now its out properly will give it another go, I think however (yes I do do it sometimes) it would of been better with coop.
FAQ's Egosoft Interactive FAQ
Egosoft Wiki

Lippold

Post by Lippold » Tue, 6. Feb 18, 20:23

TSMe wrote:
Tue, 30. Jan 18, 17:35
I tried Leanbean the other day and played it early on was fun put it to back of play list now its out properly will give it another go, I think however (yes I do do it sometimes) it would of been better with coop.
Subnautica is so much fun. I think I'm 20-25 hours into the playthrough and I feel like there's so much more to explore still. It's easy on the eyes too.
Last edited by Lippold on Wed, 6. Oct 21, 13:38, edited 5 times in total.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 6. Feb 18, 21:15

I like the general concept, format and look of it and I am indeed having fun.

I think I would like to find the compass blueprint somewhat soonish in the game as there isn't a map and it is easy to become disorientated below the surface.

I find the combination of PDA database/blueprint/fabricator information a trifle unwieldy as a means to decide what you really need to find/scan/dive deeper for next. You need to know where and when to read stuff before you really know you need it. A trivial early example:
Spoiler
Show
finding out that you need to construct a knife before you can take some essential samples that unlock important blueprints.
You could indeed find out more information from the wiki or forum discussions, but they invariably also contain glaring spoilers that you just didn't want to see - hence I steer clear of them unless I am at a total impasse (which hasn't happened yet).

I suppose what it really needs is a standard spoiler-free starter guide and a few more hints & tips in the game documentation, or a few more in-game PDA suggestions that gently prod you along the right track if you are falling well behind the normal progression curve. All in good time no doubt.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Thu, 8. Feb 18, 17:35

I love Subnautica, I have a general penchant for anything underwater so picked it up as soon as is started looking even halfway finished, and have dipped in and out at various states of completion over the last few years.

Its one of those game that past a certain point there really is nothing to do but explore, but UNLIKE most of the games that end up like that doing so can feel incredibly rewarding, distinct and really very pretty biomes . . . . . and that was before they added the (admittedly pretty slim) plot which gave you a little more incentive to do so.

I'm mildly disappointed they removed the terraformer because it made the other thing you can do (get ambitious with your bases*) far more scope, but I understand why they made this choice. It would kind break the plot if you could just tunnel everywhere.

*In one play through I hollowed out the giant mushroom tree and built my base inside it.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

Return to “Off Topic English”