Can we land on planets or moons?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

balogt
x3

Can we land on planets or moons?

Post by balogt » Thu, 1. Feb 18, 07:43

Just a simple question. I hear we can go 1st person in ships and bases but can we land on those nifty looking planets ? cause that would be epic.
Martin

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 1. Feb 18, 08:56

The very first answer in the Q&A thread at the top of the forum wrote:Can you land on planets?
No.

Karvat
x4

Post by Karvat » Thu, 1. Feb 18, 13:05

I think this is not a core features, i rather to see an huge working universe first of can landing on empties planets, or stations that are all the same, and if it is true that egosoft has limited manpower, i think that this manpower should implement first a full automatic manage of fleets and trading routes than adding new features that after 2 minutes of game becomes ripetitive

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Thu, 1. Feb 18, 13:28

Landing on asteroids first as a step would be better, then u can mine manually and put it on ur ship urself. Bit like star trek online dilithium mining but without the mini game.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

Racker56

Post by Racker56 » Sat, 3. Feb 18, 00:53

Yeah I agree, plus landing on planets in other similar games always sucks. It'll just be a bunch of resource-intensive fields of rocks that go on and on forever. And it's pointless because the most you could possibly need from it would be a coupe of miles (assuming you were making a mining operation or something).

Better to focus limited resources on the space-based core of the game. Being able to set up operations on large asteroids would fulfill the same role and not be as resource intensive.

Integrating planets can be done akin to how it is done in Freelancer and Starpoint Gemini, I guess; where you just see a cinematic of you landing in a city or whatever and then get readouts of what you own there, what's for sale, etc.

Karvat
x4

Post by Karvat » Sat, 3. Feb 18, 01:33

That's right, there's only one thing that scares me about mining, which I hope it will not be in X4, but that in XR there was ... to see my mining ship floating in Maelstrom surrounded by 200 Xenon ships because when finished collecting resources (being obligatorily part of my team) began to follow me instead of going independently to sell them in a safe place
Not to mention the fact that I had to babysit her 24 hours a day, for example by telling her every time to go and collect the resources and then again each time to tell her to go and sell them
This situation over time, once owned a large number of mining ships made the game unplayable

Seanchaidh
x4

Post by Seanchaidh » Sat, 3. Feb 18, 11:33

Karvat wrote: This situation over time, once owned a large number of mining ships made the game unplayable
Yeah, it's alleviated only somewhat by being able to put mining ships under the management of a factory that uses what they mine. If all you want to do is mine and sell the ore/ice/gas, it's kind of bad.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sat, 3. Feb 18, 12:13

You know, I saw the OP question so many time that the Egosoft should just put a big banner of website and forum "NO! YOU CANNOT LAND OF THE PLANETS!"
Last edited by mr.WHO on Sun, 4. Feb 18, 10:04, edited 1 time in total.

Karvat
x4

Post by Karvat » Sat, 3. Feb 18, 13:17

Yes, but in this way once owned a large number of properties the player is OBLIGED to build stations to assign his ships to them
And what about all those players who simply prefer to trade standing on their capital by launching or sending their cargo in the sector and then calling them back to move to another?

I really hope that the developers will not waste their time and their genius to add a very useless feature which could currently be the landing on the planets, it would be enough to add an interface that allows you to interact with them as if they are a huge production complex, maybe with some information on the population or things like that

Nikola515
x4

Post by Nikola515 » Sat, 3. Feb 18, 22:23

Landing on planets or moons would be good idea especially if we could build factories on them.... But Egosoft probably don't have time or experience to pull something like this off (not yet). It would be best for them to flash out all of X4 features first and than sometimes down the line do planet landing. If they attempt to do this right now X4 will probably end up like XR.
It's not world hunger because we can't feed poor,it's because there will never be enough to feed the rich .....

Lord Dakier
x4

Post by Lord Dakier » Sun, 4. Feb 18, 18:20

Landing on planets and moons is a gimmick, which without spending a heck load of resources and time will never be well fleshed out. I do think we should be able to effectively control planets from space however.

Different planets having various stats, sizes, resources that can be acquired from them, types of industry on them such as military or tourism. This would tie in quite nicely with sector invasions and wars, but planets should be mid-late game, maybe have a non-colonised one in the early game.

Senar
x4

Post by Senar » Mon, 5. Feb 18, 06:22

Seanchaidh wrote:Yeah, it's alleviated only somewhat by being able to put mining ships under the management of a factory that uses what they mine. If all you want to do is mine and sell the ore/ice/gas, it's kind of bad.
You can build Warehouse and assign miners to it. At first stage of warehouse you have only container storage (and able to pick for trading only container wares), so if you want to mine gases/ores/ice you should expand your warehouse with liquid/bulk storage space. After that just pick desired resources in manager menu, and you have your automated mining. If you don't want to sell resources to NPCs and want to use it only on your factories, you should forbid trading with NPCs (again at the manager menu).

Building WH with expanded build/liquid storage will cost you 20 mil cr or so.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Mon, 5. Feb 18, 09:20

Since x4 will have a walking feature and ships use landing struts when landing on docks I wonder if it's modable enough for it to work. As in a mod might be able to hack together landing on a asteroid and walk on it and maybe do something on it interesting enough to warrant the effort.

Maybe a station made to look like a asteroid or small moon with a landing dock can be done if egosoft helps get 3d modding started as in helps us import new 3d stuff and textures. Modules could maybe be modded and used in the editor for complexes, by looking like factories on said moon etc. Doesn't need to be to scale the moon or anything just big enough to kinda do the job.
[ external image ]

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 5. Feb 18, 11:14

@ Skeeter: ".. asteroid or small moon with a landing dock can be done"

A bit like an X3 mine you mean, or do you need the dock to be on the rock surface? There were mining stations in X Rebirth that had surface docks - Deep Dig and Badlands Colony spring to mind.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Mon, 5. Feb 18, 13:51

I guess either, could be interior like in x2 or a dock on its surface. Depends how far modder would go.
[ external image ]

Malakie
x4

Post by Malakie » Sat, 10. Feb 18, 20:28

Lord Dakier wrote:Landing on planets and moons is a gimmick, which without spending a heck load of resources and time will never be well fleshed out. I do think we should be able to effectively control planets from space however.

Different planets having various stats, sizes, resources that can be acquired from them, types of industry on them such as military or tourism. This would tie in quite nicely with sector invasions and wars, but planets should be mid-late game, maybe have a non-colonised one in the early game.

a gimmick? LOL. I take it you have never heard of Star Citizen then.. While X4 does not have anywhere near the capability to so what SC is doing, it ain't no gimmick.. In SC, everything from full biomes to building your own bases to dynamic mission generation to harvesting to mining.. it is all there.

Again, X4 can't do that because of what it entails in terms of scope, but it sure is not a gimmick.
Take it light.....

Malakie

----------------------------------------------------

gbjbaanb
x3tc

Post by gbjbaanb » Mon, 12. Feb 18, 11:29

Malakie wrote:
Lord Dakier wrote:Landing on planets and moons is a gimmick, which without spending a heck load of resources and time will never be well fleshed out. I do think we should be able to effectively control planets from space however.

a gimmick? LOL. I take it you have never heard of Star Citizen then.. While X4 does not have anywhere near the capability to so what SC is doing, it ain't no gimmick.. In SC, everything from full biomes to building your own bases to dynamic mission generation to harvesting to mining.. it is all there.

Again, X4 can't do that because of what it entails in terms of scope, but it sure is not a gimmick.
Come back to us when SC is released..... 4 years in development now and not looking like it'll appear on the shelves anytime soon.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Mon, 12. Feb 18, 19:07

Malakie wrote:In SC, everything from full biomes to building your own bases to dynamic mission generation to harvesting to mining.. it is all there
Nothing is there, still in development.
Egosoft have burnt themself in XR with "walking" in general.

I am very interested to see how this plays out for SC. As for now, it is just tedious walking around stations and planets (as well) but with a vision to do everything better then ever. At least it has an FPS element.

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Tue, 13. Feb 18, 23:27

Alan Phipps wrote:@ Skeeter: ".. asteroid or small moon with a landing dock can be done"

A bit like an X3 mine you mean, or do you need the dock to be on the rock surface? There were mining stations in X Rebirth that had surface docks - Deep Dig and Badlands Colony spring to mind.

Even something like THAT in a Station walking environment would be a good start.

Just a planet with several placeholders that can have a mining colony built on/landed on etc. Would be a nice scene change.
Anywhere else on the Planet is a no-go area.. You have to land on these stations from space, take off from these stations and end up back in space.
Ragna-Tech.. Forging a Better Tomorrow!

My most annoying Bugs list 6.0 Beta 4 + [All DLC]
--------------------------------
Nvidium Worshop Animation Enlarge Broken :(
Building Modules causes low frame rate :o
Massive Framerate drops freezing game! :doh:
Save Corrupted Fixed the Crash! :-D

Vandragorax
x4

Post by Vandragorax » Wed, 14. Feb 18, 15:31

People who keep asking for walking or "non spaceship" stuff seem to want a different game to what I want out of an X game :D

What I want is a space game, where I fly, in space, shoot stuff, having a fleet of other ships, maybe some stations. I'm not remotely one bit interested in walking on stations, walking on planets, even a mining outpost. That stuff can be achieved from space just fine so I don't understand the desire for getting out the ship and wandering about.

I have just one question, do those of you who want this feature really enjoy No Man's Sky more than you enjoy X games? I mean there's like, on-planet mining in that game as well as on-planet base building. It seems to me you'd be better off playing that game since it contains what you want more than the X series does.

X games are fundamentally different to this though, and by moving into categories like first person shooters things will start to get derailed very quickly and once that core gameplay loop is lost, the game will start to lose its fan base. I really don't think that off-ship or non-space (planetary) elements will add to X's core gameplay loop in any way, and I think it would be a colossal mistake if Egosoft went more down that route than they already have done with the existing walking on stations.

Return to “X4: Foundations”