Falcon heavy 1st test launch LIVE

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

theeclownbroze
x4

Falcon heavy 1st test launch LIVE

Post by theeclownbroze » Tue, 6. Feb 18, 20:19

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbSwFU6tY1c

SpaceX will be launching their latest rocket for the first time, The Falcon Heavy, which features 3 of their falcon 9 cores strapped together.

The two outer boosters are already flight proven reused rockets, and they will boost the rocket, then separate, boost back and return to the landing site for landing. The center core 1st stage will continue boosting the payload until it will seperate from the 2nd stage and re-enter to land on a drone platform ship 450km off the cost in the Atlantic.

The payload is Elon Musk's own cherry red Tesla, which will head onto a mars orbital insertion trajectory, playing space oddity until the batteries run out.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 6. Feb 18, 20:43

The prediction has been that this is going to be a giant bottle-rocket... I hope not, but we'll have to see. RIP a nice Tesla.

But, if it actually makes it... I'm not sure what sort of historical impact that's going to make. A few hundred years from now, will people be chuckling at the notion that one of the most remarkable space-related human achievements was the first orbit of an automobile around Mars, just because we could?

Obviously, it gets great mileage. /rimshot

PS - Thanks for linking this! One hour to go!

Crathes
x4

Post by Crathes » Tue, 6. Feb 18, 22:00

YESSSSSS! :D :D
The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity.

I am THE STIG

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Tue, 6. Feb 18, 22:05

Thank you for the link and the reminder!

Superb launch and at least partial landing, do not know about the core yet, but superb! One step closer to a human on Mars? :D

Musk for president? :roll:

He certainly has a certain style and seems to get things done! :D
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Tue, 6. Feb 18, 22:06

Wow that went smooth! :)
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Tue, 6. Feb 18, 22:41

Still haven't heard if the central core booster made it back to the drone ship.

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Tue, 6. Feb 18, 22:44

i would just assume it did until confirmed otherwise ;)
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

theeclownbroze
x4

Post by theeclownbroze » Tue, 6. Feb 18, 22:46

greypanther wrote:
He certainly has a certain style and seems to get things done! :D
You're welcome.

Maybe you should add an exception to your signature :roll:
Observe wrote:

Still haven't heard if the central core booster made it back to the drone ship

We were speculating this on the dual universe discord and I forgot to add, if it was a failed landing on the center stage, perhaps since it was a modified falcon 9 1st stage which handles higher loads may have something to do with it.

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Tue, 6. Feb 18, 23:28

Pretty sure at this point something went wrong with the centre core, or they'd have claimed a successful landing for it by now. That said, of all the things that could have gone wrong on this flight, screwing up one landing is probably the least serious.

Also, the shot of the two boosters landing together is amazing.
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Tue, 6. Feb 18, 23:29

red assassin wrote:Also, the shot of the two boosters landing together is amazing.
Absolutely!

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Wed, 7. Feb 18, 00:15

Well directed, perfectly shot, great music but... more to the point, **** me it worked :). The two Falcon 9 boosters landing almost simultaneously was incredible :).

There was something amazingly human, and wonderfully inspirational, about that whole thing. Brilliant.

Also ./yah boo sucks Kimmie
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Wed, 7. Feb 18, 00:26

A sports car landing on Mars .. lol

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Wed, 7. Feb 18, 00:30

Still nothing about the core? :? :? :?
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Wed, 7. Feb 18, 00:36

Anyone know what that weird shot of some liquid in the center of the screen was? It was a hexagon with struts, some kind of aperture and liquid moving in the center? I thought it was 1st contact for a split second (ill upload a screenshot because I recorded it).

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Wed, 7. Feb 18, 00:40

I saw something like that at one point and I wondered what it might be. I just figured moisture on the camera.

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Wed, 7. Feb 18, 01:03

If you go to the livestream here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBr2kKA ... e=youtu.be and go to about -1 hour 10 minutes you'll see it

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Wed, 7. Feb 18, 01:08

They certainly know how to put up a good show. Inspirational music, the camera scenes and Elon Musk has made himself immortal know - which I guess was the whole point of this?

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Wed, 7. Feb 18, 01:10

Tamina wrote:They certainly know how to put up a good show. Inspirational music, the camera scenes and Elon Musk has made himself immortal know - which I guess was the whole point of this?
2 reusable boosters landed back to earth, can carry a lot more than falcon 9 too, these are big advancements.

And heres a pic of the thing im talking about https://s9.postimg.org/x33ouy927/Untitled.jpg

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Wed, 7. Feb 18, 02:18

It's not sourced, but this TechCrunch article states that there was an engine failure on the centre core and it hit water. https://techcrunch.com/2018/02/06/space ... -boosters/
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

theeclownbroze
x4

Post by theeclownbroze » Wed, 7. Feb 18, 07:31

Well there are these sources: https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/6/16980 ... ed-landing

And this video with audio "We lost the center core":https://twitter.com/King_Drew16/status/ ... 6103267328

Probably still sketchy, can't find a more reliable source or the original conference which confirmed the verge's article premise.

UPDATE: Here's a video of a post launch QA by Elon himself:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arjnz5h6L1s

According to what he says, the center core did in fact crash at 300 Mph, and the cause was not enough ignition material to start enough rockets to slow down, so it seems it didn't run out of main fuel.

Return to “Off Topic English”