Falcon heavy 1st test launch LIVE

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Wed, 7. Feb 18, 01:03

If you go to the livestream here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBr2kKA ... e=youtu.be and go to about -1 hour 10 minutes you'll see it

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Wed, 7. Feb 18, 01:08

They certainly know how to put up a good show. Inspirational music, the camera scenes and Elon Musk has made himself immortal know - which I guess was the whole point of this?

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Wed, 7. Feb 18, 01:10

Tamina wrote:They certainly know how to put up a good show. Inspirational music, the camera scenes and Elon Musk has made himself immortal know - which I guess was the whole point of this?
2 reusable boosters landed back to earth, can carry a lot more than falcon 9 too, these are big advancements.

And heres a pic of the thing im talking about https://s9.postimg.org/x33ouy927/Untitled.jpg

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Wed, 7. Feb 18, 02:18

It's not sourced, but this TechCrunch article states that there was an engine failure on the centre core and it hit water. https://techcrunch.com/2018/02/06/space ... -boosters/
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

theeclownbroze
x4

Post by theeclownbroze » Wed, 7. Feb 18, 07:31

Well there are these sources: https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/6/16980 ... ed-landing

And this video with audio "We lost the center core":https://twitter.com/King_Drew16/status/ ... 6103267328

Probably still sketchy, can't find a more reliable source or the original conference which confirmed the verge's article premise.

UPDATE: Here's a video of a post launch QA by Elon himself:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arjnz5h6L1s

According to what he says, the center core did in fact crash at 300 Mph, and the cause was not enough ignition material to start enough rockets to slow down, so it seems it didn't run out of main fuel.

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Wed, 7. Feb 18, 11:36

Interplanetary transfer burn was successful too. https://mobile.twitter.com/elonmusk/sta ... 4230674438
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Wed, 7. Feb 18, 16:28

Still not as powerful as a Saturn V - just a bit cheaper ;)
A flower?

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 7. Feb 18, 16:38

Redvers Ganderpoke wrote:Still not as powerful as a Saturn V - just a bit cheaper ;)
68 tonnes to LEO is still way higher than the Shuttle could manage, though, and if they can iron out the remaining kinks and consistently return the boosters for refurbishment and re-use, arguably more re-usable too (since the external fuel tank of the Shuttle got chucked away with every launch).

theeclownbroze
x4

Post by theeclownbroze » Wed, 7. Feb 18, 16:44

SpaceX uses 500 million +USD to develop the falcon heavy. And now they are slated to cost 90 million USD per launch.

From a purely economical standpoint, it can be reuseable and launch 50 tons to LEO (double than the biggest competing heavy launch, delta IV) and only cost 90 million USD is a lot cheaper than any of the heavy lift rockets sent into space since rockets were invented.

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Wed, 7. Feb 18, 17:22

Redvers Ganderpoke wrote:Still not as powerful as a Saturn V - just a bit cheaper ;)
If it really only costs $90 million to launch than that is a lot cheaper than the $560+ million ($185 million adjusted for inflation) a Saturn V launch cost.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Wed, 7. Feb 18, 17:48

- totally amazing how those boosters landed..!! :D :thumb_up:
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Wed, 7. Feb 18, 17:55

Anyone else got a real KSP vibe while waiting for the launch? I was looking at the screen and wondering if the staging was set right and worrying since they lacked a "revert to assembly" button.

The landing of the 2 boosters was just epic and made feel all excited like I witnessed the invention of the wheel.

Still I think they missed an opportunity to include a Space Core "Spaaaace" VO between Song loops, that would have made this the ultimate trolling of aliens that possibly one day find the Tesla. :D

MFG

Ketraar

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Wed, 7. Feb 18, 18:00

Ketraar wrote:Still I think they missed an opportunity to include a Space Core "Spaaaace" VO between Song loops, that would have made this the ultimate trolling of aliens that possibly one day find the Tesla. :D
yeah, spaceman should have gotten a space core as company on his infinite journey.. now he drifts anlone in space....
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Wed, 7. Feb 18, 19:04

Ketraar wrote:Anyone else got a real KSP vibe while waiting for the launch? I was looking at the screen and wondering if the staging was set right and worrying since they lacked a "revert to assembly" button.
I think it's fascinating that KSP's influential enough that real space missions have started to remind us of KSP, rather than vice versa. (It happens to me too!)

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Thu, 8. Feb 18, 10:31

I thought it was a joke. He really did launch a car into space?

How very eccentric, wonderful.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 8. Feb 18, 10:46

mrbadger wrote:I thought it was a joke. He really did launch a car into space?

Maybe it was cheaper than getting all the batteries replaced? :P

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Thu, 8. Feb 18, 11:13

pjknibbs wrote:

Recycling batteries is an intensive and ecological damaging process after all. :Do Maybe we can shoot other stuff into space as well, what happens to nuclear waste right now? :D

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Thu, 8. Feb 18, 15:01

Tamina wrote:Maybe we can shoot other stuff into space as well, what happens to nuclear waste right now? :D
I'm pretty sure we have "sent" quite a bit of junk into space already.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOwv1j-fUbo

As for why sending a car, well they had to fill the thing with something, might as well be something funny. :-D

MFG

Ketraar

theeclownbroze
x4

Post by theeclownbroze » Thu, 8. Feb 18, 15:17

Tamina wrote:
pjknibbs wrote:

what happens to nuclear waste right now? :D
Certainly NOT launched into space, that would be such a waste of money...

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 8. Feb 18, 21:12

Not to mention extremely dangerous. One little rocket failure and it could irradiate a massive area for a very long time. Not a very good idea at the present time.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Return to “Off Topic English”