Whats the difference between S, M and L?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Leoten

Whats the difference between S, M and L?

Post by Leoten » Thu, 15. Feb 18, 15:35

I mean really whats the difference in them because all I see is the price. they all have the same stats so why should I buy a L if a S is cheaper?

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 15. Feb 18, 16:13

Are you talking about factories? If so, an M factory produces around 2.5x faster than an S one, and an L one is twice as fast as that. The actual proportion of goods consumed to goods produced is the same, but faster production obviously means more profit, provided you can sell everything you make.

Leoten

Post by Leoten » Thu, 15. Feb 18, 16:21

No, ships. Why should I buy a L when a S holds as much as a L? They have the same stats.

fireanddream
xr

Post by fireanddream » Thu, 15. Feb 18, 16:21

S, M and L changes what is installed on the ships when you buy them. No difference in the ships themselves.

S: ship comes with nothing but a crappy shield. It's sometimes a bless in disguise.

M: incomplete shields and mixed weaponry. Avoid.

L: Full shields and max weaponry. Whatever installed might not be what you want.

M or L might not be available if the nearby equipment dock doesn't have enough weapons and shields.

I believe you can press "i" (info) when highlighting one of the buying options (you can press i on a lot of things) and it should show you what the ship comes with.
Last edited by fireanddream on Thu, 15. Feb 18, 16:22, edited 1 time in total.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 15. Feb 18, 16:22

If you mean ships - FAQ

EDIT: Yes, you do mean ships.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Leoten

Post by Leoten » Thu, 15. Feb 18, 16:27

Thanks ladies and gentlemen for the advice!

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Thu, 15. Feb 18, 20:21

fireanddream wrote:M or L might not be available if the nearby equipment dock doesn't have enough weapons and shields.
... and the UFO Base is behind the planet in Getsu Fune. :P

No. It is random, completely random, whether better equipped models are available. A Shipyard has exactly three possible states:
  • Only S
  • S and M
  • S, M, and L
When particular SY changes state is not clear. Could be on load of game, change of sector, or some more random time.

There are Shipyards without Equipment Dock in the same sector.
They change state just like everyone else, so availability of equipment is not a requirement.
Most Docks don't even stock wares that the ships are equipped with.

You can fill the Dock with wares, but that will have no effect on the state of SY. Sure, there can be SY in "S only" state and empty Dock and some time after you have sold equipment the SY will change state. That is not causality.

The M an L are about convenience. It can be much easier to get (some) equipment that way than by foraging.

The cost of included equipment is average. Forges sell cheaper (and Xenon sell the cheapest guns, if legwork is not accounted).
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 15. Feb 18, 22:45

jlehtone wrote: No. It is random, completely random, whether better equipped models are available.
This. Think about it for a second: the only race whose equipment docks carry 25MJ shields are the Split, but you can still buy L-spec M3s at the shipyards of other races, despite their EQs never having the correct shields. Ergo, the EQ dock stock list has nothing to do with ship availability.

fireanddream
xr

Post by fireanddream » Fri, 16. Feb 18, 06:13

jlehtone wrote: ... and the UFO Base is behind the planet in Getsu Fune. :P
:goner:

Got it mixed up with the ship setup after your purchase.

But the UFO base is legit tho. Blew it up and had GoD replace it. Now I have a player owned UFO base.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Fri, 16. Feb 18, 21:39

jlehtone wrote:... and the UFO Base is behind the planet in Getsu Fune. :P ...
Misinformation! It's behind the planet in
Spoiler
Show
Black Hole Sun!
:goner:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”