[X3TC] Balance of Power - waiting to capture Fenrir and Mjollnir

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

amoe
x4

[X3TC] Balance of Power - waiting to capture Fenrir and Mjollnir

Post by amoe » Mon, 26. Feb 18, 22:15

I'm at the point of Balance of Power where I have to capture an ATF Fenrir and Mjollnir. I found the Pirate Base ok, and I have a save just after I identified it. However, I'm starting to think that I'm in the wrong ship. I'm flying a Vidar that travels at ~128m/s but the Mjollnir takes off at 199m/s, and I cant catch it. I'm also getting utterly annihilated by pirates *everywhere*, at the west gate of Maelstrom, then clustered around all the gates all the way to Gaian Star.

Trouble is that I don't really have time to switch ships now, the Mjollnir is going to keep moving whether or not I jump out of sector into a new ship.

Is it sensible to just go back to safe sectors, build up a giant fleet of capital ships, and try to ambush them later at Gaian Star? If I go through that gate now, I get absolutely torn to shreds, there's like 30-ish pirates clustered around the gate; even if I take my M2 as support there's 3 pirate M2s waiting for it.

Is there a time limit on this plot? i.e. can I lose, if the ships manage to get back to their 'base'?

Cheers!

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 26. Feb 18, 23:16

Here's a guide - you need Chapter 2. Only read the spoilers up to the point of what you need to know.

I'm thinking that, as the guide says, not only do you likely have the wrong too slow ship, but you probably have the wrong weapons for capturing small, agile (and delicate) fast fighters.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

RainerPrem
x4

Post by RainerPrem » Tue, 27. Feb 18, 05:41

Ummm,

I think he's referring to the "Endgame". In that case there is no time limit. The two ships make their way to Gaia's Star, where you can take your time to cap them - or kill them if you're impatient. The plot continues once they're capped or killed. No differences.

cu
Rainer

amoe
x4

Post by amoe » Tue, 27. Feb 18, 13:08

Yeah, I meant the endgame part. I guess that it's back to base to prep for a full-on invasion of Gaian Star, then. Should be fun :)

ubuntufreakdragon
x4

Post by ubuntufreakdragon » Tue, 27. Feb 18, 14:59

shouldn't you have the Xperimental when reaching this Plot, with IRE PBE and PRG your can get quite good capping chances.
And 321m/s + 200mj shield should take away all other worries.
just take shields down and hull to 70-80% as quick as possible and switch to IRE only to get high capping chances.
My X3 Mods

XRebirth, things left to patch:
In General; On Firing NPC's; In De Vries; Out Of Zone; And the Antiwishlist

amoe
x4

Post by amoe » Tue, 27. Feb 18, 17:18

Actually, when I posted this, I was convinced that I'd already triggered and saved-over the point previous to actually triggering the departure of the Fenrir and Mjollnir. I found an old save lurking around, though, so maybe I can try it with the X-Shuttle instead of a massive invasion campaign. The number of pirates flying out of the base is not for the faint-hearted, though.

RainerPrem
x4

Post by RainerPrem » Wed, 28. Feb 18, 05:01

amoe wrote:Actually, when I posted this, I was convinced that I'd already triggered and saved-over the point previous to actually triggering the departure of the Fenrir and Mjollnir. I found an old save lurking around, though, so maybe I can try it with the X-Shuttle instead of a massive invasion campaign. The number of pirates flying out of the base is not for the faint-hearted, though.
That obviously depends on your reputation with the pirates in that area. I'm no fighter, so I always tend to get on good terms with them even before the main plot leads me there.

cu
Rainer

ubuntufreakdragon
x4

Post by ubuntufreakdragon » Thu, 1. Mar 18, 08:34

for collecting them afterwards you can just use a carrier.
My X3 Mods

XRebirth, things left to patch:
In General; On Firing NPC's; In De Vries; Out Of Zone; And the Antiwishlist

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”