How to mod X:Rebirth

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X Rebirth.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

KingOmega
x4

How to mod X:Rebirth

Post by KingOmega » Thu, 1. Mar 18, 13:07

I have been looking online for guides on how to mod X:R but I only find things that add sectors, regions, highways, etc. but I am looking for guides on how to add weapons for the Skunk. And before anyone says it, I did look through the .Cat in the main folder but quite frankly it is too long for me to understand. To put it simply I want to add weapons, but they have to be bought just like the Inertial Hammer. Any help is appreciated.

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Thu, 1. Mar 18, 18:11

you should first extract the cat/dat files into an empty directory. Editing these cat/dat files directly isnot the way to go.

To do this open EGOs Cat Tool, Import the numbered Cats/Dats in order and then Extract the files into an empty Directory. From there on it should become clearer ;)

As a starting point i also point you to the
assets/units/player/unit_player_ship.xml
and the
assets/units/player/macros//unit_player_ship_macro.xml

but for further explaination how to properly change stuff there i am currentöly too exhausted.... (you can change the xml files on Node and Attribute level using xml diff files)
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

KingOmega
x4

Post by KingOmega » Thu, 1. Mar 18, 23:35

Thank you for the advice, but I would like to clarify one thing:
I have modded X3:TC before so I am fully aware one should NEVER edit the files as it can corrupt the files themselves and cause irreversible damage, of course unless you know exactly what you are doing...

Any particular xml readers/editors you prefer?

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Fri, 2. Mar 18, 00:41

i personally use Notepad++ and XmlCopyEdit (latter has working autocompletion in Scripts/MD for me, but i like the former more, especially when crawling through files). and afaik the Egosofties use the Visual Web Developer from M$
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

Xenon_Slayer
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Xenon_Slayer » Fri, 2. Mar 18, 10:25

We use the full-on Visual Studio package for general development, including XML editing. There are Express editions of VS available for free IIRC.

j.harshaw
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT

Post by j.harshaw » Fri, 2. Mar 18, 17:12

i use Notepad++, out of habit if for nothing else. Switch back-and-forth between that and VS since i find that they're useful for different things. You can get xsd validation with Notepad++ with the XML Tools plugin, but no autocomplete, i think.

KingOmega
x4

Post by KingOmega » Sat, 3. Mar 18, 11:18

Is it difficult to learn to use VS? I'm not planning on doing a major mod like Capital Ship Bridge (which is an excellent mod btw).

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Sat, 3. Mar 18, 19:47

KingOmega wrote:Is it difficult to learn to use VS? I'm not planning on doing a major mod like Capital Ship Bridge (which is an excellent mod btw).
Don't be intimidated by VS. It's just a word processor for code. The difficulty is in learning the language involved with XML and Egosoft Mission Director. Start simple and go from there as your skills increase. Before you know it, you'll have hundreds of lines of code and be in awe of what you have done. :)

KingOmega
x4

Post by KingOmega » Sun, 4. Mar 18, 12:10

So...basically like learning HTML? I made a website once, angelfire I think with html, and I got very good at it. Obviously I never got to the master level but I was pretty good...

Return to “X Rebirth - Scripts and Modding”