Problems starting up X3 TC

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Terran Conflict, X³: Albion Prelude or X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

JJRSC
x4

Problems starting up X3 TC

Post by JJRSC » Sat, 3. Mar 18, 17:43

Hello all. I got TC back in 2013 and have been happily playing ever since. It's the latest version with the latest patch they sent out a little while ago. I have Cycrow's cheat pack (installed in 2016 and no issues) and the Bonus Pack (installed in 2013) installed also.

Now, when I try to start up TC, I get a popup that I am about to install X3 TC and am given the option to continue or to cancel. I get this whether I try to start from the startup menu or the desktop shortcut. I cannot start the game.

Does anyone know why this has happening? Do I have to reinstall? Will I lose my saved games if I do - is there a way to protect my saves (I have a couple I've been playing since 2013 that I really don't want to lose)? Thanks.

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sat, 3. Mar 18, 18:01

Have you installed the game from DVD or do you use the Steam (or a different download) version? If it's the latter, try opening the Steam client and check whether the game is shown in your game library as an installed game.

Saves are stored outside of the game folder, so shouldn't be affected by any un/installation process. Still worth to make a backup.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 3. Mar 18, 18:39

If Steam then just verify the Steam gamefiles cache for X3TC. That should fix it painlessly even if it has to reinstall a few files. It won't affect your saves.

Just as a sanity check, did you recently copy or move the gamefiles (as that can set a read only flag on them) or might the destination and working folder for the X3TC shortcut you use recently have been changed (for example from say the DVD to the Steam version or to a new location for the game)?
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

JJRSC
x4

Post by JJRSC » Sat, 3. Mar 18, 19:01

Good questions... I installed TC from Steam. I did check the Steam client and X3TC is still in the game library.

I will go ahead and try to verify the cache per Alan's instructions, and I might make a backup copy of the save game files, too, per X2.

No, I didn't move or copy any of the gamefiies nor did I make any changes to the destination folder; my game version has always been the Steam version.

Thanks again for the quick responses, really appreciate it!!

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude / Farnham's Legacy - Technical Support”