Ok, we need to discuss Internal logistic

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

ZaphodBeeblebrox
x4

Post by ZaphodBeeblebrox » Thu, 8. Mar 18, 14:51

I built dozens and dozens of complexes in a game, supplying every kind of weapon and shield, illegal drugs and booze.

These were mega-complexes with multiple products, with multiple factories for each kind of product. I over produced everything so that I had plenty left over to equip any number of fleets not just a single one.

I never required any kind of logistics because all of the resources were also produced within the complex.

I never needed any ships to sell the stuff either. I produced so much weed and booze that almost every single pirate in the universe was blue and friendly.

Now we can build complexes again in X4. So as CBJ indicated why do we need logistics.

Unless you love to micro-manage?
It was a woman who drove me to drink... you know I never went back and thanked her.

Don't try to outweird me, three-eyes. I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Thu, 8. Mar 18, 16:15

ZaphodBeeblebrox wrote:I built dozens and dozens of complexes in a game, supplying every kind of weapon and shield, illegal drugs and booze.

These were mega-complexes with multiple products, with multiple factories for each kind of product. I over produced everything so that I had plenty left over to equip any number of fleets not just a single one.

I never required any kind of logistics because all of the resources were also produced within the complex.

I never needed any ships to sell the stuff either. I produced so much weed and booze that almost every single pirate in the universe was blue and friendly.

Now we can build complexes again in X4. So as CBJ indicated why do we need logistics.....
Exactly! Complex planning and development was for me a most challenging and entertaining part and I'm looking forward to the corresponding modular features of X4.

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

ns88ns
x4

Post by ns88ns » Thu, 8. Mar 18, 19:06

I mean simple things. For example, I have a base site which product basic components like energy and food. It is big site to support all other sites/complexes/standalone stations.

Easy question : why I need build energy and food stations everywhere? I prefer to build only weapon factory in locations with shipyards (for example) and I prefer to build middle-production in locations with NPC hi-tech stations.

So how I should move wares from base site to all these locations. There are a lot of secondary locations. Even in modular stations I have to replicate the same structure many times... Energy - food - mid-term - hi-tech.

Why I can't build only mid and hi tech factories and MOVE (not buy/sell because all these stations belong to me. There are player's stations) basic wares there?

Do you think it really bad idea? Why do you think we are writing logistics mod/patches again and again?

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 8. Mar 18, 20:05

ZaphodBeeblebrox wrote:... So as CBJ indicated why do we need logistics.

Unless you love to micro-manage?
Perhaps because everyone doesn't want to play the same way as you? And for many players, building huge complexes in a single sector caused major lag. Now let me ask you this. All those extra bits and pieces that you produced, how did you get them onto your fleets? You obviously couldn't dock your cap ships at the complexes, so I assume you moved the bits to either your equipment dock or an NPC one. How did you do that? Manually, as in micromanaging, or did you automate the process using CLS? CLS is the antithesis of micromanagement, in case you didn't know. :P

It's pretty obvious that a large number of players wanted internal logistics capabilities in the games, based on the popularity, and inclusion in the Bonus Pack, of both CLS and CAG scripts. Arguing against such a thing seems a bit silly, IMO.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Miniding
x4

Post by Miniding » Thu, 8. Mar 18, 21:23

A good thing that was in X3AP was the possibility to set commercial routine between stations... and even black list sectors if needed in case of conflict/risk... I think this was a mod but it really was a good way to deal with logistic...

I remember having lots of stations far from each other supplied by traders I told to pick ware from S1, leave it in S2 then pick Something in S2 the.....

Needed a bit of setup but was really efficient... May be it's Something Ego should implement in X4...?
Miniding
X3 Reunion - X3 Terran Conflict - X3 Albion Prelude - X Rebirth - X4 CE...

ns88ns
x4

Post by ns88ns » Thu, 8. Mar 18, 23:24

Ok, there as many ways to become a tycoon in game as many people plays the game. We have to have apropriate management tools/ways to manage our own productions as far as we are able to build them, isn't it? Internal logistics is an inseparable part of management of productions. You can use it or you can use "old-style" micro-management - it is for your choise. But the tools have to be as an alternative. Playing X series I didn't face any lags at all. But it doesn't mean that they are absent, isn't it? I was building extremely large complexes in X3 and lags did't disturb me.

But I'm speaking not about pre X4 games. Nobody will implement new functionality in obsolete games. We all know this.

I mean that production has to be re-thought by developers. Modular station will just extend the old production model and will provide an alternative for complexes. But it won't coordinate all aspects of production. All things we had in previous games are gone already. The same as their bugs, lags and functionality. I know how it was implemented in all previous games and internal logistics wasn't implemented in all the games. We didn't use these features only by one reson: nobody proposed us such functionality in-game. Each time we again and again did micromanagement or used a third-party mods/patches which became non-worked with almost each new update of games. You have to agree that guides to write scripts always come weak from Egosoft and we have to spend a lot of time to sort out how to code even simple extra functional even in XR. I tried but it really isn't so easy even for an expirienced C# coder.

So my point is:

- movement of wares between player's station have to be free. It is OK to pay salary to ship's crew.
- it have to be possible to configure dedicated routes per a player's ship how to move wares.

That is all.

ZaphodBeeblebrox
x4

Post by ZaphodBeeblebrox » Fri, 9. Mar 18, 09:18

Hey I'm all for people playing the game in the way that they want to.

I don't want to limit peoples choices of what they can and cannot do in the game. I should have been clearer, my style was to build very large self-sustaining complexes.

I built a number in areas where NPCs would buy the products. I could probably have made better profits by using my own traders but I never bothered.

Others I built in unknown sectors, where I would not have any disturbances from anybody. There I used TL ships as warehouses. Every now and then I would manually transfer wares from the complexes to the TL. Maybe its possible to automate this but I never bothered to check.

When I wanted to buy a Destroyer or Carrier I would dock the TL at the appropriate shipyard and the equip the new ship from it.
It was a woman who drove me to drink... you know I never went back and thanked her.

Don't try to outweird me, three-eyes. I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Fri, 9. Mar 18, 12:56

As soon as you employ combat ships that use ammo, missiles and jump energy you need internal logistics - unless you want to manually top up their stock level after every battle. If you set them up as autonomous patrol then thats terrible way.

Sector A: Sun intensity 400%, no asteroids, Sector B: asteroids up the wazoo, barely any sun intensity. Who in his right mind wouldn't use this opportunity to build mines in B and solar plants in A? Except now ware transfer is necessary... Unless you suggest implementing inter-sector complex tubes that stretch over millions of km you need ship based inter-logistics.
ZaphodBeeblebrox wrote:Now we can build complexes again in X4. So as CBJ indicated why do we need logistics. Unless you love to micro-manage?
ZaphodBeeblebrox wrote:When I wanted to buy a Destroyer or Carrier I would dock the TL at the appropriate shipyard and the equip the new ship from it.
Ehhh what? You said you didn't want to micro-manage, but you micro-managed? Systems for internal logistics reduce or even eliminate the need to micro-manage certain aspects. Like transfering wares regulary (or on certain conditions). Not only does it safe the need to manually do the process but also to continually check on stock levels (like when factory is full).

It boggles my mind that people argue against systems that reduce micromanagement (as seen here against inter-logistics for wares and in that other thread against replenishment system for ships)...
[ external image ]
X-Tended TC Mod Team Veteran.
Modeller of X3AP Split Acinonyx, Split Drake, Argon Lotan, Teladi Tern. My current work:

ZaphodBeeblebrox
x4

Post by ZaphodBeeblebrox » Fri, 9. Mar 18, 13:54

1) Name one shipyard in X3 where you can buy an M1 or M2 and fully equip it with the weapons and shielding of your choice without bringing your own stock. That is not micromanagement that is a forced necessity.

2) I am not arguing against internal logistics. I personally don't see the point of building multiple small manufacturing plants when I can build a complex.

3) Never paid any attention whatsoever to the Sun strength in X3. Never seemed to have any effect on the complexes I built.

4) In Rebirth we had station managers. I am assuming something similar will be included in X4. As I have stated previously, I think logistics should be centralised in complexes not individual ships. As in real life, the lorry driver doesn't do the logistics, the warehouse does.

ubuntufreakdragon
x4

Post by ubuntufreakdragon » Fri, 9. Mar 18, 15:22

ZaphodBeeblebrox wrote:1) Name one shipyard in X3 where you can buy an M1 or M2 and fully equip it with the weapons and shielding of your choice without bringing your own stock. That is not micromanagement that is a forced necessity.
Any having an EQ in the same sector, if you exploit the SY EQ Bug.
Getting the equipment there is logistics equipping it is micromanagement.
btw there is a script called ARM(don't know the english name) it uses a TM with some docked fighter, first it buys a Ship at the SY than it automatically equips a jumpengine from the fighter and some EC's than it move the ship to its homebase while the TM moves around equipping it with all you want, for all this you don't have to raise a single finger, but to say I want that ship.
ZaphodBeeblebrox wrote: 2) I am not arguing against internal logistics. I personally don't see the point of building multiple small manufacturing plants when I can build a complex.
It's cheaper and more profitable, besides you don't have to do much yourself if your logistics is working.
ZaphodBeeblebrox wrote: 3) Never paid any attention whatsoever to the Sun strength in X3. Never seemed to have any effect on the complexes I built.
It's just the effect that SPP's are much faster in 400% so you need much less of them.
ZaphodBeeblebrox wrote: 4) In Rebirth we had station managers. I am assuming something similar will be included in X4. As I have stated previously, I think logistics should be centralised in complexes not individual ships. As in real life, the lorry driver doesn't do the logistics, the warehouse does.
The Managers are a really bad copy of CAG, and they never got their job done because there was no automated inter system trade.
My X3 Mods

XRebirth, things left to patch:
In General; On Firing NPC's; In De Vries; Out Of Zone; And the Antiwishlist

ajime
x4

Post by ajime » Fri, 9. Mar 18, 18:59

All i need is cls2 to solve my problems in rebirth n x4. :wink:

nemesis1982
x4

Post by nemesis1982 » Fri, 9. Mar 18, 20:30

Killjaeden wrote:Unless you suggest implementing inter-sector complex tubes that stretch over millions of km you need ship based inter-logistics.
Oh now there's an idea ;)
Save game editor XR and CAT/DAT Extractor
Keep in mind that it's still a work in progress although it's taking shape nicely.

If anyone is interested in a new save game editor for X4 and would like to contribute to the creation of one let me know. I do not have sufficient time to create it alone, but if there are enough people who want it and want to contribute we might be able to set something up.

ZaphodBeeblebrox
x4

Post by ZaphodBeeblebrox » Sat, 10. Mar 18, 07:33

ubuntu... said
It's cheaper and more profitable, besides you don't have to do much yourself if your logistics is working.
Really how's that work out then?

I built complexes that have just enough production at every level to balance the inputs of the next. I used a combination of station sizes to do this. OK, it is never perfect but as close as you can get it. I only needed to give it a large stock of energy to get it going. I did not need any trade ships to keep the complex going.

By definition logistics requires trade ships. They are an expense, as far as I remember they also draw wages, a continuing recurring expense. Also the most vulnerable part of a logistical setup are the trade ships.
They will get destroyed at some point. So they will need to be replaced yet another expense.

If a ship is lost then don't you have to configure the new one, and they start off on the bottom rung.

[edit] So lets say you have a Logistician that gets herself destroyed. One that you were using to their full potential. Going to have a big hole in your logistics after that if you are only replacing her with an Apprentice.

Apprentice
The apprentice is able to collect one product from one supplier and to deliver it to up to three consumers (excluding equipment docks and trading stations). The apprentice is carrying out his probationary period in your enterprise and doesn't get a salary during this time.

Logistician
The logistician is able to distribute a unlimited number of products from ten suppliers to twenty consumers. Furthermore, he will repair his ship on his own by visiting a shipyard if necessary. The logistician is paid a wage of 40 credits per Mizura flown, payable after each trip.

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Sat, 10. Mar 18, 14:11

ZaphodBeeblebrox wrote:Really how's that work out then?

By definition logistics requires trade ships. They are an expense, as far as I remember they also draw wages, a continuing recurring expense.
Simple: You produce internally you make no gain/loss -> you are producing with average price. And "high end products" can rarely be sold for high (only very few, and in low numbers, like crystals), they have to be sold at average price on docks or to NPC's.
If you instead can buy ressources for low and sell products for high -> more profit at every step, from Ore mine to level 2 food, to high tech good.
By leveraging NPC stations you can buy wares for below average and sell for high all the time.

The wages are a drop in the pond compared to what they can give you.
(Everything should have you pay wages anyway imo but thats another story)
[ external image ]
Modeller of X3AP Split Acinonyx, Split Drake, Argon Lotan, Teladi Tern. My current work:

ZaphodBeeblebrox
x4

Post by ZaphodBeeblebrox » Sat, 10. Mar 18, 14:46

Sorry you maths does not add up

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Sat, 10. Mar 18, 17:23

ZaphodBeeblebrox wrote:Sorry you maths does not add up
Because you havent understood it.
If i produce energy cells for my ore mine i dont make profit in those energy cells. If i sell energy cells for high price to somewhere else instead i make profit. And to supply my ore mine i buy energy from somewhere for cheap-> reduction of ressource cost -> profit.

It does not scale forever because NPC stations are limited. But return on investment for "supplementary stations" is much quicker than self sustaining complexs. Selfsustaining complexes are for when you are lazy.
[ external image ]

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 10. Mar 18, 19:27

In other words, every time the player produces a resource or intermediate product needed for their own stations, they have the opportunity to both supply that need AND pocket the difference between what they can reliably sell it for (at a higher price) and what they can also buy it for elsewhere (at lower price) using the NPC trade market. You don't get that chance of making a side profit when you always consume your own produce.

A key need is the reliability of there being both high sell and low buy opportunities with safe access and transfer. You also need to cover the initial cost of the tied transport fleet and of any associated ships that you might lose and replace during the trade for cash-recovery/profit process.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

ZaphodBeeblebrox
x4

Post by ZaphodBeeblebrox » Sat, 10. Mar 18, 21:28

A player Solar Power Plant requires crystals

Solar Power Plant if we sell these as a product then

Costs................Gross.......................Profit
Crystals............Sales of Cells............gross - costs

So if you transport those to your mine they are not free, there is a cost built in to the production.

Silicon Mine

Costs....................... Gross................ Profit
Bought in energy....... Sales of silicon....gross - costs

So buying in energy cheap at whatever cost does not raise profits. Costs always reduce profits.
Your profit margin may be greater with bought in energy or it could better if the price of crystals
is very low.

In order to to be able to sell intermediates you must have over-production.
If you don't then your whole distributed complex is going to grind to a halt.

To have over-production you must have built more infrastructure.
If you are buying in resources to supply this over-production then there are costs
involved in these intermediates. So yes you can make profit off of the intermediates
but they don't come for free either.

[Edit]
Wages are a cost, now they may be low, but we are not going to ignore them either. Using trade ships to transport will result in extra costs.
Replacement if destroyed. At higher levels they get themselves repaired and use jump drives, both extra costs. Cost always reduce profits. Did I say that already?

TheDeliveryMan
x4

Post by TheDeliveryMan » Sun, 11. Mar 18, 02:48

Closed loop complexes without additional trading have a terrible return of investment. You need to spend tens of millions for stations and CCKs and won't make a single credit profit for transporting resources.

On the other hand, you could outsource bio, food, crystal and energy production to the Yaki by taking build missions and setting up logistics to supply the factories. For example, such an energy loop (Nostrop Oil based, size 2x L = 5x M) will give you a profit of 1 million credits per hour on top of all excess energy cells.

ZaphodBeeblebrox
x4

Post by ZaphodBeeblebrox » Sun, 11. Mar 18, 08:55

TheDeliveryMan said
Closed loop complexes without additional trading have a terrible return of investment.
Errm.. No they don't. Yes my initial investment is higher. So in the short term your distributed complex may be more profitable.

However at some point I will have paid off the initial investment and recouped all of my costs. After this point I have no costs. Every item sold is pure profit.

You on the other hand are buying in from several sources. That involves a cost for each resource. You will always have these costs and they affect the profit you make, forever. So in the medium to long term the closed loop is always more profitable.

Now I built complexes to supply energy, food, and secondary resources as products. So I supplied to every level of the economy. Wherever I built the local markets tended to become saturated with my produce.

Return to “X4: Foundations”