X3AP-3.3 save failed

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Terran Conflict, X³: Albion Prelude or X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

VincentTH
x4

X3AP-3.3 save failed

Post by VincentTH » Fri, 19. Jan 18, 19:33

I have updated Steam's X3AP to 3.3 and X3TC to 3.4 on my Windows 10 .

I have verfied the local cache using Steam, and everything checked for both X3AP and X3TC. I even uninstalled X3AP and redownloaded the game to no avail.

When I start a new game in X3TC, save file works fine when I dock at a station.
When I start a new game in X3AP, save failed. ([EDIT] This with Steam Cloud Sync disabled)

I have checked the path on my Documents, and both paths (Documents/Egosoft/X3ap|X3TC/Save are present, and the save game for X3TC is present.

It appears that X3AP 3.3 now only save on Steam? I ask because when I turn on Sync with Steam Cloud, there was a warning message of WIndows 10 Firewall blocking something, but I could not find the infos about what app/directory/file Windows 10 try to block.

I have researched Google, and some users had problems with X3AP save when Bit Defender was on, but I don't have Bit Defender running on my PC.

What gives?

I have no problem saving in previous versions of X3AP.

DxDiag

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Fri, 19. Jan 18, 20:25

Have you made sure to download the latest NoSteam.exe, after updating X3AP?
VincentTH wrote:It appears that X3AP 3.3 now only save on Steam? I ask because when I turn on Sync with Steam Cloud, there was a warning message of WIndows 10 Firewall blocking something, but I could not find the infos about what app/directory/file Windows 10 try to block.
Unlikely, since Steam Cloud Sync is only an additional feature, which becomes active after the save file has been created locally on your PC. You can also deactivate it in the Steam Client entry for your game under Properties -> Updates -> Steam Cloud.
As for the Windows Firewall, you can block/unblock single programs. See the explanation on this website for reference.
VincentTH wrote:I have researched Google, and some users had problems with X3AP save when Bit Defender was on, but I don't have Bit Defender running on my PC.
The cause can also be a different antivirus software. It's certainly worth to check the one you're using.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

VincentTH
x4

Post by VincentTH » Fri, 19. Jan 18, 21:25

X2-Illuminatus wrote:Have you made sure to download the latest NoSteam.exe, after updating X3AP?
VincentTH wrote:It appears that X3AP 3.3 now only save on Steam? I ask because when I turn on Sync with Steam Cloud, there was a warning message of WIndows 10 Firewall blocking something, but I could not find the infos about what app/directory/file Windows 10 try to block.
Unlikely, since Steam Cloud Sync is only an additional feature, which becomes active after the save file has been created locally on your PC. You can also deactivate it in the Steam Client entry for your game under Properties -> Updates -> Steam Cloud.
As for the Windows Firewall, you can block/unblock single programs. See the explanation on this website for reference.
VincentTH wrote:I have researched Google, and some users had problems with X3AP save when Bit Defender was on, but I don't have Bit Defender running on my PC.
The cause can also be a different antivirus software. It's certainly worth to check the one you're using.

I use Windows Defender.

It worked before, just does not work on X3AP 3.3. 3.3 nosteam version had the same problem

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 19. Jan 18, 22:26

First back-up anything in your X3AP Documents folder that you want to keep (profiles, screenshots, old saves, etc).

Check that the Documents/Egosoft/X3AP/save folder is not set to read only. This can happen when save folders are copied or moved elsewhere. Make sure that the folder is not set to encrypt or compress files.

Check that that folder does not contain an X99.sav file. If it does then manually delete just that file. Try the game again.

Are you having the same issue with saving X3AP screenshots and control profiles in their folders in Documents/Egosoft/X3AP/...

Is there anything important in any sub folders of that Documents X3AP folder? If not then manually delete the current Documents/Egosoft/X3AP folder in entirety and let the game create a new one from scratch during a fresh gamestart. (Did you delete that folder when you reinstalled the game?)

Good luck.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

VincentTH
x4

Post by VincentTH » Fri, 19. Jan 18, 22:56

Alan Phipps wrote:First back-up anything in your X3AP Documents folder that you want to keep (profiles, screenshots, old saves, etc).

Check that the Documents/Egosoft/X3AP/save folder is not set to read only. This can happen when save folders are copied or moved elsewhere. Make sure that the folder is not set to encrypt or compress files.

Check that that folder does not contain an X99.sav file. If it does then manually delete just that file. Try the game again.

Are you having the same issue with saving X3AP screenshots and control profiles in their folders in Documents/Egosoft/X3AP/...

Is there anything important in any sub folders of that Documents X3AP folder? If not then manually delete the current Documents/Egosoft/X3AP folder in entirety and let the game create a new one from scratch during a fresh gamestart. (Did you delete that folder when you reinstalled the game?)

Good luck.
That works. I renamed Document/Egosoft to Document/Egosoft.old and it worked!!!!

Thanks for saving my hair!!!!!!

[EDIT] But I don't know where X3AP3.3 saves the saved game!!!!! Look every where, but could not find it!!!!

[EDIT] Found it. For AP3.3, (and TC3.4), the save directory is inside the X3AP executable directory (Steam/SteamLibrary/X3TC|X3AP)
Last edited by VincentTH on Sat, 20. Jan 18, 02:53, edited 2 times in total.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 19. Jan 18, 23:03

Good to hear! Enjoy the game.

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sun, 21. Jan 18, 11:22

VincentTH wrote:[EDIT] But I don't know where X3AP3.3 saves the saved game!!!!! Look every where, but could not find it!!!!

[EDIT] Found it. For AP3.3, (and TC3.4), the save directory is inside the X3AP executable directory (Steam/SteamLibrary/X3TC|X3AP)
This suggests that there's still something wrong with the access permissions of your documents folder, as the savegame location hasn't been changed with the latest updates.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 21. Jan 18, 12:48

"(Steam/SteamLibrary/X3TC|X3AP)"

That is not even the standard Steam gamefile path which would be:

'Steam\steamapps\common\x3 terran conflict' (with the X3AP files apart from the exe in the addon folder in there).

You have a non-standard Steam set-up and directory path so I am not surprised it is working in a way we do not recognise. If your Steam folder is within 'Program Files' or 'Program Files (x86)' then you would indeed potentially have access and saving issues.

We never did get the bottom of this either: ".. when I turn on Sync with Steam Cloud, there was a warning message of WIndows 10 Firewall blocking something ..". Maybe Firewall is stopping you saving too.

VincentTH
x4

Post by VincentTH » Wed, 14. Mar 18, 00:04

Alan Phipps wrote:"(Steam/SteamLibrary/X3TC|X3AP)"

That is not even the standard Steam gamefile path which would be:

'Steam\steamapps\common\x3 terran conflict' (with the X3AP files apart from the exe in the addon folder in there).

You have a non-standard Steam set-up and directory path so I am not surprised it is working in a way we do not recognise. If your Steam folder is within 'Program Files' or 'Program Files (x86)' then you would indeed potentially have access and saving issues.

We never did get the bottom of this either: ".. when I turn on Sync with Steam Cloud, there was a warning message of WIndows 10 Firewall blocking something ..". Maybe Firewall is stopping you saving too.
Sorry I have not visited this thread, but I should have.

I have a 256GB SSD on C drive, so I use Steam's library relocation feature as a means to resolve disk capacity on C drive, therefore, the steam location is on the D drive. (in other words, it is NOT a non-standard setup, rather a Steam feature). I also have the dirctory Document/Egosoft on the D: drive.

Turns out that the problem is with Windows Defender. I just have to allow X3AP (on its new Steam location) to write the save file to the D: drive for it to work.

By default, Steam installation only register to Windows for the copy of it/X3AP on the (C drive) (to have permission to write the save file to the Document/egosoft directory) . IMHO, Steam Relocation codes should warn the user that by relocating an app/game, (s)he should also allow access (to write to Document/egosoft dir) to the game executable at the new location.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude / Farnham's Legacy - Technical Support”