walking boots [resolved with Lowa Boots]

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mrbadger
x3tc

walking boots [resolved with Lowa Boots]

Post by mrbadger » Mon, 12. Mar 18, 13:28

I need some decent boots. I have shoes, but they don’t really cut it for poor weather, particularly not with my trying to walk more.
I want to buy walking boots again, but these days I have to wear an orthotic that looks something like this example.
Only mine is made to fit and goes inside any shoes I currently own.

I don’t expect it to be a problem.

But, I don’t want to waste my time and money on unsuitable boots.

I need to be able to fit anti ice things on them when the weather gets bad.

I need them to be waterproof without having to add anything to them.

I need them to be comfortable without needing to be ‘broken in’, because I can’t walk the sorts of distances that would require.

Anyone have suggestions?
Last edited by mrbadger on Sun, 18. Mar 18, 11:25, edited 3 times in total.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Mon, 12. Mar 18, 14:54

I buy cheap stuff because I destroy my shoes expensive or otherwise, but this is what I go with at the moment: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06 ... UTF8&psc=1

They last me about a year of pretty much continuous wear. Less usage or just looking after them slightly would last a lot longer. They are good from the get go without needing to break them in. I wear special insole things as well so I expect they can handle your needs.

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Mon, 12. Mar 18, 15:09

If I've understood you correctly you've got a contradictory requirement there - if by "fit anti ice things on them" you mean use crampons, they require a fairly rigid sole. This won't work well with "light weight walking boots", which in turn means you're likely to need to break them in.
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Mon, 12. Mar 18, 15:34

well they don't have to be light weight. They can be pretty solid, but yeah, I do need to be able to not slip in snow and ice.

I can't walk too far, how far do you need to walk to break something in?

If my feet start to get painful I can't take the boots off and keep walking, I'd become immobile, even If I started practicing in the summer.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Mon, 12. Mar 18, 16:00

Have you considered Wellies? They surely meet the "waterproof" requirements, don't need to be broken in and there are varieties with fur inside, hence fit for snow & ice.

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

Warenwolf
x4

Post by Warenwolf » Mon, 12. Mar 18, 16:24

RegisterMe wrote:If I've understood you correctly you've got a contradictory requirement there - if by "fit anti ice things on them" you mean use crampons, they require a fairly rigid sole. This won't work well with "light weight walking boots", which in turn means you're likely to need to break them in.
Well, speaking from Norwegian perspective here (no lack of ice in winter moths), crampons don't need that rigid or heavy sole. The problem is that they are not easy on the foot/legs when we are talking about the long walks - I have damaged tendons and generally avoid using crampons unless the ground is totally ice covered and chance of getting my head cracked by hitting the ground outweighs other concerns..

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 12. Mar 18, 16:33

Are we really talking about crampons here, or just about some kind of non-slip or studded attachment for walking in slippery conditions? I'm asking because I can't quite imagine mrbadger needing this kind of thing designed for high-level mountaineering, which is what you need harder boots for. Maybe I'm underestimating him though!

devilofbelfast
xr

Post by devilofbelfast » Mon, 12. Mar 18, 16:45

Thats an absolutely crazy price to pay for a tiny piece of metal! Who's selling these, a teladi? I got a set of snow studs in tk max for £3, the studs are basicly the head of a bolt but they keep me upright/not slipping when dog walking in the snow/ice.

Boots are a different matter though, anything priced under £100 will generally last less than a month before starting to fall apart. For constant daily wear, best bet would be getting a pair custom made so you can ensure decent soles are used.

*edit for spelling

*edit 2, Wellie boots weere mentioned above, dont discount these. I've taken to wearing them at least 6 months out of the year.. Not bad when you consider they only cost £15 from tesco! Pretty comfortable too
the four most important things iv'e found out,
1, your birth certificate is an apology letter from the condom factory.
2, dont argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experiance.
3, if gods watching us, the least we can do is be entertaining,
4, Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Mon, 12. Mar 18, 16:58

I just need something to stop me sliding on ice. I doubt I need crampons, but something less extreme, wires or somesuch that clip on the bottom of boots, but they still have to be very good boots.

I have fold back spikes on my crutches, but I need something for my feet.

Wellies are no good, my feet need to be held firmly, since I can't do it on my own any more.

I went and looked at some walking boots, but frankly I have no idea what would be a good brand to buy.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 12. Mar 18, 17:09

There are actually lots of good brands for walking boots. Which one is best for you will depend partly on your foot shape. Look at Merrell, Salomon, Scarpa, Lowa and Meindl for starters. Personally I'd avoid Karrimor and Hi-Tec for your requirements; those two are OK for the really light weight stuff, but tend not to offer such good support. For similar reasons I'd suggest not to go for Mountain Warehouse or Quechua/Decathlon own-brand ones.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Mon, 12. Mar 18, 17:15

Depending on what anti slip attachments you are using soft treads seem to grip better but don't last as long. Hard treads don't seem to grip well and when they get wet can be slippery. They do sell ice grips/cleats for shoes but you might have to take them off when entering buildings. I would keep in mind that some of them may injure you if you slip and hit your leg with them. Some can also catch on your clothes and wreck your clothes. You could also see what seniors do since falling is a big fear for them. I can only imagine they have come up with some solutions.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... =ice+grips

I usually buy leather hiking shoes and treat them to water proof them. I hate hiking boots that go above my ankles because I end up fighting against them. I prefer runners. The only time I prefer hiking boots that go above my ankles is when I have to use gaiters for areas where there's lots of snow.

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Mon, 12. Mar 18, 17:24

CBJ wrote:Are we really talking about crampons here, or just about some kind of non-slip or studded attachment for walking in slippery conditions? I'm asking because I can't quite imagine mrbadger needing this kind of thing designed for high-level mountaineering, which is what you need harder boots for. Maybe I'm underestimating him though!
Ah yeah, good call. It's very possible that there are alternatives for walking in snow / on ice rather than climbing.

EDIT: I have a pair of light weight Scarpa boots that I am very happy with.
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Mon, 12. Mar 18, 18:37

I'll also add my above the ankle hiking boots slip on water on certain surfaces like University linoleum floors/hallways areas or whatever that stuff is. I also had a couple pair of hard soled work shoes that did the same on smooth concrete when it was wet.

It also seems that some of the shoe attachments may make some other surfaces slippery that wouldn't normally be slippery like tile and smooth concrete. You might have to remove them if you go to a store, etc... They may also damage some surfaces like asphalt. Maybe different grips are needed for different conditions? Some seem for ice and some more for snow.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Mon, 12. Mar 18, 18:41

CBJ wrote:There are actually lots of good brands for walking boots. Which one is best for you will depend partly on your foot shape. Look at Merrell, Salomon, Scarpa, Lowa and Meindl for starters.
I've written those down, thanks. We're going to start shopping for them soon, I'll take my time choosing the right pair. Own brand boots were never going to be considered, I'd not know who made them.

At present I'm using this on my crutches.

They work really well, and can be flipped up when I get indoors. I don't know that I'd want spikes on my feet.

Well sometimes (like in this recent icy spat) I think I might, but I couldn't easily take them off myself, and as a rule people, most notably the facilities office in my faculty might take exception to my walking in with spikes on my feet.

Maybe boots where I had the option of buying spikes, but could also get something less extreme...
Last edited by mrbadger on Mon, 12. Mar 18, 18:48, edited 2 times in total.

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Mon, 12. Mar 18, 18:44

CBJ wrote: Which one is best for you will depend partly on your foot shape.
I'd agree with CBJ here. As a owner of narrow, low instep feet I have to try boots on to see if they are comfy and the brands vary considerably in foot shape as most (all?) manufacturers don't offer different width sizes. (Seems to me - just Wide and Extra Wide ;) )

One other thing some boots claim that they are waterproof - they may be but if they aren't breathable or you have particularly sweaty feet - your feet can end being very damp after a day in them.

Edit: Pity there aren't shoes/ boots using sipes (as used on winter tyres).
Last edited by Redvers Ganderpoke on Mon, 12. Mar 18, 18:50, edited 1 time in total.
A flower?

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 12. Mar 18, 18:44

I think what you're looking for is the kind of thing burger1 described, which seem to be referred to as ice cleats. They're more like studs than spikes.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 12. Mar 18, 18:56

Whenever I've been stuck having to walk with the threat of ice for any period of time and didn't have any specialized shoes, I'd use metal-spiked golf shoes... These days, they don't let you use metal cleats anymore. Instead, they're soft rubbery things, but the spikes use a standard socket in the bottom of the sole and can be exchanged as needed. (Well, they used to be. I haven't bought a pair of golf shoes in a long while, since the ones I have had for a long time suit me just fine.) If one could find a set of metal cleats/spikes, then it wouldn't be a problem. And, golf shoes come in a variety of styles and are designed for comfort. (My favorite pair was a nice pair of Footjoy "tennis shoe" looking golf-shoes.) Though, metal golf-spikes aren't sharp, they worked in a pinch to keep me from busting my butt in the driveway. :) )

Nothing short of true "crampons" is going to prevent slips and falls on true ice. Ice is bad and wasn't invented to be walked on. (It's for putting in your scotch... :) ) And, crampons aren't for "walking" with, either, unless you're an Antarctic explorer or mountainclimber. (And, if you are either, I recommend you stop doing that and take up scotch...)

Cleats have changed in sports from the old metal styles to fancy rubber and silicone things that don't tear up the turf/surface or ruin carpets. I'd think there might still be metal cleats/spikes available, somewhere.

https://www.footjoy.com/golf-shoes/men/ ... mid=nosale

At the bottom are some "waterproof golf boots" that might fit the bill as far as allowing for some traction/less slippage, while not being as uncomfortable and unwieldy as a pair of Amundsen-grade planetary explorer boots... :)

(If you really need heavy boots and crampons, you probably don't need to be out walking. Just my two coppers.)

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Mon, 12. Mar 18, 19:22

Redvers Ganderpoke wrote:Edit: Pity there aren't shoes/ boots using sipes (as used on winter tyres).

They have shoes with non slip /slip resistant soles. Hiking boots usually don't have these because they are meant for durability and things like walking on sharp rocks. Hiking boots soles are usually hard and have more solid less rigid/cut soles. This makes them worse on ice/slippery surfaces. Kind of like winter tires versus summer tires. Ones soft and has many cuts/sipes while the other is harder with less cuts/sipes.

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Mon, 12. Mar 18, 19:32

I can very much recommend these. Used by the military in many countries, which is a decent recommendation too. ( In my books at least...)

They are similar to the Mountain GTX, also by Lowa, but without the Gore-tex, which is something I very much recommend! You might think Gore-tex is a good thing, but not on boots, Gore-tex is just not breathable enough, your sweat will still end up drenching your feet and causing problems for your feet/skin. Not to mention that they will need much longer to dry when they get drenched. I know they are expensive, but they fit like a glove from the box and need little breaking in. You should not skimp on footwear because you spend so much time on your feet, ( if you are lucky. :) )

Lowa do a variety of boots and other footwear, all good as far as I know. They all will require some maintenance of course, so do not think you will get away without some maintenance, ( as do all makes, ) but these should be good to go from the box.

I will be buying some new ones of these shortly, but will have to buy them mail order, as only the Gore-tex ones are available in a shop. ( So far...)
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 12. Mar 18, 19:37

I wear leather oxdford dress shoes with slip-resistant soles, also known as "safety shoes" designed for both office and walking in slippery conditions, like a wet floor or oily warehouse floor. They're full "dress shoes" but with rubber oil-resistant soles and they can't easily be distinguished from a full dress shoe with leather sole.

I've got crappy knees, so like having a bit of insurance against sudden slips and falls.

I have also owned ", leather, dress, saddle-oxford, water resistant, rubber-soled, oil-resistant sole, safety-shoes" too. They have a special tongue seam and are indistinguishable from a normal leather saddle-oxford dress shoe in other respects, as long as one doesn't look at the bottom of the shoe. The "water-resistant" versions are a little bit harder to find, but I'm sure someone makes them.

PS - The "safety-shoe" part has nothing do with steel uppers/toe-caps, but in "dress shoes" means the sole is oil-resistant, so it doesn't break down easily, and made of rubber designed to provide better traction. They don't work very well on real ice, but nothing aside from spikes/crampons do. They're better than nothing, though, and stylish. :)

Return to “Off Topic English”