walking boots [resolved with Lowa Boots]

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Mon, 12. Mar 18, 23:38

Am I remembering correct in thinking you live in the Oxford area? If so there are these two Lowa stockists in the area.

If not you can use the search function for elsewhere. :)

I have not seen Lowa boots in Go outdoors, at least here in Cheshire.

Edit: Not that they stock the patrol boot it seems. :(
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Mon, 12. Mar 18, 23:55

My Lowa Terrano lasted me for 9 years of intense usage so far... (intense as they are both my hiking boots and my winter boots.) They are a bit pricey, but the quality and durability is there. And I never had any trouble fitting foot spikes on them (or ice cleats as mrbadger called them. Thanks for the info! :))
They are full leather boots, so you don't have to fear about the waterproof part, plus it's one of the reason why they are so durable. It also make them a bit more adaptable to the foot, and they are a bit faster to mold to your foot. You will still require a bit of walking for that, though, no matter which boots you pick.

But whatever we say, you will have to try some boots and see how they fit you. No amount of advice will beat how you feel with your feet in the boots.

A word on ice cleats, from someone who use them a lot:
-If you're only in the city, the smallest versions is what you need. I'm talking about the ones that looks a bit like little studs. They come in various models and are sold in various places. They don't look like much, but basically all you need is a small surface of metal to make a solid contact with the ice. A small chain would do, and some cleats are designed like chains.
-The half inch (1.2cm) version should be kept for hiking, as they are a uncomfortable with anything less than a full cm of ice or packed snow. You will find them in outdoor-oriented sport stores
-Anything bigger is for very intense and specific usage, like glacier walking or ice climbing. You usually find them only in specialized stores.
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

Warenwolf
x4

Post by Warenwolf » Tue, 13. Mar 18, 00:06

CBJ wrote:Are we really talking about crampons here, or just about some kind of non-slip or studded attachment for walking in slippery conditions? I'm asking because I can't quite imagine mrbadger needing this kind of thing designed for high-level mountaineering, which is what you need harder boots for. Maybe I'm underestimating him though!
Yep, just me using the wrong word. Had bit of chuckle imagining mrbadger waltzing around with cramptons you linked to.

This is what I had in mind: https://unikia.com/products/nordic-grip-walking

PS:
As to YakTrax, they are deathtrap on hard ice.

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Tue, 13. Mar 18, 01:15

Warenwolf wrote: As to YakTrax, they are deathtrap on hard ice.
Good to know. I'm more used to the half-inch spikes. I do a lot of hiking.
What you suggest is pretty good stuff!
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Tue, 13. Mar 18, 10:09

greypanther wrote:Am I remembering correct in thinking you live in the Oxford area? If so there are these two Lowa stockists in the area.

If not you can use the search function for elsewhere. :)

I have not seen Lowa boots in Go outdoors, at least here in Cheshire.

Edit: Not that they stock the patrol boot it seems. :(
we're going to Bicester next weekend, we'll drop by and I can try them on :)
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Tue, 13. Mar 18, 10:29

Morkonan wrote:I wear leather oxdford dress shoes with slip-resistant soles.
I've a pair of Loakes' shoes (mainly as they do different width fittings) with "commando" Goodyear rubber soles and they are very good in the snow, ice and wet and resist slipping. Unfortunately they don't meet mrbadger's requirement for "no breaking in" as they took several months and a supply of blister plasters to get comfy - they are now very comfy - in fact one of the most comfortable pair of shoes I've had in a long while.
A flower?

Rug
x4

Post by Rug » Tue, 13. Mar 18, 11:55

Ezarkal wrote:My Lowa Terrano <snip> are full leather boots, so you don't have to fear about the waterproof part.
This is true if you alwys clean them properly, and regularly treat the leather with nikwax or similar. Otherwise leather turns to sponge over time ... I'm not sufficiently disciplined (unlike the army, I suppose) to put enough hours into cleaning and drying and polishing and treating muddy boots, so the synthetic option works better for me... Drop them somewhere warm, and leave them until the mud dries and falls off !

Horses for courses

Rug
I like to think everyone just wants to feel human.

(Antilogic)

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Tue, 13. Mar 18, 13:14

I have no objection to cleaning/polishing boots to maintain them.

I object to buying boots that I'd then have treat in order to make them waterproof on first getting them home, because that just means they're rubbish and will only get worse.

My Dryzabone Coat needs, or will need rewaxing, and I have to be careful looking after that. But when I first got it, apart from smelling rather a lot of wax it was fantastic. With the Marino wool lining it's like an oven inside unless it's *really* cold weather. At which point it becomes just rather warm. I can't wear anything other than a t-shirt on my upper body under it when the wool linings in.

I anticipate never replacing it, but that's what happens when you buy stuff to last.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Tue, 13. Mar 18, 13:21

put the boots and soak them well..
- they then will shape to suit your feet
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

berth
x4

Post by berth » Tue, 13. Mar 18, 13:59

I like Meindl personally.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Tue, 13. Mar 18, 14:45

berth wrote:I like Meindl personally.
nice boots, and looking through the site I found some I liked, but there's nowhere near me that sells them :(

berth
x4

Post by berth » Tue, 13. Mar 18, 15:02

That's a pity, 'cos you they are indeed good boots. But you definitely need to try this kind of thing on before buying.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Tue, 13. Mar 18, 18:29

I'll keep the list of makes. I don't have to make the purchase till next autumn, so I can just put the money aside and if we go somewhere that has a stockist, take the opportunity to buy them.

I just can't leave it till winter turns up again. I have to be used to the boots by the time I wear them on ice for the first time.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 13. Mar 18, 19:35

Redvers Ganderpoke wrote:
Morkonan wrote:I wear leather oxdford dress shoes with slip-resistant soles.
I've a pair of Loakes' shoes (mainly as they do different width fittings) with "commando" Goodyear rubber soles and they are very good in the snow, ice and wet and resist slipping. Unfortunately they don't meet mrbadger's requirement for "no breaking in" as they took several months and a supply of blister plasters to get comfy - they are now very comfy - in fact one of the most comfortable pair of shoes I've had in a long while.
I generally buy mid-tier department store saddle oxfords, like Rockports, out of habit. (I used to work in an environment that had formal offices, but then also had manufacturing and warehousing areas, so relatively inexpensive, for men's shoes ($100 or so) shoes were preferred, since I would often find myself going back and forth between areas, which could be hazardous for dress shoes.)

I've never had to "break in" a pair of Rockports. It could be that my foot just fits right in them. /shrug

I also use thing like this: Amazon: Cedar Shoe Tree so the shoe keeps its shape. There are some shoe "stretchers" with attachments to help make a shoe more comfortable by stretching it out in certain places. But, I just use the shoe trees so the shoe keeps its form, even if it's rather "damp" after being worn all day. (Can change the shape as the leather shrinks/warps/etc)

The most expensive shoes I ever bought were also the most uncomfortable darn things I've ever worn... Just because of that experience, I'll never buy an expensive shoe that I can't try on and ensure it feels comfortable on Day 1.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Sat, 17. Mar 18, 17:11

Resolved this completely out of the blue today, while actually out looking for Chilli plugs in Bicester...

Saw an outdoors equipment shop, thought, well, it's cold again, this a good chance to buy some better gloves, and what do I see on their shelves?

Some Lowa Laurin Pro GTX Boots! In my size too!

The shop assistant was a bit puzzled why I wasn't buying them for mounteneering, he kept asking me if I wouldn't find some less complex boot more suitable once he finally took it on board that I was just going to be walking.

But I know what I wanted, and I had the money. Besides, I was wearing a leg support and using crutches, did I loook like I was about to climb a mountain? I don't think so.

Really happy with the purchase, and now I have ages to get used to them before next winter.

I've also very likely got some spinal surgery coming up soon, which will mean lots of walking to recover, and that means solid footwear to provide good support. I think I have it now.

Thanks guys :D

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sat, 17. Mar 18, 18:16

Congrats!

What's a "Chilli Plug?"

I'd Google it... but, it sounds dangerous to Google...

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Sat, 17. Mar 18, 18:39

A baby Chilli plant. I didn't have room indoors to germinate my own seeds this year. The crappy weather and slugs from under my neighbors decking last year wrecked all my good plants, except for four of the best ones I had room for indoors all year. So I've got to start over.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sat, 17. Mar 18, 18:51

Ah, gotcha, that's what I thought you were addressing.

A friend of mine grows chilis for his home-made hot sauce and relish. He built some "raised beds" for his pepper patch and I think it worked out pretty well for him. Though, there probably weren't any weather issues, slugs and rabbits were more of a concern.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Sun, 18. Mar 18, 11:28

When I said about walking on ice he thought I wanted to buy some big spikes too (there were ome right next to the boots), but I declined, on the grounds that our facilities people would murder me if I came into our faculty building wearing them.

I'll look for something suitable over the next year while I get used to the boots.

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Sun, 18. Mar 18, 12:31

The idea of boots needing to help you on ice. . .

Wow.

That's a different life to what I live. ;)
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

Return to “Off Topic English”