How about cleaning up and mergeing all Cat files ?

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X Rebirth.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Browser_ice
x4

How about cleaning up and mergeing all Cat files ?

Post by Browser_ice » Tue, 13. Mar 18, 00:45

Since we are now up to 9 Cat files, how about someone cleans up and merge all cat files to have one single version of every single file ?

It is kind of pointless to lets say have 5 different file versions when only the last one is used.

This would help the MOD community alot and help to update them to the latest version.
Steam X-Superbox, XR, playing X4
WIndows-10
Intel I7-3770
16Gb Memory
Nvgidia GTX-1060

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Tue, 13. Mar 18, 01:20

Why do you think that only the last one is in use? And what do you mean by "clean up"; what is there to "clean"?

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Tue, 13. Mar 18, 17:02

not really for multiple reasons:
=> there is a size limit of 2GB per dat file, so you have to split them anyway
=> to extract the reference files you have to pass all cat/dat files, and if your Extract Script/batch file is written properly (or you know how to select multiple files if using the gui for this) it doesnt matter in how many cats/dats the Game files are anyway.
=> Extract time also doesnt really change, because only the current file is extracted from the Cats/Dats when using egos tools
=> Because Steam supports only full file replacements for Uptates it would equal a full re-download of the Game - this will probably lead to many :rant: and :evil:
=> for major Updates Ego usually adds a new Cat/Dat, so you can easily see what has been changed (for minor stuff the cats/dats are usually changed, but these only contain code / balancing changes, not data-heavy Assets)
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

Return to “X Rebirth - Scripts and Modding”